Rule changes for 2022 (Merged threads)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the GF and it was my first live game for a few years - and first without scrums. It did not speed the game up, it looked awkward and there seemed to be a lot of time wasted pontificating about where the restart would be. Also, on a few occasions it was used as a natural stoppage in play so water carriers could run on.

The NRL has scrums and is keeping them, The World Cup will have scrums. Super League will be creating a serious disadvantage for the national team if they persist in 2022. Habits get broken and scrum plays and defending scrums is still a fundamental part of the game.

Get them back asap.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I was at the GF and it was my first live game for a few years - and first without scrums. It did not speed the game up, it looked awkward and there seemed to be a lot of time wasted pontificating about where the restart would be. Also, on a few occasions it was used as a natural stoppage in play so water carriers could run on.

The NRL has scrums and is keeping them, The World Cup will have scrums. Super League will be creating a serious disadvantage for the national team if they persist in 2022. Habits get broken and scrum plays and defending scrums is still a fundamental part of the game.

Get them back asap.

I wholly agree, Scubby.  They offer an opportunity for a bit of variety and would offer even more if premature breaking away from them was adequately policed.

You could have added that French RL has also retained them.

The medical reasoning for scrapping them always struck me as odd.  A poster on this forum at the time said that we should not question medical experts unless qualified to do so.  That was true of their medical expertise, but I would have questioned their knowledge of rugby league scrums.  I suspect they equated them to those in the dark code, where they can last for minutes at a time, which is nonsense. 

31 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I wholly agree, Scubby.  They offer an opportunity for a bit of variety and would offer even more if premature breaking away from them was adequately policed.

You could have added that French RL has also retained them.

The medical reasoning for scrapping them always struck me as odd.  A poster on this forum at the time said that we should not question medical experts unless qualified to do so.  That was true of their medical expertise, but I would have questioned their knowledge of rugby league scrums.  I suspect they equated them to those in the dark code, where they can last for minutes at a time, which is nonsense. 

Scrums are back now in the dark code at all levels. 

39 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Get them back asap.

Okay you’ve convinced me.

43 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Get them back asap.

Took me a moment to realise you meant grand final. For a second I thought you were at your girl friend's. 😆

Surely they have to come back.  There is no real legitimate reason to not have them and if we start next year without scrums we are essentially playing a different sport to the Southern Hemisphere... complicated by the fact we all come together for a World Cup at the end of the season.

I know I am one of a small minority when I say this but I am of the opinion we should play Rugby League as laid down in the laws of the game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Surely they have to come back.  There is no real legitimate reason to not have them and if we start next year without scrums we are essentially playing a different sport to the Southern Hemisphere... complicated by the fact we all come together for a World Cup at the end of the season.

I know I am one of a small minority when I say this but I am of the opinion we should play Rugby League as laid down in the laws of the game.

I don’t think you are in the small minority. Quite the opposite.  

The RFL should have some more gumption about them, bring the scrums back and fix the PTB.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I don’t think you are in the small minority. Quite the opposite.  

The RFL should have some more gumption about them, bring the scrums back and fix the PTB.

I agree, Lowdesert.  I suspect that Dunbar is probably in a sizable majority.

When I go to, for example, an ice hockey match, if a defending player ices the puck (ie shoots it the length of the ice without anybody else having a chance to touch it), the officials call it as 'icing'; they don't invite the offending player to have another go at passing out to a team mate.  

So why cannot a player moving off the mark, for instance, simply be penalised?  They would soon stop doing it!

Refereeing at our world cup next year could be, well, interesting, with refs from the southern hemisphere and France (I think Remi Casty's brother was on the list)

The IRL have agreed to temporarily suspend scrums for the France England international.

(on my Facebook feed so can't link). 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Personally, as it is an international (and to be consistent with the rest of the world) I would have thought it would be a perfect opportunity to bring scrums back to the Northern Hemisphere top level of the sport.

Just now, Scubby said:

WTF? Why?

It says "the request was made and supported on player welfare grounds and consistent with arrangements in Super League, Rugby League Championship & League 1".

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Interesting that it says the request was from the French federation as well as the RFL, especially as French domestic RL are playing with scrums and (I think) have done throughout covid restrictions.

59 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It says "the request was made and supported on player welfare grounds and consistent with arrangements in Super League, Rugby League Championship & League 1".

I think we can confidently expect the PTB to also be "consistent with arrangements in Super League, Rugby League Championship and League 1".

Presumably the French ref has received a "request made and supported on player welfare grounds" not to apply the rules as he would in Elite 1.

Thanks to @UTKfor posting on the scrums thread but I thought a thread for all the changes would be useful.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36143/rfl-board-approves-laws-changes-for-2022

1.  Scrums to return in the pro and community game

2. Ball steal to be reverted back to one on one but for initial contact and not when players drop off

3. Changes to treating injured players on the pitch will "adopt the NRL policy relating to injury stoppages"

Anyone know what the NRL policy is and how it differs to Super League as I have seen injury stoppages take an age in the NRL this year.

13 minutes ago, UTK said:

Yes, might be worth changing the thread title to 'rule changes for 2022' if the moderators ( @John Drake ) get a minute.

A good set of changes. Shame they aren't doing anything with six again.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

21 hours ago, johnh1 said:

They must come back next season. They add variety and as someone has already said, we surely can’t expect the players to suddenly start to play with scrums in the World Cup.

Okay. Can the refs ensure they are bound correctly and the players stay there until the ball is out, not the mess we often see especially up here in the NH. At least the NRL refs are more fussy about the way the scrum looks on TV more often than refs up here; some will say it's pedantic but it's what I want from the refs. 

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

I thought the NRL reference seemed a bit scrambled, like even the person writing the press release hadn't bothered to look up what it meant in practice. I agree with the intent though - it needs sorting out.

Scrums and the ball stealing rule are the right fixes though - reversing a tinkering that weren't really needed.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• John Drake changed the title to Rule changes for 2022

Archived