Sky Sports halves offer for TV rights

League Express reporting Sky has offered £20m a year for Super League, worth half the current deal, meaning SL revenue could drop by a third. 

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-receives-tv-rights-blow/

Same story reports Novalpina Capital (who is also eyeing up domestic French RU) have made a £60m formal offer for the management rights for the competition and a third of Super League’s broadcast income for as long as it holds its stake in the competition.

Hmmm.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

League Express reporting Sky has offered £20m a year for Super League, worth half the current deal, meaning SL revenue could drop by a third. 

Same story reports Novalpina Capital (who is also eyeing up domestic French RU) have made a £60m formal offer for the management rights for the competition and a third of Super League’s broadcast income for as long as it holds its stake in the competition.

Hmmm.

If that report is correct on both counts, then Novalpina are looking for a yield of over 11%/year  plus the management rights for their investment. Superleague would be mad to take that deal.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

No other way to describe this than disappointing. 

I cant see an alternative than 10 team league if its £20m. 

We have to hope Elstone can show Sky how an extra £10m or so could really enhance the league. 

Two things we need to accept I think though: 

1. TV deal just gone was golden- all the criticism of it was way over the top. Sky paid a large premium which would have been lost if it went to tender 

2. We cannot waste money like last few years. Yes top of championship is much better but ultimately game not much more sustainable. 

7 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

No other way to describe this than disappointing. 

I cant see an alternative than 10 team league if its £20m. 

We have to hope Elstone can show Sky how an extra £10m or so could really enhance the league. 

Two things we need to accept I think though: 

1. TV deal just gone was golden- all the criticism of it was way over the top. Sky paid a large premium which would have been lost if it went to tender 

2. We cannot waste money like last few years. Yes top of championship is much better but ultimately game not much more sustainable. 

I would guess this is the opening offer from Sky and will see what happens from here.

One thing is for sure that is Robert Elstones negotiation skills are certainly going to be tested

If this is true, it'll make a lot of people very happy. Sadly, a lot of those people characterise themselves as Rugby League fans.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A short while ago an investment group bought 33% of McLaren Cars and F1.  This is the way sports are going.  But these stories need to be backed up with something more than speculation

However the wind is inevitably blowing in that direction. Several RU competitions have gone that way.  

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

A short while ago an investment group bought 33% of McLaren Cars and F1.  This is the way sports are going.  But these stories need to be backed up with something more than speculation

However the wind is inevitably blowing in that direction. Several RU competitions have gone that way.  

We haven't seen what happens when the investors don't get their money back yet, though. That could really get messy with RU, whose clubs where blithely haemorrhaging money hand over fist before the current situation (and the investment).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Hmmm.

And does this story say what the RL would receive other than the capital?  The issue is how does the SL and the game grow. 

If the game does not grow then the investors value falls.   Of course if the diehard miseries are determined to themselves sell the game short it's no wonder sponsors and investors ignore the game.

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

We haven't seen what happens when the investors don't get their money back yet, though. That could really get messy with RU, whose clubs where blithely haemorrhaging money hand over fist before the current situation (and the investment).

Where are they bleeding money?

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Rugby League is becoming increasingly marginalised and actively trying to be even more regional.

And it’s a surprise if broadcasters aren’t willing to pay more for it? Why would they?

You reap what you sow and by going back to being a regional sport it has less appeal to Sky  and less appeal to sponsors.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That said, is this really much of a drop? Don't super league currently only take around £20million from the current 40 or so a year?

Its a massive drop really unless the RFL and lower leagues completely drop the money it currently takes. Yes some savings can be made but the RFL already currently has little income to grow the game.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Who ?

Everyone whose favourite pastime is talking the game down, either in comparison to the NRL, to other sports, to an imaginary golden era of the past or just because they love nothing more than wallowing in misery, cultural cringes and playing the victim (usually of the SL/RFL in general).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived