Jump to content

Penalty try


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The question is would he have scored if Makinson wasn't there? Makinson was there and committed a foul with a head shot. I think you would struggle to break a tackle into 2 parts tbh. Seems to have divided opinion for sure.

Yeah I can’t understand this argument about breaking the tackle into separate parts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, DEANO said:

What the rules about playing the ball?

None, we have Laws not rules.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

There was a penalty earlier in the game when Roby was tackled by ?? (I forget) which started as a tackle round his chest and it ended up round his head. The penalty was given. It wasn’t ignored and an explanation of ‘he didn’t mean it and started off ok’ used. Makinson doesn’t foul Yaha, he definitely scores, it’s literally that simple.

If it was that simple we would see penalty tries given far more frequently but they aren't. Can you answer why Garcia (direct Head contact on Lomax) wasn't a yellow card or an 8 point try and a yellow for Yaha weren't given. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hullste said:

If it was that simple we would see penalty tries given far more frequently but they aren't. Can you answer why Garcia (direct Head contact on Lomax) wasn't a yellow card or an 8 point try and a yellow for Yaha weren't given. 

No because I wasn’t the ref and it was a separate incident.

But I don’t need to be a qualified ref to know that if a player has an open run to the line, is fouled, and as a result doesn’t score when he definitely would have done, then it’s a penalty try.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

No because I wasn’t the ref and it was a separate incident.

But I don’t need to be a qualified ref to know that if a player has an open run to the line, is fouled, and as a result doesn’t score when he definitely would have done, then it’s a penalty try.

Define ' definitely would have done', as I see it , it is your opinion that he would have, other opinions are available.

Not saying you are right or wrong  in your assessment just pointing out your's is one of many possible views. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TM's covering tackle stops YF from scoring.The tackle stops the try so no penalty try. The tackle ends up with head contact and any headshot ends in a sin binning. The officials were spot on IMO.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

I said it on here during the game, and having just watched the BBC highlights, I haven’t changed my mind. Definitely a penalty try.

Can you guarantee that the tackle would have had enough momentum to take the winger over the sideline.If the ball is static over the line and the attacking player is taken out who can say that he would touch it down without a fumble its all guesswork.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Padge said:

Define ' definitely would have done', as I see it , it is your opinion that he would have, other opinions are available.

Not saying you are right or wrong  in your assessment just pointing out your's is one of many possible views. 

In the circumstances of a player having an open run to the line, we have to assume they will score. Otherwise we remove the whole idea of a penalty try.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Can you guarantee that the tackle would have had enough momentum to take the winger over the sideline.If the ball is static over the line and the attacking player is taken out who can say that he would touch it down without a fumble its all guesswork.

Then no penalty try should ever be given, ever. As we don’t know for certain that any player could fumble it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RayCee said:

TM's covering tackle stops YF from scoring.The tackle stops the try so no penalty try. The tackle ends up with head contact and any headshot ends in a sin binning. The officials were spot on IMO.

Most high shots today don’t start up round the head but end up there, they’re still fouls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RayCee said:

TM's covering tackle stops YF from scoring.The tackle stops the try so no penalty try. The tackle ends up with head contact and any headshot ends in a sin binning. The officials were spot on IMO.

But the tackle that you are stating stopped the try was the foul?  He didn't tackle him and then commit a foul, the tackle was the foul.

  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not even a penalty. This was a grand final FFS. 

So we play by one set of laws all season, then change them in the final? Why?

Does concerns for player safety just disappear as its a final?   Maybe Ben Flower should have stayed on the other year

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So we play by one set of laws all season, then change them in the final? Why?

Does concerns for player safety just disappear as its a final?   Maybe Ben Flower should have stayed on the other year

My instant judgement was it was a fair tackle and Yaha milked it. Haven’t, and won’t, change my view on it since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

My instant judgement was it was a fair tackle and Yaha milked it. Haven’t, and won’t, change my view on it since.

If it was a fair tackle, how come he ended up in the bin? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So we play by one set of laws all season, then change them in the final? Why?

Does concerns for player safety just disappear as its a final?   Maybe Ben Flower should have stayed on the other year

Yep, as if you can ignore certain things as 'its the final'. Ridiculous

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

My instant judgement was it was a fair tackle and Yaha milked it. Haven’t, and won’t, change my view on it since.

I see you've dodged all my questions......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

If it was a fair tackle, how come he ended up in the bin? 

The initial contact was a fair one and had enough impact not to assume a try would have been scored. It then moved up to the heard and became a foul. That's how he ended up in the bin. I'm a great believer in penalty tries on blatent professional fouls. This was a fair tackle with no hint of professional foul about it. There was also no reasonable assumption a try would have been scored. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Penalty try the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts irrespective of where the offence occurred.

So basically the ref has to decide if he was close enough to the try line to touch down didn't see the game so you tell me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...