Young stars shouldn't be criticised for taking NRL chance

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Who criticises them? I have literally heard nobody ever criticise them for taking the opportunity.

I have from so called fans of the clubs they were with here, but not many.

If i had, had the ability and the opportunity i would have certainly taken my chance, but sadly for me i had neither.

Wages here have been cut. More will follow and good luck to them. Ryan Sutton is a clear example of a solid SL player going to the NRL and earning double his wages.

He has probably also improved his game somewhat - though he was a good player before he left. It is not always the coaching that improves you but the quality of players around you setting the standard. The money also is a no brainer.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wages here have been cut. More will follow and good luck to them. Ryan Sutton is a clear example of a solid SL player going to the NRL and earning double his wages.

He has probably also improved his game somewhat - though he was a good player before he left. It is not always the coaching that improves you but the quality of players around you setting the standard. The money also is a no brainer.

Many of our players could double their salary in the NRL

Here is a 13 who would succeed in the NRL 

1 Jack Walker - Leeds 

2 Innes Senior - Huddersfield 

3 Harry Newman - Leeds 

4 Jake Wardle - Huddersfield 

5 Louis Senior - Huddersfield 

6 Jake Trueman - Castleford 

7 Harry Smith - Wigan 

8 Mikael Odeleski - Leeds 

9 Kruise Leeming - Leeds 

10-, Matty Lees-Saints 

11 Liam Byrne - Wigan 

12 Sam Walters - "Leeds

13 Morgan Smithies -, Wigan 

Because of modern training techniques this is our strongest ever potential GB or England team 

17 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

What I was actually amazed at when the list was put up on the `Brits in the NRL` thread what was how few British players there actually are in the NRL. 

Exactly, very few in the grand scheme.

Ten overall.  Six established players in George Williams, Josh Hodgson, Elliot Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, Tom Burgess and Luke Thompson and four youngsters in Harry Rushton, Dominic Young, Bailey Hodgson and Herbie Farnworth.

People talk about a player drain from the Northern Hemisphere but it is far from it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Ten overall.  Six established players in George Williams, Josh Hodgson, Elliot Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, Tom Burgess and Luke Thompson and four youngsters in Harry Rushton, Dominic Young, Bailey Hodgson and Herbie Farnworth.

People talk about a player drain from the Northern Hemisphere but it is far from it.

There’s probably more Fijians?

9 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

There’s probably more Fijians?

Pretty obvious coment - Figi hasn't got a league like SL. Most young Brits can earn very good wages in SL so not all need to go to the NRL.

Players from Fiji have to travel to earn a decent wage as Australia is a lot closer than Europe and they have more teams as well. 

Still don't see the point of this thread as I don't think anyone has criticised young SL players for going down under to progress and for a great life experience. Dont think anyone criticised the likes of Sutton - he was just an average SL forward and no one even mentioned it when he left as he wasn't exactly storming SL. Just an average player who went abroad, your average UK RL fan probably doesn't even know who he is, never mind where he is playing these days.

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

When there was all the talk of the NRL buying Super League a couple of months ago on here there was a lot of talk of SL becoming a feeder system for the NRL. It struck me at the time if that was going to happen why wouldn`t it have happened already, and clearly it hadn`t.

I`m still not convinced that it couldn`t, especially given the amount of young blokes that still come through the system each year in your country, but I think that obviously we are still able to generate enough young players at the moment for our selves not to take the risk of taking young blokes so far away from home.

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Pretty obvious coment - Figi hasn't got a league like SL. Most young Brits can earn very good wages in SL so not all need to go to the NRL.

Players from Fiji have to travel to earn a decent wage as Australia is a lot closer than Europe and they have more teams as well. 

Still don't see the point of this thread as I don't think anyone has criticised young SL players for going down under to progress and for a great life experience. Dont think anyone criticised the likes of Sutton - he was just an average SL forward and no one even mentioned it when he left as he wasn't exactly storming SL. Just an average player who went abroad, your average UK RL fan probably doesn't even know who he is, never mind where he is playing these days.

I think Sutton was scouted or actually recommended, given what you state above what does that say.

Interesting though, backs up what I said above to Dunbar, there are probably loads of British players who could `make it` in the NRL, but presently we are able to generate enough ourselves.

Certainly an increase in the players wage differential could change all that.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

The minimum wage in the NRL has more than doubled from $55,000 in 2012 to $115,000 (£63,000) now. That makes it far more appealing to an average Super League player or even someone starting out in their career to go over and give the NRL a go. 

2 hours ago, The storm said:

Many of our players could double their salary in the NRL

Here is a 13 who would succeed in the NRL 

1 Jack Walker - Leeds 

2 Innes Senior - Huddersfield 

3 Harry Newman - Leeds 

4 Jake Wardle - Huddersfield 

5 Louis Senior - Huddersfield 

6 Jake Trueman - Castleford 

7 Harry Smith - Wigan 

8 Mikael Odeleski - Leeds 

9 Kruise Leeming - Leeds 

10-, Matty Lees-Saints 

11 Liam Byrne - Wigan 

12 Sam Walters - "Leeds

13 Morgan Smithies -, Wigan 

Because of modern training techniques this is our strongest ever potential GB or England team 

Have never seen Sam Walters play so can’t really comment on his potential.

The standout on that list is Jack Walker who I don’t think would get anywhere near being a regular in any NRL side. Far too small and doesn’t even make up for that with elite speed and elusiveness like a Matt Dufty who himself is not a top ten fullback.

Both halves would be interesting and could go well with a complementary partner as could the centres although the longer they leave it the harder the adjustment will be.

28 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The minimum wage in the NRL has more than doubled from $55,000 in 2012 to $115,000 (£63,000) now. That makes it far more appealing to an average Super League player or even someone starting out in their career to go over and give the NRL a go. 

£63k is probably more than half of the players in SL earn. That could even be higher 60%+ The gap is getting wider and wider. Those marquee signings like Inglis are really hiding the reality that many SL players struggle to reach the average national wage.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

And a lot of those people that complain about player drain from the northern hemisphere seem to convienently forget about the significant player gain we get from the NRL.

Each SL club on average has 6 estsblished NRL developed players in their respective squads with roughly 95% of those players making the starting, full strength, match day 17's. Which equates to circa 35% of the entire SL competition full strength 17 match day squads being made up of NRL developed players.

That seems like a bit more of a player drain than SL losing a handful of players.

I'm guessing we had more in the recent past... i.e. Sam Burgess, Tomkins, Widdop etc etc... where as now probably less... I say that because a good many of the England team were in the NRL at last world cup... or on their way following the WC... It improves the England team

Maybe my memory is playing up...

Anyway don't see it as an issue for players maximising their salary and potential... unfortunately their is a downside in losing the best players to SL comp... but one we live with.

Good to see the positive posts on this thread. Put the money aside for one minute but whatever profession you are in if you have anything about you, aim to be the best at what you do and that means moving to the top ranked company or in this case, the top ranked league in your sport.

Whatever you do in life you do not want to be sitting back in a rocking chair at the end of your days thinking .. if only.. What you really want to think is I gave it my best shot and for a league player that's proving your worth in the NRL.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

9 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Good to see the positive posts on this thread. Put the money aside for one minute but whatever profession you are in if you have anything about you, aim to be the best at what you do and that means moving to the top ranked company or in this case, the top ranked league in your sport.

Whatever you do in life you do not want to be sitting back in a rocking chair at the end of your days thinking .. if only.. What you really want to think is I gave it my best shot and for a league player that's proving your worth in the NRL.

Personally I think you should prove yourself in both NRL and SL - plenty of top NRL players gave come to SL and struggled.

The real top top players play in both - leads back to the recent greatest thread when Hanley more or less came top on here and he played in both comps.

Cam Smith may be a great player but in my opinion he's no better than Roby - hard to compair when both have only played in 1 league.

In the past when we lost some of our best like Mal Reilly or Tommy Bishop we had no means of following their progress.  Now we do, and as someone who supports a lower division club here, and tends to look beyond SL for an elite competition to focus on, seeing more English players in the NRL enhances the appeal.

The younger ones are the more significant. NRL clubs might be starting to identify English talent more as they do in NZ.

It`s a conflicted combination of patriotic and unpatriotic, but I`m more excited by what Dom Young might become at the Knights than if he were still at Huddersfield.

19 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Have never seen Sam Walters play so can’t really comment on his potential.

The standout on that list is Jack Walker who I don’t think would get anywhere near being a regular in any NRL side. Far too small and doesn’t even make up for that with elite speed and elusiveness like a Matt Dufty who himself is not a top ten fullback.

Both halves would be interesting and could go well with a complementary partner as could the centres although the longer they leave it the harder the adjustment will be.

Jack Walker is a great prospect but couldn’t get into the Leeds team at the end of last year with Richie Myler picked ahead of him at full back. From the list I think only Oledski would currently get in an NRL side.

16 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Personally I think you should prove yourself in both NRL and SL - plenty of top NRL players gave come to SL and struggled.

The real top top players play in both - leads back to the recent greatest thread when Hanley more or less came top on here and he played in both comps.

Cam Smith may be a great player but in my opinion he's no better than Roby - hard to compair when both have only played in 1 league.

Most of the top players have only played in the NRL, they haven’t played in both competitions. Roby is a great Super League player but to say Cameron Smith is no better than Roby is ridiculous.

35 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Most of the top players have only played in the NRL, they haven’t played in both competitions. Roby is a great Super League player but to say Cameron Smith is no better than Roby is ridiculous.

I don't think it is ridiculous at all.

Roby has been an outstanding player in Super League.  Consistently in the top 3 in the game over here for over a decade.  No one can say for sure whether he would have been a success in the NRL if he had gone there but my personal opinion is that he would have been a sensation.

When you look at the NRL in recent years, the 9's who have come to the fore to push Smith as the best in the game are Damien Cook and Josh Hodgson.  Cook for his running game and Hodgson for his distribution/creativity.  I would suggest that at his best, Roby is a hybrid of these two... his running game has always been a huge threat while his distribution from dummy half is first class.  On top of this he has a huge engine and work rate.

I don't know if Roby would have been better than Cam Smith if they had been playing in opposition in the NRL.  What I do believe though is that Roby would have been far far closer to him than any NRL 9 has been and would have pushed him very close as the best 9 (and maybe even the best player) in the competition.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived