Trafford Borough

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

South Liverpool were streets ahead of Stanley in those days and are now at their highest level in 30 years, the NWCL Div 1 North. 

I saw South Liverpool were back. That's great. Colne Dynamos were also going places back then. 

Shame they fell by the wayside too. Aren't Colne back with a team, now?

And so we shall again…

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, devonhawk said:

I saw South Liverpool were back. That's great. Colne Dynamos were also going places back then. 

I remember Colne won the league by about 30 points around 1988 or 89, maybe more, must have been bankrolled by someone who pulled out as they disappeared soon after iirc. 

South Liverpool have existed the whole time, they re-formed shortly after going bust, but it’s only this year that they’ve got in the NWCL, after three promotions in a row. They’ve got their ground sorted and are getting over 100 for matches (had nearly 600 when Bury played there the other week). 

1 hour ago, devonhawk said:

I never saw football there. Back in those days, Atherton LR and Accrington Stanley were the teams i watched in Non-League. 

How things change, Stanley are in League 1.

LR are still rubbish though 😒 

LR in the 90s. Soapy, Diamond and Feeley !. 

3 hours ago, devonhawk said:

Maurice Lyndsey has a lot to answer for. We are no closer to Australia now, than we were then. Only the Kiwis are better than us now too.

If Chorley ever did come back, I would definitely get a season ticket. Even if like with my Hunslet one now, I never actually use it. 

I have some photos somewhere of Chorley when Kurt Sorenson playing at Victory Park.

I have a Chorley Lynx polo shirt from the 2003 play offs.

Went to their last ever game v York in 2004.

Was absolutely gutted when T Hemmings withdrew his sponsorship and the Lynx died.

Still go to Victory Park and watch Chorley FC ⚽

3 hours ago, glemiln said:

Cheers buddy, there's games here that I was at, but never seen on film.

And so we shall again…

3 hours ago, devonhawk said:

I never saw football there. Back in those days, Atherton LR and Accrington Stanley were the teams i watched in Non-League. 

How things change, Stanley are in League 1.

LR are still rubbish though 😒 

As a 1916 Club member at Atherton Collieries, have yourself a like 😉 

2 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

I have a Chorley Lynx polo shirt from the 2003 play offs.

Went to their last ever game v York in 2004.

Was absolutely gutted when T Hemmings withdrew his sponsorship and the Lynx died.

Still go to Victory Park and watch Chorley FC ⚽

Grew up nearby and  whilst a Saints supporter remember going to victory park as part of a crowd of 250 watching them play Nottingham 

Sad that they were part of Lyndsey’s cull  he would have got rid of anyone to make the numbers work   Workington in administration were in the firing line

good to see the Football123 club doing well   I go to watch Prescot Cables and sitting in the stands brings back memories of Prescot Panthers 

6 hours ago, devonhawk said:

Maurice Lyndsey has a lot to answer for. We are no closer to Australia now, than we were then. Only the Kiwis are better than us now too.

If Chorley ever did come back, I would definitely get a season ticket. Even if like with my Hunslet one now, I never actually use it. 

I have some photos somewhere of Chorley when Kurt Sorenson playing at Victory Park.

I've got photos in my head of Tim Street swearing at Barrow fans in a Chorley away game at Cravan park.

12 hours ago, devonhawk said:

Back when I were a lad in the North West, my old man and ma, got divorced. So the old lady to keep her interest in rugby league decided that we would watch Trafford Borough, then Chorley Borough when Trafford went back to Blackpool. She wouldn't go to the club the old man watched with his new lass. 

Anyway, I still have the original Borough shirt, and a new retro version made by Lammy Sports based in Hull (I think). They also did Chorley Lynx, Highfield, Blackpool Gladiators and more. Well worth a look.

If I can upload them, I will. 

How i would love to see a team in League1 or above with a Manchester connection in their name and playing in Manchester.

I think the RFL missed a trick with the Manchester Rangers.

12 hours ago, devonhawk said:

Yes, we went to the new Chorley. My old man is Salford, well he was, ‘but “az not guin t bloody soulless tin shed in th’eccles”

He obviously didnt let a difficult domestic situation affect his judgement.

And neither was he alone in that position.  Good man your old man.

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

And neither was he alone in that position.  Good man your old man.

Yeah!  His (and others) steadfast refusal to modernise mean the club are shortly due to hand over their purpose built stadium to a rugby union club as owners, and move themselves into a tiny non-league soccer ground, becoming proud tenants (of course) at the worst ground in Super League.

Well done your old man, a real victory for the "traditionalists"!!

2 hours ago, Griff said:

1993/94. Went there for a JPS preliminary round game on a Tuesday night.

I know I went. Cannot remember who against, scores. I would have got the programmes. Not a clue what they looked like. Got thrown away when I moved home. Normally I have some memories of matches that I went. Big sign I am getting old, and stressed !.

11 hours ago, The Future is League said:

How i would love to see a team in League1 or above with a Manchester connection in their name and playing in Manchester.

I think the RFL missed a trick with the Manchester Rangers.

Although there was clearly a lot of thought and effort put in by those behind the scenes, the Regional Athletics Stadium is never, ever going to be an enticing stadium from which to watch field sports. Too far from the pitch with too little elevation. You can put on all the beer festivals in the world, but people have got to be able to enjoy the main event or it’s a non starter. And the Academy Stadium was never going to be an option before someone suggests it. 

On 11/02/2022 at 16:43, devonhawk said:

Just ML… bit unfair that

On 11/02/2022 at 16:53, devonhawk said:

Yes, they're chugging along in the Northern Premiere League West. Going through Colne a couple of years ago I saw a signpost for Colne Dynamos, don't know if the new club's using the same ground.

31 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Yes, they're chugging along in the Northern Premiere League West. Going through Colne a couple of years ago I saw a signpost for Colne Dynamos, don't know if the new club's using the same ground.

Same ground, yes. Makes Mount Pleasant look like it was laid with a spirit level. 

3 hours ago, Pie tries said:

I help with a junior team in Altrincham. Plenty of RL interest beneath the surface over here - always on the look out for helpers if anyone local fancies pending a hand !?

More than happy to help with anything I can do from a laptop. Social media, general profile building etc.

And so we shall again…

39 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I saw Cas play Chorley Lynx / Borough , ( can't recall which version, but the match programme will be in my stash of programmes in the garage) .

A google on wiki shows it was at Victory Park 1989.

I remember two things from the day: the programme enthusing about the number of international players that Cas had playing for them, and not being allowed to buy a pint as I wasn't allowed in their bar / clubhouse.

Getting barred from a bar that you’ve never been to before is a superb achievement. 

Archived