EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think some of us have always commented on it and that is not a new thing in football culture.  Maybe it is to those who latch on to football when England are at a major tournament.

I’m sorry you think it’s just pantomime and fail to grasp how it can be a precursor for worse behaviour.

As for what’s happening in London and elsewhere that just seems like whataboutery to me mate.

If I could make England fans stop doing it now, I would absolutely. Regardless of the past, it has become a problem. 

I'm just trying to understand the disconnect. People are more than happy to believe it's all just hooliganism when I think for most doing it it wasn't. As I said earlier, if someone had asked me randomly a month ago did I think it was a problem, I'd have probably said no and I'm a soft primary school teacher!

Of course every hooligan does it too, but I don't think most doing it are hooligans. I think that line will certainly become more pronounced, as the reasonable fan stops doing it in response to Southgate etc and the idiotic aspect will do it to make a point.

I wasn't trying to engage in whataboutery, I was just making the point that I hope the only thing we're ashamed of tonight is booing the anthem. 

17 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I was just making the point that I hope the only thing we're ashamed of tonight is booing the anthem. 

Might be late already for that....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

29 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

If I could make England fans stop doing it now, I would absolutely. Regardless of the past, it has become a problem. 

I'm just trying to understand the disconnect. People are more than happy to believe it's all just hooliganism when I think for most doing it it wasn't. As I said earlier, if someone had asked me randomly a month ago did I think it was a problem, I'd have probably said no and I'm a soft primary school teacher!

Of course every hooligan does it too, but I don't think most doing it are hooligans. I think that line will certainly become more pronounced, as the reasonable fan stops doing it in response to Southgate etc and the idiotic aspect will do it to make a point.

I wasn't trying to engage in whataboutery, I was just making the point that I hope the only thing we're ashamed of tonight is booing the anthem. 

Fair enough, I agree that worse is yet to come.

In the Venn diagram of "Bottle throwers", "Xenophobic chanters" and "Kneeling booers" I suspect a heavy overlap.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

6 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

But anyway, a few knobheads out of millions enjoying it will not overshadow things. 

Good luck with that. The media loves the smell of overnight riot in the morning. Especially if England lose.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

How much was a ticket for tonight? 

Free for some it seems 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, tim2 said:

Good luck with that. The media loves the smell of overnight riot in the morning. Especially if England lose.

A small percentage of several million is still thousands. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A small percentage of several million is still thousands. 

This is why we can't have nice things. And why certain football matches kick off at 12.30. 

Just now, Johnoco said:

That's inevitable, the only alternative is not to have these events. 

We're not due one for a while. It's not likely to happen at RLWC 21

Not a bad moment to score a first goal for England. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Uneventful so far. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Whisper it very quietly, but England are rather good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The referee letting the game flow is really hurting the Italians.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 all, and Italy have been applying the pressure for a while now.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived