Inglis released with immediate effect

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damien said:

Well no one could have predicted that this wouldn't work out.

Well old Maany said he’d light up Superleague & lead Wire to a Grand Final triumph

Sad end to a great career.

Shame it hasn't worked out (for Wire and SL), but that's sport. I won't criticise the club in making signings like this, nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Already seeing plenty of stick for Wire with fans saying they should be spending the money on youth, which is an odd criticism when you look at the numbers of club-developed players out there at the moment. 

Best wishes to Inglis, he seems like he wanted to give it a go, it just didn't work. 

Just now, Barry Badrinath said:

Indeed we should have signed young talent like bevan French or jai field

Don't get touchy. Those players are hardly comparable to signing a 34 year old who had retired from the game due to injury and hadn't played for well over a year. I'm sure you know that though.

Worth a try for the marketing I suppose. Didn’t cost much on the cap but had potential for selling GI branded merchandise. Seeing him play, the rugby brain was still there but he was quite far away from match fitness, and the injury pretty much guaranteed he wouldn’t be able to regain any before the season end. 

I don’t think we’ll see this sort of signing again from Warrington, I think the mindset at the top has changed a little after Covid, and we have a very good core that just needs the right coach to take it to the next level.

The emergence of some excellent academy products who will be working with Powell gives me great hope for the future.

Thanks for the two tries Greg and good luck for the future.

48 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Making room for Williams ?

Don’t think so. You can’t release a player who is injured to make space on the cap once they’ve taken part in the season. Well, that was the rule anyway. Maybe it’s changed.

I also think it’s a bit unfair to not mention that GI could just ###### off and spend the rest of the year in a holiday location with his missus until Aus relax the quarantine rules. Instead, he’s saying to mentor the academy players which is fantastic. Imagine working with one of the GOATs as a young centre or fullback. Any coincidence that Thewlis and Wrench were two of the best players on the field at Wigan this week? 

34 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Please British clubs don't sign any more has been's or never was players from the NRL. Invest in young British talent.

The signing of Inglis was either moronic or delusional. 

SL clubs should be spending more on developing youth and coaches.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Sure

I think Inglis was worth the risk when you consider the cost of the deal.

I guess Dallas Mead is referring to signings like Tyrone Roberts, and maybe to a certain extent Austin who hasn’t fulfilled the early promise for whatever reason (on a sizeable salary). But then there weren’t/aren’t many good British half-backs available so the club has to take a chance on second-choice NRL players sometimes.

With Powell coming though, the NRL path is probably one we won’t have to worry about.

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I guess Dallas Mead is referring to signings like Tyrone Roberts, and maybe to a certain extent Austin who hasn’t fulfilled the early promise for whatever reason (on a sizeable salary).

With Powell coming though, the NRL path is probably one we won’t have to worry about.

His first signing for warrington was an ex nrl player

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I guess Dallas Mead is referring to signings like Tyrone Roberts, and maybe to a certain extent Austin who hasn’t fulfilled the early promise for whatever reason (on a sizeable salary).

Also that's Tyrone Roberts that took us to a gf and challenge cup final in his one year 

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Tyrone Roberts being rather rubbish doesn't then equate to a poor signing being typical Wire. 

Like all clubs, we have made signibgs across the scale ranging from rubbish, to world class. 

Just now, Barry Badrinath said:

Also that's Tyrone Roberts that took us to a gf and challenge cup final in his one year 

He certainly played his part in that team. He didn’t play to the level we saw from the NRL, but maybe that was down to Price.

On the flip side, those two finals and the 2019 cup win wouldn’t have been possible without the defensive resilience that Price instilled in the team. If only he could get us playing clinical in attack and consistently well against ‘lower’ teams.

Archived