The Cornwall RLFC Thread

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

And a club like Rochdale's wage bill at that time was over £3 million. Yes Football has greater income but outgoing are far, far more. As you said misdirection.

I played in amateur national competitions. At University I travelled to Durham, Newcastle, London, Cardiff amongst other places all in the same season. Indeed I don't think that any journey was less than 2hrs. Journeys to London and Cardiff were easy more than 5 hours with a short stop. If poor students can organise, fund and pay for that it really shouldn't be beyond the wit of a semi professional RL team to do it once a season.

At schoolboy level for our national cups it was regional until the Quarter finals, because if you wanted to play for the serious titles, you had to play across the country. In Wakefield we drew two away games against a London school and, perhaps quite aptly for this thread, Truro, in our appearances (winning both might I add). That is on top of annual "regular season" games against Bristol and High Wycombe from year 7 to 13.

Like you say at University its pretty par for the course too.

This is perhaps an inevitable point though if the game is to grow, ultimately it will mean clubs who have historically won championships and cups playing in the 4th, 5th divisions.

• Like 2

Just now, gingerjon said:

Genuine Q about this as I can't find an immediate answer.

Do the RFL give a grant to BUCS for 'running' university rugby league? I can see that other NGBs do but not one from the RFL.

I have absolutely no idea. I know during my time in Student Rugby League it didn't even officially fall under BUCS (From memory there was still a fair bit of looking down when it came to RL). Neil Wood was the director of Student Rugby League and was employed by the RFL. In real terms aside from the organising of fixtures teams got no help or assistance from the SRL. I doubt little has changed there but as you say maybe the RFL just pay BUCS to do what was done by them previously. I cant see it being much though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Those distances are not comparable in the slightest. 

Keighley seems to be the marker people are using, its 2.5hrs to the furthest Cumbrian team versus 7hrs for Penryn. 

And again, the clubs have shown they will travel to play, having done it to Canada - where the RFL sorted travel funding. 

Id love to see you do Workington to Keighley in 2.5 hours, you in a Delorean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dave T said:

It's not a journey I've ever done, but I find Google maps reliable (certainly compared to my satnav!!!) 

Its a journey I've done several times, 3.5 hours each time pretty much.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, newbe said:

What's the betting there will be big protest from other clubs, and the relocate up North.

Oh god.

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If it's not a new club, could you point me in the direction of Cornwall RLFC's results?

It is a relocation. 

I doubt the RFL could have stopped it if they had wanted to ( and I am certainly not saying they would have ).

Ottowa took Hemels franchise with a blessing. If you want historical results then look to Hemel's.

The RFL because of the pandemic allowed Ottowa to defer playing until the 2022 season. . A relocation has been allowed  frankly to make more sense of what could otherwise be  a total disaster financially for League 1 clubs having to cover travel costs to Canada etc

Is Cornwall a visionary choice ? It's certainly exciting if nothing else. 

Will it work ? Who knows ( but don't St Helens  have 'connections ' down there ? )

This is Rugby League after all. Often better than a ride on the ' Big One ' at Blackpool Pleasure Beach ...........

• Like 3

Just now, del capo said:

It is a relocation. 

I doubt the RFL could have stopped it if they had wanted to ( and I am certainly not saying they would have ).

Ottowa took Hemels franchise with a blessing. If you want historical results then look to Hemel's.

The RFL because of the pandemic allowed Ottowa to defer playing until the 2022 season. . A relocation has been allowed  frankly to make more sense of what could otherwise be  a total disaster financially for League 1 clubs having to cover travel costs to Canada etc

Will it work ? Who knows ( but don't St Helens  have 'connections ' down there ? )

This is Rugby League after all. Often better than a ride on the ' Big One ' at Blackpool Pleasure Beach ...........

If St Helens do have real connections in Cornwall then you’re the first person to mention them?

What are they? A tie up with the Rebels?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, del capo said:

It is a relocation. 

It isn't a relocation. Its a new club that has a piece of paper that allows them the governance here. 

Just like Ottawa would have been a new club. 

This isn't Hemel. They bought Hemel's place in the pyramid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It isn't a relocation. Its a new club that has a piece of paper that allows them the governance here. 

Just like Ottawa would have been a new club. 

This isn't Hemel. They bought Hemel's place in the pyramid. 

It's an important piece of paper. It grants membership.

Unlike, I believe,Catalan , Toulouse or the now defunct Toronto.............

The distance argument is a joke for something that is supposed to be semi-pro. 

In Turkey new teams on the South Coast will have to travel 12 plus hours to most teams in Istanbul. The closest other team being ourselves at 6 hours. 

If a League One team is not willing to have a big trip once a year then they should drop to regional Amateur leagues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would it be possible to have two equal regional sub conferences in League One (Group A & B) with some cross division games between the two. 

You would play everyone in your region h & a and everyone in the other region just once.

This would stop the need to have a complete h & a fixture list scenario and save on travel costs (which could be pooled and divided out to the teams who have furthest to travel)?

Follow that up with a play off system that would allow for teams in each conference to meet in the final in case (and in all likelihood) the northern conference is stronger initially.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

9 minutes ago, del capo said:

It's an important piece of paper. It grants membership.

Unlike, I believe,Catalan , Toulouse or the now defunct Toronto.............

Absolutely. But it doesn't stop them being a new club. They just have the Golden Ticket. Or maybe more of a Brown/Biege Ticket.

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If St Helens do have real connections in Cornwall then you’re the first person to mention them?

One example is https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/06/29/cornish-rebels-field-first-ever-womens-team/

A fledgling amateur ladies team who, incidentally, travelled by coach to play in Bristol and Cardiff a couple of weeks apart. Both there and back in a day.

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They’ve had them for years, del capo certainly isn’t the only person to know about it. 

27 minutes ago, Izmir Zaferi said:

The distance argument is a joke for something that is supposed to be semi-pro. 

In Turkey new teams on the South Coast will have to travel 12 plus hours to most teams in Istanbul. The closest other team being ourselves at 6 hours. 

If a League One team is not willing to have a big trip once a year then they should drop to regional Amateur leagues. 

Great example. In the Ukrainian league teams travel across that vast country too, and I doubt they have as much money as Keighley or Hunslet. Even in Elite 2 last year teams were travelling from the Aude to Lyon, which isn’t dissimilar to West Yorks to Cornwall. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’ve had them for years, del capo certainly isn’t the only person to know about it. 

I meant on this thread - I don’t think it’s been mentioned.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)