Clubs on the up vs clubs on the slippery slope

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Isn’t that the case with Newcastle too? And York, Leigh, and Hull KR, and probably some of the others? That’s professional sport for you. 

Newcastke have a thriving amature game and excelleny pathways plus a full time squad 

York and the most improved club in the british game and have a great new ground

Hull kr have 8000 supporters ans a lot of young players coming thriugh ascwell as tge best CEO in the rugby football league. 

Leigh have tge supeeb leigh soirts village and a very determined id sonewhat annoying owner 

At sheffield mark aston is everything abd that is the difference 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steve wild said:

I’ve not commented on this forum for a good couple of years , but I can’t let a couple of ill informed comments go unchallenged (esp Paul Walker). Don’t underestimate Swinton Lions . Yes relegated on the field this year (injuries the prime reason), but there is immense off field development progress taking please which will underpin the club moving forward  . The Lions have also retained and recruited well for 2022, and in my opinion will be the team to beat in L1 next year. 

It’s not ‘ill informed’ to say that Swinton have a declining and ageing fan base and play miles away from Swinton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Why would you distrust NW? From one step removed, it looks to me like he is putting in the effort with a view to restoring the Bulls. I can’t see any personal upside for him from this... 

I don’t really want to deflect the thread by rehearsing the whole story.

Basically, Nigel Wood was front and centre in the various shenanigans of who owned the club after the various meltdowns we’ve endured, including the conditions laid down and the various penalties imposed. Then lo and behold, he owns the club!

I accept the club is more stable than it’s been for years and (at least so far as we can see) bills are getting paid. But many (most?) Bulls fans feel there’s an agenda at work here that’s yet to be revealed…

30 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Basically, Nigel Wood was front and centre in the various shenanigans of who owned the club after the various meltdowns we’ve endured, including the conditions laid down and the various penalties imposed. Then lo and behold, he owns the club!

I accept the club is more stable than it’s been for years and (at least so far as we can see) bills are getting paid. But many (most?) Bulls fans feel there’s an agenda at work here that’s yet to be revealed…

My view on swinton is positive 

They have 500 loyal and dedicated fans. 

In lewis else they will have a young half who will totally blast that league and liam forsythe will surely score 25 plus 

Coach Coleman is a very interesting choice and i would hope tgey could move in with salford at Moor lane 

9 hours ago, The storm said:

Newcastke have a thriving amature game and excelleny pathways plus a full time squad 

Do you honestly think that isn’t all down to their wealthy benefactor, and that if he pulled out it would all carry on? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

It isn´t 5-10 minutes from the train stations it´s 25. So you are either wrong or a liar. Secondly uber is not a transport link, it´s a private hire company. Transport links are buses trains and trams which the ground is at best 25 mins from. And clearly it is not appropriate infrastructure for Midlands hurricanes team which anyone but a deliberately evasive pedant would know. 

If people can show me a successful club in the UK stuck behind an athletics track I´d love to see it.  

A bus will go approx ten minutes away from the stadium post Commonwealth Games. There’s far worse linked stadiums about - particularly given it’s the A34 out of town. 

14 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Was Moseley ever on the table out of interest? They've got a decent stand there if memory serves.

Good shout. Bit of a pain to reach by car mind 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you honestly think that isn’t all down to their wealthy benefactor, and that if he pulled out it would all carry on? 

Who is their wealrhy benefactor 

The structure at newcastle is firmly in place 

• Haha 1

What that list does highlight to me is that teams outside SL are making more progress than the so called big clubs.

I don’t think it’s any secret teams outside of SL have to work a lot harder to market their teams & increase revenue streams just to open the ground of a weekend.

Have SL clubs gotten lazy??

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, binosh said:

What that list does highlight to me is that teams outside SL are making more progress than the so called big clubs.

I don’t think it’s any secret teams outside of SL have to work a lot harder to market their teams & increase revenue streams just to open the ground of a weekend.

Have SL clubs gotten lazy??

With 1.8 million a year off sky most super league clubs have had most of their salary payments covered. 

They have largely stagnated 

Edited by The storm
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

And Leigh keeps being castigated for having no train station, but there are two 10 mins or less drive away, or one with a main line bus route 100 yards from the station with buses to Leigh every 10 mins.

The whole point of public transport is that you dont need to drive.  A ten minute drive is a long walk and if you have a car you would just use that .

Besides issue with hurricanes is all of it.  Away from train link and in oversized athletics track.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

The whole point of public transport is that you dont need to drive.  A ten minute drive is a long walk and if you have a car you would just use that .

Besides issue with hurricanes is all of it.  Away from train link and in oversized athletics track.  

Have you ever thought of setting your own RL club up, as it’s so easy to do? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Erm, a gentleman called Mick Hogan. 

'Erm', I'm pretty sure that's not even remotely true

The owner of Newcastle Thunder is Semore Kurdi, who is also the majority shareholder of Newcastle Falcons. He's a local property investor and seriously wealthy

Mick Hogan runs the club on a day-to-day basis but I don't think he has any serious financial input

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

......and won't be happy until they are proved right, no matter how long they might have to wait.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

That's true, but then its true for many of the teams in Super League. Or at least they'd have severely cut back and possibly end up down in the Championship.

Do you honestly think that if Ken Davy suddenly decided he was, after all, a fan of Halifax, and he switched all his money to Halifax, that things would just 'carry on'. No, Halifax would almost certainly simply replace Huddersfield in SL. Essentially, there's no difference other than Davy's money.

What the owner of Newcastle has done, to his credit, is NOT simply throw money at the club. The investment so far has been in building foundations, building a pyramid of community clubs, schools work etc. It's only now, several years into the project, that the money has been invested into a FT squad.

I think what Newcastle have done is admirable, and I hope they continue to grow.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

That's true, but then its true for many of the teams in Super League. Or at least they'd have severely cut back and possibly end up down in the Championship.

Do you honestly think that if Ken Davy suddenly decided he was, after all, a fan of Halifax, and he switched all his money to Halifax, that things would just 'carry on'. No, Halifax would almost certainly simply replace Huddersfield in SL. Essentially, there's no difference other than Davy's money.

What the owner of Newcastle has done, to his credit, is NOT simply throw money at the club. The investment so far has been in building foundations, building a pyramid of community clubs, schools work etc. It's only now, several years into the project, that the money has been invested into a FT squad.

I think what Newcastle have done is admirable, and I hope they continue to grow.

Agreed yes it is true of most sports teams, I was just pointing out that Sheffield aren’t unique in that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

I have no doubt that there are costs involved with setting this up, and probably some running costs, but why would those running costs be any different to other areas where there are a network of amateur clubs? And therefore why would it all collapse if the benefactor pulled out? 

Also I thought that Mick Hogan was the energy and drive behind the club as opposed to the money man who was the same man involved with the union club maybe.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

https://www.business-live.co.uk/enterprise/newcastle-rugby-reveals-field-struggles-20974468

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

20 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Especially when Keighley are "on the up" with terrible kits and publicity stunts like the Captain Tom gates.

I think the 2022 kit may be 'up' on the American comic Super Hero kits,which are now,ever so,yesterday.

The Captain Tom Gate was not a publicity stunt.

Keighley Cougars are on the 'up' with the appointment of Andrew Henderson as Head Of Rugby.

Could any further dispute continue with the ever dwindling number of London Broncos followers.Cheers.Like yourself,I don't think they feel very much on the 'up'.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

North Wales Crusaders have made some decent signings and have just announced they've signed a 2-year deal to remain at their new venue at Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay.

Those saying there's no atmosphere where there's a running track around the stadium need to get to the Zip World Stadium and watch North Wales fans lift the roof of the stand with their support.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1