Sat 14-Sun 15 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newcastle Thunder 12:36 Bradford Bulls at FT. Thank you, OurLeague!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Haven need to win tomorrow or we can stick a pin in playoff race and teams can look to next year.  Thought we'd have more of a tussle for top 6 but York and Widnes not been at the races. 

I reckon the top six will be as it currently is with a bit of jostling for the final positions. Fax or Batley might cause a surprise but in reality only the top two have any real quality.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah. Sadly no jeopardy but sooner we can know the deal for next year  (hopefully still with p and r to SL) then clubs can prepare.  

Think a fully fit Bulls or Fax will think they could cause a shock at Fev but yep, looks for all the world like Tou Fev final. Crowd at Fev anyone know.  Hope for 2k ish. 

What about a fully fit Fev ? 

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thunder run out of steam.  Hope we still have p and r next season so Thunder can give it a stronger go next year. 

They could make it 5 up and Thunder still aint going up next season to be fair. They need I would say about 5 or 6 good quality players to give them a shot of the playoffs and pretty much a full team to have a chance of promotion. Its more likely to be a 4 or 5 year project I would say to get them anywhere near and thats meaning no disrespect to Newcastle, that's just how far I reckon they are off.

30 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

They are probably the one club who can make offers to players now regardless of central funding and the lower central fund the stronger they become relative to the competition. Think now they are established in champ they will be top five contenders next year.  

The problem will be finding the quality they need for next season. Most teams have already done a lot of business for next year. I don't see them been anywhere near next year with Leigh, Fev/Toulouse, Fax, Bulls, Batley and then Widnes, York and London somewhere near. Its going to take an awesome effort for another random team to break in to that although I would say if Haven can build on what they have done this year then they are probably the most likely outside of the those to be in the playoff mix.

16 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

The problem will be finding the quality they need for next season. Most teams have already done a lot of business for next year. I don't see them been anywhere near next year with Leigh, Fev/Toulouse, Fax, Bulls, Batley and then Widnes, York and London somewhere near. Its going to take an awesome effort for another random team to break in to that although I would say if Haven can build on what they have done this year then they are probably the most likely outside of the those to be in the playoff mix.

It's not just finding available quality to make an offer to, it's also persuading them to trail up and down the A1 several times a week for training (see Keal Carlile).  

10 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It's not just finding available quality to make an offer to, it's also persuading them to trail up and down the A1 several times a week for training (see Keal Carlile).  

Yeah its going to make them have to spend extra to try and convince players its a good move. Its not really somewhere people are going to relocate in the same way that London could attract young single lads.

24 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah its going to make them have to spend extra to try and convince players its a good move. Its not really somewhere people are going to relocate in the same way that London could attract young single lads.

Going FT may help with that, subject to wages offered, obviously. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Dont know Newcastle student city so good place to live.  And it will be the only place outside SL thats full time so if players want to stay or move into full time game to reach SL that's going to be the only option. 

Newcastle is a great city,depending on the contracts on offer,they should have no problem attracting talent.

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Its why I think York can improve next year because they are right on the doorstep of three SL teams in the new stadium, so should be easier to grab loans or young players who want to make it bk to SL next season.

They've lived off loans all this year, how's that working out for them? 

They have had very bad luck with injuries this year, but so have plenty of other clubs, and going into the year with only two recognised half backs ( and I think only 2 hookers) was a big gamble, acknowledging paying three halves means less money for elsewhere. 

If Newcastle are full time what type of player are they going to sign? The scraps left over from SL that are nowhere near as good as the best part time players? Or maybe convince the best part time players that they should go full time? For the latter they would have to find a lot of extra cash in wages because there is already a reason why the best part time players are part time and its nothing to do with not been good enough for SL just take a look at Brandon Moore.

Boom and bust will be the ruin of Newcastle, they really should go for the steady building route that may take a few more years but ultimatley will put them in with a better chance of longevity. 

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Plus metro so cheap houses on the outskirts.  London is another  (and a terrible) country. 

Its why I think York can improve next year because they are right on the doorstep of three SL teams in the new stadium, so should be easier to grab loans or young players who want to make it bk to SL next season.

Get your money on York for the 2023 $uperleague title.😂

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

They'd have to be pretty high to attract the better PT players - see Sheffield 2016.

That's what I was hinting at. 😉

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

42 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I use to work in a bookies, you should never bet unless the odds are good.  Unless someone offers me a bet on if it's Warrington's year... Always get carried away by that one.  

Anyway, where would you have York next year?

So what odds would you say on Newcastle making the playoffs next year is the neutral point between offering a punter value and a bet offering the bookies value?

56 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I use to work in a bookies, you should never bet unless the odds are good.  Unless someone offers me a bet on if it's Warrington's year... Always get carried away by that one.  

Anyway, where would you have York next year?

Definitely outside the top 4.Probably 5 to 8.Alot could depend on the funding allocated.

Archived