Sky Sports halves offer for TV rights

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Rugby League is becoming increasingly marginalised and actively trying to be even more regional.

And it’s a surprise if broadcasters aren’t willing to pay more for it? Why would they?

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

You reap what you sow and by going back to being a regional sport it has less appeal to Sky  and less appeal to sponsors.

Going back?  You are just twisting the truth.  We have a French team.  A Canadian team was a chimera.   Given P&R any non regional team can disappear overnight.

As I regularly point out, RU Premiership is weighted to the M5.  Our game is played in a major population Center.  NFL is based mainly in Sidney and NSW.

So you and your fellow voice need to find a new tune to sing.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, newbe said:

Could mean a lot of league 1 clubs dropping out without £75,000 a year they get from S/L.

Leaving aside whatever tv money the game gets... half the semi professional clubs are not viable as even semi professional.  The whole game is structured on a myth.

12 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Going back?  You are just twisting the truth.  We have a French team.  A Canadian team was a chimera.   Given P&R any non regional team can disappear overnight.

As I regularly point out, RU Premiership is weighted to the M5.  Our game is played in a major population Center.  NFL is based mainly in Sidney and NSW.

So you and your fellow voice need to find a new tune to sing.

We have just let in a team into Super who are in a suburb of Wigan and offer nothing to Super League that isn't already there

25 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Proove that.

The offer on the table is currently half of the current TV deal, Elstone has stated no other ambitions for what he would do with any PE money, every other PE investment into sports has gone to the constituent teams, it doesn't take a genius to work out

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

We have just let in a team into Super who are in a suburb of Wigan and offer nothing to Super League that isn't already there

I wondered how long it would take , tell me , will that club still be in SL when this deal starts ? 

8 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The population of Leigh is around 25% greater than that of Castleford (a suburb of Wakefield by the same definition). get rid too I assume?

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

If it comes to a 10 team Super League that could both be playing in League 1 in the near future.

The offer is for a 12 team SL , the offer for a 10 team might well be less 

Again , will the team from a Wigan suburb still be in SL when this deal starts ?

1 minute ago, Damien said:

How do you know what the offer is for?

I don't , but given the process we've just seen to avoid an 11 team SL you'd have to guess SKY might have had some influence on numbers , unless it was all about the magic weekend ? 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't , but given the process we've just seen to avoid an 11 team SL you'd have to guess SKY might have had some influence on numbers , unless it was all about the magic weekend ? 

But no one knows we needed 12 teams now either. Its just a lot of presumption. 11 teams and an odd number makes no sense for many reasons.

Is the offer (if this report is actually true) for exclusive rights?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

But no one knows we needed 12 teams now either. Its just a lot of presumption. 11 teams and an odd number makes no sense for many reasons.

Actually apart from the MW , an odd number makes no difference at all , in fact it could be viewed as a positive 

Archived