Jump to content

The Cornwall RLFC Thread


Recommended Posts


14 hours ago, Griff said:

Thanks for the invitation.

What if I come to a conclusion and the club decides to do something else?

C'est la vie! on your head be it. 

Edited by fighting irish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, newbe said:

Think West Wales could win game or two this season, given they did well last season. 

Screenshot_20211106-115934_Facebook.jpg

If they haven't already got the bulk of a squad signed up, then I wouldn't bet against them not making the start line for the season. This approach is not going to recruit a squad of League 1 standard players only 3 months before they start playing. Surely they must have some players already signed, otherwise the RFL would've been insane to just let them in to the comp for next season.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/11/2021 at 09:28, Eddie said:

Great example. In the Ukrainian league teams travel across that vast country too, and I doubt they have as much money as Keighley or Hunslet. Even in Elite 2 last year teams were travelling from the Aude to Lyon, which isn’t dissimilar to West Yorks to Cornwall. 

You think a country which is all in one time zone is a vast country?  Seriously???

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You think a country which is all in one time zone is a vast country?  Seriously???

The Ukrainian rugby league consisted of two tiers Geographically split. The third tier of Ukrainian football is organised geographically also.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You think a country which is all in one time zone is a vast country?  Seriously???

I couldn’t care less how many time zones they have, but yes I consider Lviv to Donetsk a vast distance in the context of amateur teams there happily playing RL against eachother while teams from Yorkshire are upset at the prospect of one trip to Cornwall. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

If they haven't already got the bulk of a squad signed up, then I wouldn't bet against them not making the start line for the season. This approach is not going to recruit a squad of League 1 standard players only 3 months before they start playing. Surely they must have some players already signed, otherwise the RFL would've been insane to just let them in to the comp for next season.

If they’d have had a squad then I believe the location would have been leaked a long time ago. Therefore I can only surmise that the RFL are insane.

Don’t be surprised if somehow Brian Noble becomes involved as we’ll truly know it’s a circus.

I hope they do make a go of it, really looking forward to a weekend watching Keighley down there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I put a couple of days earlier , it looks like they intend going down the ' conversion ' route for the bulk of their squad , it could be a long hard season 

This post reminded me of meeting Maurice Bamford on a Level 2 Coaching course.

He was a guest speaker/lecturer/coach at the event and asked everyone where they were from.

I said ''from Wales''.

He said ''so you play Rugby Union then?''

I replied that I had done (although not for a season or two).

Then he said ''So you've never met an angry man then?''

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I couldn’t care less how many time zones they have, but yes I consider Lviv to Donetsk a vast distance in the context of amateur teams there happily playing RL against eachother while teams from Yorkshire are upset at the prospect of one trip to Cornwall. 

I'd be very surprised if there are amateur games in Donetsk.

Shaktar Donetsk the champions league football side, havent played there since 2014. They played in Lviv, due to the Russian/Ukrainian war and now play games in Kviv. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Niels said:

I'd be very surprised if there are amateur games in Donetsk.

Shaktar Donetsk the champions league football side, havent played there since 2014. They played in Lviv, due to the Russian/Ukrainian war and now play games in Kviv. 

I doubt the Donetsk RL side could afford to relocate elsewhere tbf. Though it was just an example of a long distance I don’t know if they have a team in the comp. Kharkiv do though, and I’d wager that Kharkiv to Lviv is a bigger ball ache of a journey for an amateur RL side than Keighley to Penzance is. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I doubt the Donetsk RL side could afford to relocate elsewhere tbf. Though it was just an example of a long distance I don’t know if they have a team in the comp. Kharkiv do though, and I’d wager that Kharkiv to Lviv is a bigger ball ache of a journey for an amateur RL side than Keighley to Penzance is. 

Didn't know Donetsk had a RL team do you have a link to any website.

Travelling outside the so called DPR (Another Putin inspired frozen conflict:( to government controlled Ukraine i thought was a no go.

My wife has a friend from Donetsk however they all left for Kiev a few years ago as they could not stand it anymore as the place had become totally controlled by Kremlin backed thugs (And even some of them have been too extreme and occasional get knocked off by the FSB) She is Russian Ukrainian (My wifes friend) but reckons that if there was a free vote 70/80% would prefer to become part of Ukraine again.

On a happier non political note I think that Ukraine Rugby League has a bright future:)

 

Paul

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/11/2021 at 13:37, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

If they haven't already got the bulk of a squad signed up, then I wouldn't bet against them not making the start line for the season. This approach is not going to recruit a squad of League 1 standard players only 3 months before they start playing. Surely they must have some players already signed, otherwise the RFL would've been insane to just let them in to the comp for next season.

Ten years ago this month, North Wales Crusaders were accepted into Championship 1, without any players.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-15898638

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay;  My, oh, my, what a wonderful day,

Plenty of sunshine headin' our way;  At Stadiwm Zip World, Colwyn Bay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Ten years ago this month, North Wales Crusaders were accepted into Championship 1, without any players.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-15898638

Yes but where did most of their players ultimately end up coming from? That same solution probably isn't going to be available to Cornwall.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

If they’d have had a squad then I believe the location would have been leaked a long time ago. Therefore I can only surmise that the RFL are insane.

Don’t be surprised if somehow Brian Noble becomes involved as we’ll truly know it’s a circus.

I hope they do make a go of it, really looking forward to a weekend watching Keighley down there.

Your wish is my command...

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Yes but where did most of their players ultimately end up coming from? That same solution probably isn't going to be available to Cornwall.

Fair enough, I've known several people at work commuting to Wrexham from places like Warrington and Widnes, so it is a different challenge recruiting a squad in Cornwall compared to North Wales.

Best of luck to them, hope they are still around in ten years to look back at their formation, like we can now.

Edited by fearnowt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay;  My, oh, my, what a wonderful day,

Plenty of sunshine headin' our way;  At Stadiwm Zip World, Colwyn Bay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fearnowt said:

Ten years ago this month, North Wales Crusaders were accepted into Championship 1, without any players.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-15898638

In fairness,Crusaders had a massive advantage,with the previous entity as a Super League club,for many seasons.

A hardcore of support was formed.

The same with Sheffield Eagles when they started again;Gateshead/Newcastle Thunder.

Bit different from the bottom up.

Where there's a will there's a way,though. 

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Fair enough, I've known several people at work commuting to Wrexham from places like Warrington and Widnes, so it is a different challenge recruiting a squad in Cornwall compared to North Wales.

This is the problem. NW Crusaders had experienced RL coaches and were able to recruit loads of players from the places you mentioned, and they finished 8th out of 10 that season, with South Wales and Gateshead below them. 

For Cornwall to recruit that same standard of player, it's going to cost them an absolute fortune in order to relocate people to play for them. Maybe they have a benefactor with more money than sense. But if they haven't then they're going to be relying almost exclusively on union converts. And they're still going to have to pay these converts significantly more than they would be able to earn playing union. Unfortunately, what it looks like is that they're going to run some trials and hope some half decent players come out of the woodwork. If this is the case then it's extremely naive and completely disrespectful to the standard of the league, and the RFL are insane for giving the project the green light.

45 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Best of luck to them, hope they are still around in ten years to look back at their formation, like we can now.

I would absolutely love them to be still around in 10 years' time. But I expect they're going to be yet another footnote in the history of RFL's failed expansion attempts, alongside the likes of Kent Invicta, Mansfield Marksman, Hemel Stags, All Golds, Oxford, Toronto, etc etc. My fear is that they will end up like Northampton and not even make the starting line. I genuinely can't see how they're going to based on where they're at currently. Would love to be proved wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Has somebody died and left them a windfall?? It's the only logical explanation as far as I can see!

With the sport contracting,and the lack of central funding,only this sport could encourage a Cornish replacement after the hype surrounding Ottawa.

One sided games don't attract spectators.Upskilling Union players don't work.

The likely end to promotions won't assist,either.

Rejected Academy players won't be rushing to Cornwall any time soon.

I ain't no visionary - and this sport ain't produced one in recent years.

Strategic thinkers wanted.Maybe Exeter University can help.

  • Like 1

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...