Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I would absolutely love to see Sheffield back in SL, went to see them a fair few times in the 90s and have a massive soft spot for them and the city. 

I was there when they got 10,500 for the Wigan game a week after the challenge cup final in 1998. You won't get that a Moor Lane

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I was there when they got 10,500 for the Wigan game a week after the challenge cup final in 1998. You won't get that at Moor Lane

Only 7365 there that day.

The only time 10000+ were at a DVS game was when Bradford clinched top spot in the league.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I was there when they got 10,500 for the Wigan game a week after the challenge cup final in 1998. You won't get that a Moor Lane

What’s Moor Lane got to do with it? 

Just now, Griff said:

Only 7365 there that day.

The only time 10000+ were at a DVS game was when Bradford clinched top spot in the league.

Yes you are right. I had the 10,500 figure in my head and it was a Sky match with Bradford as you said. The Wigan was a Saturday afternoon IIRC. Looked great though even in a 20k stadium. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

What’s Moor Lane got to do with it? 

If you get a tiny stadium you get tiny crowds. Sheffield will hopefully get that capacity up to 3900 so they can enjoy some good Championship crowds. It would need to be at least double that to be viable in SL.

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If you get a tiny stadium you get tiny crowds. Sheffield will hopefully get that capacity up to 3900 so they can enjoy some good Championship crowds. It would need to be at least double that to be viable in SL.

Salford don’t get big crowds in a bigger stadium though, and nor do a number of other SL clubs. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Salford don’t get big crowds in a bigger stadium though, and nor do a number of other SL clubs. 

Huddersfield, Cas, Hull KR, Salford, Wakefield and Sheffield have all had 10,000+ home crowds in the SL era. If you don't have the capacity you will never achieve those crowds. Judging a club's potential on where they are now is folly. 

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Huddersfield, Cas, Hull KR, Salford, Wakefield and Sheffield have all had 10,000+ home crowds in the SL era. If you don't have the capacity you will never achieve those crowds. Judging a club's potential on where they are now is folly. 

One 10k crowd in 25 years isn’t a sign of potential to have regular 10k crowds. When were Huddersfield, Salford or Trinity’s last 10k crowds? Charlton Athletic once had a crowd of 75k, they don’t need a ground that big either. 

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I support Fev and go to most matches but the Olympic Legacy Park is only 10 min away by car.Really easy to get to by Supertram from city centre or several bus routes.By car get off at Meadowhall turn off and follow signs for city centre it's a couple of miles down the road on the left just past Sheffiel Arena.

Yep being near public transport is a must for city clubs looking for fanbase. 

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

One 10k crowd in 25 years isn’t a sign of potential to have regular 10k crowds. When were Huddersfield, Salford or Trinity’s last 10k crowds? Charlton Athletic once had a crowd of 75k, they don’t need a ground that big either. 

That is taking it to extremes. Cas got 10,500 for a home game against Salford because they had the capacity and actually got off their backsides and made the effort. Same with Hull KR against Warrington next month. Both of those clubs have had regular 5-7k crowds. Wigan got 17k against London (Harlequins) a few years ago but will probably get 8-9k tonight.

So is Cas' potential 5k or 10k? Is Wigan's 15-20k or 8-10k?

I have been to Sheffield with regular 5k+ crowds in SL. So although 3k is okay for now it is way under its potential. I wish them good luck and hope they can get that 3,900 capacity asap. They have had a #### few years luck wise.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That is taking it to extremes. Cas got 10,500 for a home game against Salford because they had the capacity and actually got off their backsides and made the effort. Same with Hull KR against Warrington next month. Both of those clubs have had regular 5-7k crowds. Wigan got 17k against London (Harlequins) a few years ago but will probably get 8-9k tonight.

So is Cas' potential 5k or 10k? Is Wigan's 15-20k or 8-10k?

I have been to Sheffield with regular 5k+ crowds in SL. So although 3k is okay for now it is way under its potential. I wish them good luck and hope they can get that 3,900 capacity asap. They have had a #### few years luck wise.

Well yeah completely agree on the last part, SL’s ruining of Sheffield Eagles must be in the sport’s all time top 3 own goals, against some massively stiff competition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Sheffield are tenants and have a 5 year agreement to play at the OLP. The Scarborough Group have responsibility for developing and managing the stadium and understandably will only build more if they can return a profit. The primary driving force for the new build is the business and conference space contained within not a spectator stand per se. There was more chance of further development happening when Sheff Utd ladies' team played there but following the fall outs around the football club they've now moved to Chesterfield. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Sheffield are tenants and have a 5 year agreement to play at the OLP. The Scarborough Group have responsibility for developing and managing the stadium and understandably will only build more if they can return a profit. The primary driving force for the new build is the business and conference space contained within not a spectator stand per se. There was more chance of further development happening when Sheff Utd ladies' team played there but following the fall outs around the football club they've now moved to Chesterfield. 

I didn't know Sheffield United women aren't going to play there anymore. That's a huge blow and gutted for the Eagles as they would have benefitted so much from the stadium requirements.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well yeah completely agree on the last part, SL’s ruining of Sheffield Eagles must be in the sport’s all time top 3 own goals, against some massively stiff competition. 

Am I right in thinking Ralph Rimmer was involved? He seems to score more Own goals in RL than Harry McGuire does for United.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Am I right in thinking Ralph Rimmer was involved? He seems to score more Own goals in RL than Harry McGuire does for United.

He was at Huddersfield wasn't he?

On 17/03/2022 at 14:57, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

What was the reason for the Sheff Utd ladies fallout Les ?. 

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

What was the reason for the Sheff Utd ladies fallout Les ?. 

A fallout between the owners of SUFC, one of whom was Ken McCabe who happens to be the owner of the Scarborough Group. Was pretty acrimonious and ended up going the the High Court with McCabe losing. 

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

A fallout between the owners of SUFC, one of whom was Ken McCabe who happens to be the owner of the Scarborough Group. Was pretty acrimonious and ended up going the the High Court with McCabe losing. 

Ahh yeah some Arab prince got Shef United,  can see Why McCabe wouldnt want them there.  

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Ahh yeah some Arab prince got Shef United,  can see Why McCabe wouldnt want them there.  

Soccer is rotten to the core from FIFA down (apart from Plymouth Argyle FC who are aces!)

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

6 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

Soccer is rotten to the core from FIFA down (apart from Plymouth Argyle FC who are aces!)

Must agree, other than the Plymouth bit, it’s turned me right off. 

23 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

He was at Huddersfield wasn't he?

He was after the merger, yes.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"