NRL a league of its own

17 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

The NRL could and should be a force for good for the game worldwide. And, as an NH fan, I look at this and think 1) it’s good to see how big our game can get, 2) what does this mean for my team, and the competitions I follow: SL and the international game? And there is plenty of evidence that the NRL is good for the NRL, but arguably, and I would argue, SL and the international game are not benefiting. Which is not to blame the NRL, and their 2 dozen UK based enthusiasts.

But, after a World Cup which saw huge crowds and viewing figures, we face an SL which with every year looks like a third class competition, and an international game whose bigger fixtures will remain a distant third behind the NRL and SoO. Such is life and their tiny band of UK fans are entitled not to care, but I think the most pressing question that flows from the Roosters being richer than Croesus is how can that benefit the whole game? 

I think there is a discussion to be had about the international game and the power of line domestic competitions.

But just picking up on the point of Super League not benefitting from the NRL.  In what way should the UK domestic competition benefit from the Australian one?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

30 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

2) what does this mean for my team, and the competitions I follow: SL and the international game? And there is plenty of evidence that the NRL is good for the NRL, but arguably, and I would argue, SL and the international game are not benefiting

Eh?? 😆

Your current "Dream Team" contains a full backline (except Wellsby) of Aus/Samoan ex NRL guys who either couldn't quite make it in the big league, or are too old and slow for NRL footy nowadays. 

The NRL is so strong, it can dump these guys into the English comp and they are immediately the best players in the league.

Without these cast offs, the English clubs would be sifting through the likes of Halifax for players. It is thanks to the NRL that the super league retains some credibility as a pro comp!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Personally I don't give a xxxxx about the NRL, irrelevant no matter what the draggers think, and the homegrown apologists. 

And yet you took the time & effort to post on a thread who’s title starts of with NRL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

OK, I will play.

Explain to me why I would be better off if the NRL was a Rugby Union competition.

I think you think this is a game which is fine.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

22 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think you think this is a game which is fine.

I just want you to explain your claim that I would be better off if the NRL was a Rugby Union competition.  I just want to understand why you think that.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

Eh?? 😆

Your current "Dream Team" contains a full backline (except Wellsby) of Aus/Samoan ex NRL guys who either couldn't quite make it in the big league, or are too old and slow for NRL footy nowadays. 

The NRL is so strong, it can dump these guys into the English comp and they are immediately the best players in the league.

Without these cast offs, the English clubs would be sifting through the likes of Halifax for players. It is thanks to the NRL that the super league retains some credibility as a pro comp!

What does sifting through the "likes" of Halifax mean? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I just want you to explain your claim that I would be better off if the NRL was a Rugby Union competition.  I just want to understand why you think that.

And I think I've already made that obvious.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

You wouldn’t.

Trying to understand Oxford,yeah good luck with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The more professional leagues across the globe the more the international game will grow. We need a strong super league but also a strong European league as well as an American comp in the next 20 years. 

I feel we’re similar to football then we are to rugby union. Establishing the club game to a higher standard and the introduction of more professional comps will drive the game to a more global level

• Like 1

On 12/03/2022 at 15:29, Live after death said:

Its so depressing that we have allowed it to happen, but Super league is like Scottish Premier league to English, Canadian football league to NFL. Not sure we can ever get back to even close to that level, I’ve e never been so disillusioned with the game in this country. We really need the game at all world wide levels to be run by Australian Rugby League, but they don’t need it. 

Dear god the nonsense on here gets worse.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Might I make a suggestion, with the proviso that I haven`t read the post/s referred to, perhaps he (Oxford) means if the NRL was a union competition that would make the Super League the premier Rugby League competition in the world. Just a thought.

Edited by The Rocket
add summat.

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Might I make a suggestion, with the proviso that I haven`t read the post/s referred to, perhaps he (Oxford) means if the NRL was a union competition that would make the Super League the premier Rugby League competition in the world. Just a thought.

Well, seeing as though I love watching both the NRL and Super League and thoroughly enjoy top class Rugby League whenever and wherever it is played, that doesn't feel like much of a win for me.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well, seeing as though I love watching both the NRL and Super League and thoroughly enjoy top class Rugby League whenever and wherever it is played, that doesn't feel like much of a win for me.

Au contraire, comrade. The Aussies are holding us back. A wealthy and successful RL competition anywhere in the world undermines our credentials. Without the NRL, we would fulfil our destiny as the most marginalized and oppressed community in the history of marginalized and oppressed communities.

Rugby League Lives Matter. We need recognition under the Equality Act of our protected characteristics. Decolonize the rulebook. Demand reparations from the RFU, BBC, Sky, and anyone else who ever did us wrong.

Everyone from Owen Jones to Ash Sarkar will stand in solidarity with us. Our carbon footprint is already impressively low. Eventually we could become the favourite sport of Just Stop Oil protesters. 

To some faint hearts all this might look like complete failure. However, the darkest hour is just before the dawn. The true Rugby League fans, the real visionaries among us, can see that yonder lies the pure joy of pristine victimhood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Put this observation here not because of any desire to start any arguments over the relative merits of any competitions, but just out of interest and an indicator of the way the game is evolving.

Last night`s NRL game kicked off at 7.50 p.m. at about 8.26 p.m.- 36 minutes after kick-off - the match clock said 34 minutes of game time had elapsed. I find this incredible that we are obviously having such long periods of uninterrupted play these days.

Edited by The Rocket

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I find this incredible that we are obviously having such long periods of uninterrupted play these days.

I believe we need to break up some of these passages. Many are just set for set completions of 5 one-out hit-ups, an unchallenged kick, and suffocating chase. Coaches and players know this is the only way to stop officials making calls. Anything more ambitious or intricate risks turning the ball over.

Closer scores are probably the main reason for the uptick in crowds and ratings. Have to think though that over time audiences will need more variety to remain engaged. NRL leaders shouldn't be complacent.

Our backline players are too occupied smashing into 3-man tackles early in the count. Hardly the most exhilarating use of their talent. Plus more chance of getting injured, meaning more career time on the side-line.

When you next watch a game, imagine the difference throughout if defenders strove to play at the ball on every kick. Would be a lot harder to take your eyes off NRL (or switch over to check the Fumble). Not only the possible unpredictable moments. Also opens up the field for the back three on kick returns by making the kick-chase harder to effect. And the ball would be in play just the same as now. One minor rule change could bring this about.

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Put this observation here not because of any desire to start any arguments over the relative merits of any competitions, but just out of interest and an indicator of the way the game is evolving.

Last night`s NRL game kicked off at 7.50 p.m. at about 8.26 p.m.- 36 minutes after kick-off - the match clock said 34 minutes of game time had elapsed. I find this incredible that we are obviously having such long periods of uninterrupted play these days.

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I believe we need to break up some of these passages. Many are just set for set completions of 5 one-out hit-ups, an unchallenged kick, and suffocating chase. Coaches and players know this is the only way to stop officials making calls. Anything more ambitious or intricate risks turning the ball over.

Closer scores are probably the main reason for the uptick in crowds and ratings. Have to think though that over time audiences will need more variety to remain engaged. NRL leaders shouldn't be complacent.

Our backline players are too occupied smashing into 3-man tackles early in the count. Hardly the most exhilarating use of their talent. Plus more chance of getting injured, meaning more career time on the side-line.

When you next watch a game, imagine the difference throughout if defenders strove to play at the ball on every kick. Would be a lot harder to take your eyes off NRL (or switch over to check the Fumble). Not only the possible unpredictable moments. Also opens up the field for the back three on kick returns by making the kick-chase harder to effect. And the ball would be in play just the same as now. One minor rule change could bring this about.

I'm not sure we have to do anything.

I loved the commentary from Cooper Cronk during the Dolphins Rabbitohs game when he actually provided the kind of insight you want from an ex international and expert summariser. 

During the first 25/30 minutes he was stressing that the Dolphins were doing really well to keep the ball in play and complete high because they are a team that excels in the attritional plays and as a team they do the effort plays really well.

He stressed that Souths on the other hand thrived in broken play where penalties won can help them to set up for the shift plays they execute so well.

It was fascinating to see the rest of the game play out keeping this insight in mind.

For me, we have laws and certain teams play a certain style within those laws.  I would say.... let's just stop tinkering for a bit and enjoy it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Compare that to the other lot (union)….36 minutes of penalties, preparing scrums……and still20 minutes of  playing time left.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not sure we have to do anything.

I would say.... let's just stop tinkering for a bit and enjoy it.

We don't have to change the charge down rule, but we should if we believe it would improve the game. This rule has never been tinkered with. It's an over half a century old anachronism. Ought to have been addressed when limited possession was introduced.

Anyway, for god's sake don't reply or Flash Futtocks will have to step in and save the thread from annihilation.

On 14/04/2023 at 23:41, unapologetic pedant said:

Look I know where you`re coming from, but just the sheer pace and intensity of the teams going set for set this year, marching back and forth up and down the field, I think has been compelling in itself.

And it`s not as if we aren`t getting a plentiful supply of incredible acts of physicality and skill to be enthralled over anyway.

HSAT, still think changing the charge-down rule has a lot of merit and not a lot of downside.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Look I know where you`re coming from, but just the sheer pace and intensity of the teams going set for set this year, marching back and forth up and down the field, I think has been compelling in itself.

And it`s not as if we aren`t getting a plentiful supply of incredible acts of physicality and skill to be enthralled over anyway.

HSAT, still think changing the charge-down rule has a lot of merit and not a lot of downside.

Would still urge against complacency in the fight with Fumble. NRL needs to be ahead of the curve. Halcyon days are the best time to assess and future-proof the product.

Had to google HSAT. And got "Home Sleep Apnea Test". None the wiser.

• Haha 1

On 15/04/2023 at 07:40, unapologetic pedant said:

We don't have to change the charge down rule, but we should if we believe it would improve the game. This rule has never been tinkered with. It's an over half a century old anachronism. Ought to have been addressed when limited possession was introduced.

Are you guys suggesting changing a charge down to be a normal knock-on? Or removing the tackle count restart? Or something else?

Just curious...

• Like 1

On 15/04/2023 at 16:45, unapologetic pedant said:

Would still urge against complacency in the fight with Fumble. NRL needs to be ahead of the curve. Halcyon days are the best time to assess and future-proof the product.

Had to google HSAT. And got "Home Sleep Apnea Test". None the wiser.

Having Said All That? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stookie said:

Are you guys suggesting changing a charge down to be a normal knock-on? Or removing the tackle count restart? Or something else?

Just curious...

From previous discussions, I know they are advocating for a charge down not to restart the count... therefore encouraging more teams to charge down and create broken play.

Personally, I would keep it as it is as every other deliberate play at the ball is a tackle restart.  But it is a hill I am not going to die on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

From previous discussions, I know they are advocating for a charge down not to restart the count... therefore encouraging more teams to charge down and create broken play.

Personally, I would keep it as it is as every other deliberate play at the ball is a tackle restart.  But it is a hill I am not going to die on.

Every other deliberate play at the ball by hand or arm is a knock-on.

Why is the charge down exempt from the knock-on rule? - To avoid punishing good play and rewarding poor play. Makes sense. Good for the game.

What does restarting the tackle count do? - punishes good play and rewards poor play. Makes no sense. Bad for the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1