Sun 21 Mar: CC1: West Wales Raiders v Widnes Vikings KO 12:45 (BBC Sport)

Who will win?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• West Wales Raiders
    • Widnes Vikings

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/03/21 at 13:15

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Widnes professional and got the job done without ever really having to get out of first gear. West Wales were okay. Defensively horrible in terms of structure and shape but some of that will be done to fatigue from defending so much but they were alright on the ball with Chase leading them around. I think he’ll be key for them. If he leaves, they’ll be well off the levels they need to be but with him, they’ll be alright. I think they’ll get 2-3 wins this year. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not sure if they’ve actually been in attendance to be honest or just commentating from the stream? I know BBC local radio commentators have been doing that for a lot of the football games. 

Pretty sure they weren't there. A couple of comments from Danika Priim gave the game away.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Enjoyed that. Congratulations Widnes, they did the job as expected against much better opposition than they perhaps expected.

Well done to West Wales too. Plenty of positives to take from that and if they can keep that team together and build they'll go well this year. Plenty of raw talent that will only get better with more game time and they won't play a better team than the Widnes one all year in League 1.

Probably the best rust-loosener Raiders could have had for the season ahead, facing a higher-ranked side that stretched them for most of the match in all areas. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t rate Newsum at all but Danika Priim can certainly talk eloquently.

How has Rangi Chase qualified to play for Wales and what are they doing in the challenge cup anyway?

22 minutes ago, Skids said:

Commentary was dreadful 

had the wife wittering rubbish in one ear and the token female bbc woman stating the obvious  in the other - not how i like to watch the game- Henson looked like a lost budgie in a cattery.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

had the wife wittering rubbish in one ear and the token female bbc woman stating the obvious  in the other - not how i like to watch the game- Henson looked like a lost budgie in a cattery.

That “token” female has more challenge cup winners meals than your good self I imagine 😜

41 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t rate Newsum at all but Danika Priim can certainly talk eloquently.

Yes, she seemed pretty decent - though, from her remarks, you could tell she's a prop.

How many times did she refer to 'putting bodies on the line'?!

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That “token” female has more challenge cup winners meals than your good self I imagine 😜

never had a meal at a cc match- but if you say so

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Widnes professional and got the job done without ever really having to get out of first gear. West Wales were okay. Defensively horrible in terms of structure and shape but some of that will be done to fatigue from defending so much but they were alright on the ball with Chase leading them around. I think he’ll be key for them. If he leaves, they’ll be well off the levels they need to be but with him, they’ll be alright. I think they’ll get 2-3 wins this year. 

I think you are probably doing them a disservice with 2-3 wins. They played with 12 men for an hour against one of the better championship teams and they did ok. I see them as a mid table league 1 side, which would be massive progress from where they were a couple of seasons ago.

Just now, MZH said:

I think you are probably doing them a disservice with 2-3 wins. They played with 12 men for an hour against one of the better championship teams and they did ok. I see them as a mid table league 1 side, which would be massive progress from where they were a couple of seasons ago.

They’re only playing eighteen league games this year and League One has some good teams in Barrow, Workington, Rochdale, Hunslet and Doncaster. Winning three games would be a huge improvement for West Wales. 

20 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They’re only playing eighteen league games this year and League One has some good teams in Barrow, Workington, Rochdale, Hunslet and Doncaster. Winning three games would be a huge improvement for West Wales. 

It is indeed a tricky looking league, but I just suspect they might be a little bit better than that. I'd say 5 or 6 rather than 2 or 3. As long as they are making progress that's the important thing.

7 minutes ago, MZH said:

It is indeed a tricky looking league, but I just suspect they might be a little bit better than that. I'd say 5 or 6 rather than 2 or 3. As long as they are making progress that's the important thing.

Who are the teams you think they’ll beat to get 5-6 wins?

2 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

You'd think they'll be looking to beat Coventry, London Skolars and North Wales at Stebonheath. After that, well...

Yeah, that’s sort of who I had in mind, more so Coventry and London. Possibly London away too, they can be a horror sometimes, I feel as though Coventry are quite strong at home, so that would be tough. I can’t see them worrying a heartlands side home or away. 

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I can’t see them worrying a heartlands side home or away. 

Must be approaching a 6 hour drive from West Cumbria, plus stops. Home advantage counts a bit more in L1 than in SL, I think.

Archived