Jump to content

League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts


20 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

They don't need the money, so I'm not surprised. However what they do need (as an outsider) is to look at why their best players leave and don't come back.

I don't agree with the club taking these players back but that said your comment just doesn't hold true, the vast majority have come back - most I wish hadn't, the only one who hasn't who the club wanted is Williams. Sam Tomkins, Joel Tomkins, Tommy Leululai, Joe Burgess, Lee Mossop, Dan Sarginson and John Bateman all came back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super League and RFL set up Joint Working Groups to plan a way forward

Strategic interest from several credible parties must be PE.

Chimes with what Adam Pearson said the other month in his BBC interview. 

 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Super League and RFL set up Joint Working Groups to plan a way forward

Strategic interest from several credible parties must be PE.

Chimes with what Adam Pearson said the other month in his BBC interview. 

 

The Peter principle in action. 

Which one of those on the working committee have proved competent at this level before?

Effin pointless

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

The Peter principle in action. 

Which one of those on the working committee have proved competent at this level before?

Effin pointless

They all have decent CV's don't they? I don't know much about Paul Lakin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They all have decent CV's don't they? I don't know much about Paul Lakin. 

I just hope they don't employ another Robert Elstone type person, but good to see Gary Heatherington involved. From Robins fans the majority of opinion is that Paul Lakin is doing a good job there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/09/2021 at 11:50, Ackroman said:

I was just wondering how far I could go without going off topic. Is there anything in particular?

 

I liked the post and was interested (when you said you could go on) to hear what else you had to say? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/09/2021 at 15:12, fighting irish said:

I liked the post and was interested (when you said you could go on) to hear what else you had to say? 

Well the natural conclusion from these studies of American sports and University investment is that there is a role for someone to look at how this works in RL. A whole game view on the sport.

So for example maybe half a dozen clubs in the UK have the resources to attract naturally gifted individuals who have grown up in the right environment for RL. The right number of schools, community clubs and fan base. Pouring more money into those environments is potentially a waste because the socio-economic conditions for RL are already fulfilled. This extra money therefore gets "invested" in talent but often that talent is no better than what you can produce yourself because the environment is as good as it gets. The Leeds team that won everything was based on their own academy players, so why move away from that model? 

The Canadian RL ladies 9's model is based on this principle. Whereby fans are members of the League (not the club) and the League chooses where to put teams. So they select the type of stadium they want, the location for a fan base and potential participation. They re investing holistically in creating rivalry and competition.

RL in this country has actually followed that principle where investment in SL by Sky has actually been in the League. However the clubs involved have chosen to invest in themselves. Probably one reason why Sky are miffed at the state of the comp now in relation to 15 or so years ago.

So if I was influencing the clubs I would insist on a budget for the clubs for players, a budget for academies that are owned and run by the RFL, not the clubs - with a draft system. A budget for the league to invest in infrastructure - so for example you promote Bradford to SL as they have the pedigree in all areas but are weak on infrastructure - so that's where the League invest. Centralised ticketing & marketing so fans can buy tickets to league matches at any stadium as a set of packages. Targets for penetration into schools and community clubs by the RFL - not the clubs. I think there is a growing realisation that the modern youth follows individuals and not team so we have to look at developing stars of the game - not star clubs at the detriment of others. This should actually save money!

The above top league works on a franchise basis but is inclusive, so you may start with 10 teams but plan to have 20 in 10 years time. 

Also I think the mistakes the game has made are now obvious when we look at how people consume entertainment. Owners of clubs have personalised their clubs when actually they are brands as far as young consumers are concerned. The fact Sky has asked for a re-brand has shown how poorly thought out this has been because all the owners have done is redrawn a badge! A proper re-brand invests and focusses on weaknesses and opportunities not in enhancing strengths which can become overcooked. RU has made this mistake by investing it's money in players so squads are now massive, allowing some of them to become impact players - looks good on TV but has created significant welfare problems with high impact injuries increasing.  In RL it's to create a number of fixtures that put player welfare at risk and offers consumers the same 2 teams, too often weakening the ability to sell exclusivity. One podcast I listened to made a very good point that it doesn't matter how many teams are in the league, it's who they play and how often they play, as the play-offs smooth out discrepancies.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Kurt Haggerty has his say, although most people would say “yeah but he would say that wouldn’t he.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/leigh-coach-feels-rugby-league-would-benefit-from-return-of-licensing/

An opinion he is entitled to 

One I disagree with , which am also entitled to 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Kurt Haggerty has his say, although most people would say “yeah but he would say that wouldn’t he.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/leigh-coach-feels-rugby-league-would-benefit-from-return-of-licensing/

A 14 team super league would be great with no loop fixtures, but and it's a big but as there would have to be a criteria for it and that's where certain super league clubs would fail to meet the criteria.

Edited by The Future is League
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

A 14 team super league would be great with no loop fixtures, but and it's a big but as there would have to be a criteria for it and there where certain super league clubs would fail to meet the criteria.

Not very often you're right , but this time 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Thought Wigan were £6m in debt and losing £1m pa??

Linky DInky?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Not quite as you state.

"we’ve actually made a loss in the last two years of 2 million quid – that’s what goes out in the accounts, which is such a pity, because we were actually bringing our losses down. We lost I think it was one quarter million in 2019. And we’ve got it down to 200,000 in 2020 till Covid hit but that’s like so many families isn’t it? "

A lot of other clubs are in the same situation as they also have similar debts to sport England/Government to survive the pandemic.

Nice try but no cigar.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Padge said:

Not quite as you state.

"we’ve actually made a loss in the last two years of 2 million quid – that’s what goes out in the accounts, which is such a pity, because we were actually bringing our losses down. We lost I think it was one quarter million in 2019. And we’ve got it down to 200,000 in 2020 till Covid hit but that’s like so many families isn’t it? "

A lot of other clubs are in the same situation as they also have similar debts to sport England/Government to survive the pandemic.

Nice try but no cigar.

Finishing the salary, the financial stuff; debt. We owed just under 6 million. That’s what’s called a soft debt, because that debt is to the Lenegan family in this particular case. So, it’s not going to get called in like a bank might call it in, we have no bank debt in that respect. That’s the only debt. That will go up to just over eight and a half million in the next period, including the debt that we’re paying off to Sport England that we’ve had to guarantee. So that’s the reality of it. That’s not a threat to Wigan, provided we get back to decent attendances, we’ve got to get back to decent attendances.

 

All you had to do was go down a bit further, when can I collect my cigar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Finishing the salary, the financial stuff; debt. We owed just under 6 million. That’s what’s called a soft debt, because that debt is to the Lenegan family in this particular case. So, it’s not going to get called in like a bank might call it in, we have no bank debt in that respect. That’s the only debt. That will go up to just over eight and a half million in the next period, including the debt that we’re paying off to Sport England that we’ve had to guarantee. So that’s the reality of it. That’s not a threat to Wigan, provided we get back to decent attendances, we’ve got to get back to decent attendances.

 

All you had to do was go down a bit further, when can I collect my cigar

I was commenting on the £1m/year loss, the other debt is irrelevant as all businesses run on debt, that's how business work, being able to service the debt is what is an issue. Since Ian Lenegan owes Ian Lenegan the money it isn't unserviceable as it is a money go round. The debt is also mostly investment debt as opposed to operating debt, again the debt has value in where it is invested.

I presume you have never had a mortgage since you don't seem to understand these things. 

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Padge said:

I was commenting on the £1m/year loss, the other debt is irrelevant as all businesses run on debt, that's how business work, being able to service the debt is what is an issue. Since Ian Lenegan owes Ian Lenegan the money it isn't unserviceable as it is a money go round. The debt is also mostly investment debt as opposed to operating debt, again the debt has value in where it is invested.

I presume you have never had a mortgage since you don't seem to understand these things. 

What are these 9m of assets then, and who values them? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...