Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I assume he means rugby league. It annoys the heck out of me but a lot of people on this forum use the word ‘we’ to describe the sport. 

Oi! I do that! (Well, sometimes, in the context of if it's something that affects the whole game or how people might see us).

I'm just interested in what he thinks we are doing. It's David Hughes's money versus Newcastle Thunder's money. It's not like there's anything over and above the Championship placement distribution helping them out.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Both Cas and Leeds had their biggest crowds of the season when Salford were in town. Yep. Let's get rid, cos Salford and Huddersfield bring nothing to Superleague. 

Wigan had their biggest crowd when Toulouse were in town.

9 hours ago, Bring back GB said:

A massive 395 at Newcastle v London yesterday, and these are the type of clubs certain people believe should be in the upper tiers of any restructured league, big city clubs with shiny stadiums !!!!!

I'm sorry but if the sport hasn't caught on in these places after decades then it never will. We are flogging a dead horse !

Also worth mentioning that Newcastle are full-time !!!!!  How on earth can that be sustained on such tiny crowds ?

Most schools in London don't play rugby league and that would be the only place kids become aware of it. That's not the fault of the Broncos or Skolars for that matter. That's why the sport hasn't caught on. But the old boys don't want to acknowlege that failing and would rather consign the sport to a part-time future. Sky won't increase the rights for Leigh or Featherstone. Maybe Bradford if they ever get their act together. I think Sky will walk away eventually. We'll see what IMG do.

17 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Does anyone have the average crowds so far this season and how do they compare to previous seasons?

According to Wikipedia - which in this case does seem to be based on proper sources - this season's SL average is 8,200 compared to around 8,500 in the three seasons pre-covid. 

So all things considered not terrible, but cumulatively across the whole league that's still about 1 mln quid of lost revenue compared with 2019, so we def need to see that figure heading back toward the 9k mark. 

6 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Just average crowds for individual clubs and SL average. Including loop fixtures

Ah right, i wonder what the average crowd would be if just the eleven home fixtures were counted without the loopy loop games ?. 

22 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Does anyone have the average crowds so far this season and how do they compare to previous seasons?

Super League average home attendance for 2022 according to RL project

(2019 figures according to Wikipedia)

Castleford 7,649 (7,253)

Catalans 7,708 (10,560)

Huddersfield 5,085 (5,222)

Hull FC 10,542 (11,748)

Hull KR 7,222 (8,185)

Leeds 12,141 (11,838)

Salford 4,754 (3,676)

St Helens 12,281 (11,910)

Toulouse 4,618 (N/A)

Wakefield 4,595 (5,468)

Warrington 8,367 (10,970)

Wigan 11,000 (11,432)

London N/A (2,021)

There's no real comparison with 2021 as there was still Covid restrictions but the comparisons can be made with 2019, the last regular, pre covid season.

1 minute ago, meast said:

Super League average home attendance for 2022 according to RL project

(2019 figures according to Wikipedia)

Castleford 7,649 (7,253)

Catalans 7,708 (10,560)

Huddersfield 5,085 (5,222)

Hull FC 10,542 (11,748)

Hull KR 7,222 (8,185)

Leeds 12,141 (11,838)

Salford 4,754 (3,676)

St Helens 12,281 (11,910)

Toulouse 4,618 (N/A)

Wakefield 4,595 (5,468)

Warrington 8,367 (10,970)

Wigan 11,000 (11,432)

London N/A (2,021)

There's no real comparison with 2021 as there was still Covid restrictions but the comparisons can be made with 2019, the last regular, pre covid season.

Catalans drop is pretty substantial, particularly given they have a local Derby now, has Covid still been affecting things in France during this season? 

25 minutes ago, meast said:

Catalans 2019 average could be skewed by the 31,000 crowd in Barcelona rather than idiots preventing thousands of disinterested French people from attending?

Yes, it was. Their lowest crowds have dropped lower than 2019 as well though, so there has been a drop. One of their recent games got only 6.8k.

I think I always have the perception that Catalans crowds are great, when in 2019, they only broke 10k twice at the Gilbert Brutus, plus the 31k at Barca. 

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Catalans drop is pretty substantial, particularly given they have a local Derby now, has Covid still been affecting things in France during this season? 

I can't believe I'm about to make an 'away fans' point, but are people travelling from the UK in the same numbers? 

In the past for some games, that curved away end has looked packed on TV, but the couple of Cats matches I've caught this year it wasn't quite so full. 

Perhaps after 2 years off, the numbers making the trip hasn't quite recovered, for a variety of reasons. 

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

I can't believe I'm about to make an 'away fans' point, but are people travelling from the UK in the same numbers? 

In the past for some games, that curved away end has looked packed on TV, but the couple of Cats matches I've caught this year it wasn't quite so full. 

Perhaps after 2 years off, the numbers making the trip hasn't quite recovered, for a variety of reasons. 

Yeah, I expect that will play a part, probably across the league too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

British fans also have a choice of two French clubs to visit this year.

Many will be doing Catalans or Toulouse rather than both.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, it was. Their lowest crowds have dropped lower than 2019 as well though, so there has been a drop. One of their recent games got only 6.8k.

I think I always have the perception that Catalans crowds are great, when in 2019, they only broke 10k twice at the Gilbert Brutus, plus the 31k at Barca. 

To try and slate their crowds and state on the end they got 31k is a bit unfair...

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

How many home games did they actually have last year? Their last two were sell outs with the league leaders on the line. 

On 01/08/2022 at 13:33, daz39 said:

We were mocked for our lack of numbers in the cup final but it was around 150% of our usual home support, The big clubs would be taking around 35,000 if they matched those numbers.

It is frowned upon to use a places per capita situation to align the crowd numbers, and I am surprised you are doing so with a 2021 population of 220K Huddersfield's average home numbers would be far down the list percentage wise.

Edited by Harry Stottle