Character's that made you laugh

With the recent sad news about Bobby Goulding my thoughts brought to mind an incident with regards to him.

In 2014 Bobby was player Coach  at Barrow Raiders. 

He only made 3 appearances and I think it must have been in his last game when the Referee penalised him. Bobby did no more but he summoned the Ref to attend him and the Referee duly obliged by walking over to Bobby where one of them was duly castigated... I'm not sure who got the talking too🤣.

Alex Murphy famously had some escapades. Anyone share them or other antics by " Characters"

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

When I first started watching Swinton in the late 70's and early 80's we had Danny Wilson and Green Vigo, you could probably write a book about them two 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Huddersfield team c. 2003-4.

Jim Gannon, Paul Reilly, Stanley Gene, Paul March, Jamie Bloem. Even as an opposition fan you were in with a chance of getting lamped.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 27/10/2021 at 13:22, Bearman said:

With the recent sad news about Bobby Goulding my thoughts brought to mind an incident with regards to him.

In 2014 Bobby was player Coach  at Barrow Raiders. 

He only made 3 appearances and I think it must have been in his last game when the Referee penalised him. Bobby did no more but he summoned the Ref to attend him and the Referee duly obliged by walking over to Bobby where one of them was duly castigated... I'm not sure who got the talking too🤣.

Alex Murphy famously had some escapades. Anyone share them or other antics by " Characters"

I recall a massive crowd at Central Park for a Wigan -v- Saints cup tie.  One of the Wigan forwards - possibly Brian McTigue - hit Murphy with a tackle of considerable ferocity and questionable legality.  Murphy rolled around on the ground, seemingly at death's door, and the ref pulled over the Wigan forward.  At that point a large man in front of me shouted out, "If it's that bad, Murphy, bu***r off, and if it isn't, gerron wi' bl***y game!"

Murphy smiled and winked at him, prompting us all on the crowd to give out a collective, "Ooh!"  This in turn made the ref turn round, but, needless to say, Murphy was, by then, once more writhing in agony!

Wigan had the last laugh.  They won 7 - 2.

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Only one name Roy Haggerty absolute legend. 

I've got a Roy Haggerty story. (Can't say for certain it's true).

Frustrated that the club seemed to be ignoring a recurring knee injury he burst into the board room insisting that if he didn't get a cortisone injection, he'd be asking for a transfer!

They asked that he leave the room and give them a bit of time to consider the proposal.

After 10 minutes, they brought him back in to tell him, they couldn't afford a cortisone injection so he'd have to settle for a Ford Cortina, like everybody else. 

Archived