Jump to content

Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts


14 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

More people would have gone on a weekend than a thursday night, people who believe otherwise are not intellectually capable. 

I don´t think Giant fans after a decade of woeful crowds should be lecturing any other club tbh. The status quo of clubs like Huddersfield has clearly failedthe sport. The lesson is not to tank your own product.  

But again, you're guessing and surmising, you don't know if people would have turned up or not.

You need to get over the fact that Huddersfield are alive and well, it's not doing you any good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That's 900 over the capacity at Moor Lane. Salford hopefully now thinking big not small!

Could have been a lockout at Moor Lane and we’d have had priceless FA Cup-style footage of local urchins climbing trees to get a glimpse of the action. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/06/2022 at 14:56, steve oates said:

.........But it didn't work. Despite the massive on field success Hetherington didn't see any real growth despite the magnificent cup feat and he eventually declared RL was simply not working in Sheffield. 

Just for reference, this is complete bulls hit.

Hetherington sold Sheffield as a very solid going concern and integral member of the top flight about 18 months before they won the Challenge Cup. And has never, ever, made any comment whatsoever about "RL simply not working" in the city.

The Sheffield story does highlight the importance of key individuals whose own abilities can make clubs, and the perils that can follow when those individuals leave. The idiots who followed Hetherington thought they were genius businessmen, but they didn't have the first clue about running a Rugby League club in a non-RL area like Sheffield.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

Just for reference, this is complete bulls hit.

Hetherington sold Sheffield as a very solid going concern and integral member of the top flight about 18 months before they won the Challenge Cup. And has never, ever, made any comment whatsoever about "RL simply not working" in the city.

The Sheffield story does highlight the importance of key individuals whose own abilities can make clubs, and the perils that can follow when those individuals leave. The idiots who followed Hetherington thought they were genius businessmen, but they didn't have the first clue about running a Rugby League club in a non-RL area like Sheffield.

It's annoying when people repeat untruths like this and it undermines their entire arguments. I remember the same poster making the same claim previously and being corrected. Once may be accidental but to just repeat it again suggests an agenda at play.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, M j M said:

Just for reference, this is complete bulls hit.

Hetherington sold Sheffield as a very solid going concern and integral member of the top flight

The Sheffield story does highlight the importance of key individuals whose own abilities can make clubs, and the perils that can follow when those individuals leave. The idiots who followed Hetherington............

 

Sheffield Eagles (Wikipedia) Just as the club seemed to be on the verge of its greatest period, following the win in the cup final, things began to go wrong. The expected increase in attendances did not happen and the team did not perform well, finishing close to relegation. Finances plummeted and with little outside help it became apparent that the Eagles were not viable in their current state. Just a year after performing the greatest upset in Challenge Cup history, the Eagles announced that they were to fold at the end of the season should no investors come on board to save the club.

I also personally recall the disappointment that the Wembley Victory did nothing to boost the Eagles in terms of attracting people to play Rugby League in Sheffield and new people to come in and provide greater levels of investment. We should beg to differ. You appear to be saying if Hetherington had stayed Eagles would now be still in Superleague, with bigger crowds and with a relatively strong presence in schools and a significant number of Amateur clubs developing the kids into professionals?  Are you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, steve oates said:

You appear to be saying if Hetherington had stayed Eagles would now be still in Superleague, with bigger crowds and with a relatively strong presence in schools and a significant number of Amateur clubs developing the kids into professionals?  Are you?

I'm not saying anything of the sort, stop creating false binaries.

But we can be very certain that if Hetherington had remained the club would not have gone bust and would not in a million years have merged with Huddersfield. For starters he would never have begun paying over the odds for players or budgeted for huge increases in crowds which would have driven the club out of business if/when they didn't turn up.

Sheffield had to be run as a tight ship, it was never going to be a great moneymaking venture and its success (by which I mean a reliable SL club with 3-5,000 crowds and financial stability) came through doggedly sticking around, embedding themselves locally, grabbing attention where they could, spotting and signing players on the cheap who would overachieve and being willing to cash in on good players that other clubs would pay good transfer fees for (Powell to Keighley and Aston to and then from Fev being the obvious examples).

Mark Aston continues to run Sheffield on similar principles today, but the ability to get to the top flight isn't quite as easy as it was.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, M j M said:

But we can be very certain that if Hetherington had remained the club would not have gone bust.

Sheffield had to be run as a tight ship, it was never going to be a great moneymaking venture which I mean a reliable SL club with 3-5,000 crowds and financial stability........) Mark Aston continues to run Sheffield on similar principles today, but the ability to get to the top flight isn't quite as easy as it was.

If Hetherington HAD remained at the club would it now be a viable club for Superleague in terms of being able to run an academy developing players and finding the funds to pay professional wages.  I merely suggest that isn't really the case for this well loved club even if they had a rich owner on board.  You appear to agree.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Damien said:

It's annoying when people repeat untruths like this and it undermines their entire arguments. I remember the same poster making the same claim previously and being corrected. Once may be accidental but to just repeat it again suggests an agenda at play.

Plenty of those on all sides on here 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I'm not saying anything of the sort, stop creating false binaries.

But we can be very certain that if Hetherington had remained the club would not have gone bust and would not in a million years have merged with Huddersfield. For starters he would never have begun paying over the odds for players or budgeted for huge increases in crowds which would have driven the club out of business if/when they didn't turn up.

Sheffield had to be run as a tight ship, it was never going to be a great moneymaking venture and its success (by which I mean a reliable SL club with 3-5,000 crowds and financial stability) came through doggedly sticking around, embedding themselves locally, grabbing attention where they could, spotting and signing players on the cheap who would overachieve and being willing to cash in on good players that other clubs would pay good transfer fees for (Powell to Keighley and Aston to and then from Fev being the obvious examples).

Mark Aston continues to run Sheffield on similar principles today, but the ability to get to the top flight isn't quite as easy as it was.

You cannot be certain of things that didn't happen , only guess 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, steve oates said:

Sheffield Eagles (Wikipedia) Just as the club seemed to be on the verge of its greatest period, following the win in the cup final, things began to go wrong. The expected increase in attendances did not happen and the team did not perform well, finishing close to relegation. Finances plummeted and with little outside help it became apparent that the Eagles were not viable in their current state. Just a year after performing the greatest upset in Challenge Cup history, the Eagles announced that they were to fold at the end of the season should no investors come on board to save the club.

I also personally recall the disappointment that the Wembley Victory did nothing to boost the Eagles in terms of attracting people to play Rugby League in Sheffield and new people to come in and provide greater levels of investment. We should beg to differ. You appear to be saying if Hetherington had stayed Eagles would now be still in Superleague, with bigger crowds and with a relatively strong presence in schools and a significant number of Amateur clubs developing the kids into professionals?  Are you?

Hang on, I thought Huddersfield stole them?

Or is that just a myth that certain clubs fans still hold on to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meast said:

Hang on, I thought Huddersfield stole them?

Or is that just a myth that certain clubs fans still hold on to?

Huddersfield took advantage of the weakened position of an important SL club to absorb that club and avoid their own, well-earned, relegation.

They did not show any interest in preserving the well-established foundations of Rugby League in Sheffield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Josef K said:

FC looked to have taken a good following tonight, hopefully they would’ve had a nice weekend to make up for the result. That weather would have been too hot for me. 

Would be a wonderful sign of normality to start seeing big away followings going over there again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, M j M said:

Huddersfield took advantage of the weakened position of an important SL club to absorb that club and avoid their own, well-earned, relegation.

They did not show any interest in preserving the well-established foundations of Rugby League in Sheffield.

But the argument has always been that Sheffield were a sound, stable club and Huddersfield stole them to avoid relegation.

The fact that SLE waved £1m in front of them has never entered most people's thoughts.

Either way it was a shambles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, M j M said:

I'm not saying anything of the sort, stop creating false binaries.

But we can be very certain that if Hetherington had remained the club would not have gone bust and would not in a million years have merged with Huddersfield. For starters he would never have begun paying over the odds for players or budgeted for huge increases in crowds which would have driven the club out of business if/when they didn't turn up.

Sheffield had to be run as a tight ship, it was never going to be a great moneymaking venture and its success (by which I mean a reliable SL club with 3-5,000 crowds and financial stability) came through doggedly sticking around, embedding themselves locally, grabbing attention where they could, spotting and signing players on the cheap who would overachieve and being willing to cash in on good players that other clubs would pay good transfer fees for (Powell to Keighley and Aston to and then from Fev being the obvious examples).

Mark Aston continues to run Sheffield on similar principles today, but the ability to get to the top flight isn't quite as easy as it was.

Also,  pretty sure that with live sport being a premium for live tv we would all murder to have Sheffield averaging 5k with one game a year at a footy stadium and a nice fat potential tv audience .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9,858 at Saints today. Our lowest of the season, a shame as it will probably discourage more Sunday fixtures.

Looked as many as the 11K for Hull FC to my eye (which seemed on the high side as an announced crowd, but what do I know!)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Chris22 said:

9,858 at Saints today. Our lowest of the season, a shame as it will probably discourage more Sunday fixtures.

Looked as many as the 11K for Hull FC to my eye (which seemed on the high side as an announced crowd, but what do I know!)

I was expecting a good crowd on yesterday. But i think fans have got used to the Friday night matches and then having the rest of the weekend for themselves. It did look more than 9,800 announced but full credit to the couple of hundred hardy soul’s who made the long journey from East Hull.
The weather people said the strong winds would die down for Sunday, but it didn’t it was blowing a gale. Even some people were saying it was cold at the game. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I was expecting a good crowd on yesterday. But i think fans have got used to the Friday night matches and then having the rest of the weekend for themselves. It did look more than 9,800 announced but full credit to the couple of hundred hardy soul’s who made the long journey from East Hull.
The weather people said the strong winds would die down for Sunday, but it didn’t it was blowing a gale. Even some people were saying it was cold at the game. 

Couple of hundred, don't you mean couple of hundred thousand? apparently the huge away support from both Hull clubs keeps super league clubs in business for another year! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/06/2022 at 12:58, gingerjon said:

France, Australia, ,New Zealand, Papua New Guinea

Rugby League is of course very restricted in France and NZ in the same way it is restricted here. The longevity of the game gives it some roots, but rival sports, like here, have been the reason the game in these places has not achieved the same success as the NRL, who somehow is bigger than Soccer in Oz. I am sure you don't think League here can overtake the English Premiership or the reach of Rugby Union? 

It's perhaps the same thing here. Historically Rugby League did well across the industrial belt of Yorkshire and Lancashire, but only in restricted places. It's a game that became big in Wigan, St. Helens, Warrington, Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield area, Huddersfield Hull and Halifax before Soccer really got going.  It's also a game people  have managed to just about completely ignore in Liverpool, much of Manchester, Bolton, Scunthorpe, Barnsley, Blackpool, Rotherham, Sheffield, Harrogate and Doncaster, who are still waiting to take off 70 years later??

Talking of Sheffield I do concede that Hetherington left the club for Leeds selling it on to a new owner, who then had the delights of the Wembley win over Wigan. But the fact seems to remain that the Sheffield publics reaction to this feat was one of apathy leading the owner to bail out AFAIK dumping the club on Huddersfield. This error doesn't change my stance that the expansion of pro Rugby League won't ever work outside the "Northern heartlands" of which I include Barrow!!, and notwithstanding Semor Kurdi piling £Millions into Newcastle. The the key to the games survival is hold on to what we have, and if someone wants to join us let's ensure it's a serious well funded project.  

Sorry that is not as glamorous as having clubs popping up all over the country, but I have read Trevor Delaney's book charting the failure of scores of new clubs from 1897 on to today.

I would guess that any new TV deal will now go to the Established clubs responsible for providing the TV fare, and the quality players to deliver it who sadly  include loads of Antipodeans which tells us something. It may be the case that rather than "expanding" we are being propped up by the bottom of the NRL's player pool?? It may be we are set to lose clubs from the bottom of our leagues. We shall see........ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/06/2022 at 16:52, GUBRATS said:

Plenty of those on all sides on here 

Thanks for that, if we can't discredit the argument, it's good manners to concede it. I am sure the nature of the medium we are using makes it a lot easier not to do so. Rugby League is strong in Leigh - is that historical do you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/06/2022 at 11:54, meast said:

But again, you're guessing and surmising, you don't know if people would have turned up or not.

You need to get over the fact that Huddersfield are alive and well, it's not doing you any good.

Again, anyone who thinks More people wouldnt go to a game on saturday than on thursday is brain dead.  

Giants are alive.  Well? Having a great season and still getting awful crowds.  We have seen the peak of the clubs potential and it isnt helping the sport. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...