Jump to content

Sunday games on tv


Recommended Posts


18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Hopefully not a one off and they replace Thursday night as footy winds down

All games should be Sunday Afternoon, preceded by the Academies (are you listening RFL) and the reserves, yes a pipedream but stadium attendances would increase considerably and in all probability season ticket sales would be on the rise if people knew that regular Sunday's was RL day.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

when i first got satellite tv (bsb) the sunday evening games were a great way to round off the weekend and set me up for the week ahead - saturday evening games have always been a big no due to other things to do - gigs weddings birthdays etc - never got on with saturday evening games

  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

when i first got satellite tv (bsb) the sunday evening games were a great way to round off the weekend and set me up for the week ahead - saturday evening games have always been a big no due to other things to do - gigs weddings birthdays etc - never got on with saturday evening games

I love sat 6 pm kick off , go to the game , out for a beer afterwards 👍

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

All games should be Sunday Afternoon, preceded by the Academies (are you listening RFL) and the reserves, yes a pipedream but stadium attendances would increase considerably and in all probability season ticket sales would be on the rise if people knew that regular Sunday's was RL day.

Counterpoint: this invisible sport would see interest, attendances, sponsorship and television rights diminish rapidly.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Counterpoint: this invisible sport would see interest, attendances, sponsorship and television rights diminish rapidly.

Maybe for you living in Hastings and for that reason I can see why you look to find a way to reject it, but for those who find regular live RL as the best way to watch the game it would most definitely appeal.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Maybe for you living in Hastings and for that reason I can see why you look to find a way to reject it, but for those who find regular live RL as the best way to watch the game it would most definitely appeal.

I said a week or so ago that I would love for rugby league to fail in this country as badly as basketball. There are more senior teams round here than rugby union and an organised league with more teams than Cumbria RL.

So, yup. I'm happy to do my bit from a distance because, owing to the insular and backward attitude of too many involved with the game over the years, that's the only chance there is.

Thankfully, though, even the ridiculous 'only play on Sundays, hide from the TV' attitude, if it ever existed, was long gone by the time I was growing up. Or else - and this is the important bit - I would never have seen the game, never gone to games, never paid broadcasters to watch games, never chosen products simply because they sponsored RL (etc).

Lastly, I would have thought that "those who find regular live RL etc" would prefer it if the games were spread over a long weekend as now. That way they can see more of them.

  • Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

All games should be Sunday Afternoon, preceded by the Academies (are you listening RFL) and the reserves, yes a pipedream but stadium attendances would increase considerably and in all probability season ticket sales would be on the rise if people knew that regular Sunday's was RL day.

I don’t think the reason people are staying away from watching Rugby League in person or we’re not attracting new people to the sport is the fact that they can’t watch some seventeen year olds playing four hours before the main game kicks-off. 

Also, Sunday is already the day with the most professional rugby league played on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I said a week or so ago that I would love for rugby league to fail in this country as badly as basketball. There are more senior teams round here than rugby union and an organised league with more teams than Cumbria RL.

So, yup. I'm happy to do my bit from a distance because, owing to the insular and backward attitude of too many involved with the game over the years, that's the only chance there is.

Thankfully, though, even the ridiculous 'only play on Sundays, hide from the TV' attitude, if it ever existed, was long gone by the time I was growing up. Or else - and this is the important bit - I would never have seen the game, never gone to games, never paid broadcasters to watch games, never chosen products simply because they sponsored RL (etc).

Lastly, I would have thought that "those who find regular live RL etc" would prefer it if the games were spread over a long weekend as now. That way they can see more of them.

Your opinion gingerone, given the choice of watching RL on the box or going to a game I would choose the latter, in fact when either of the local NRL teams in my town are playing at home and it has coincided with a televised game by whatever medium, standing on the touchline has much more appeal to me than sitting on the couch, if that is insular and backward then I respect your view.

But don't discredit those who would if they had a set day - Sunday - to watch their team, and I am going to suggest and will most probably get shot down for it to arrange and go and watch your team quite easily in away fixtures, it is actually wonderful, on the coach with a few scoops, get to the venue, some scran another few scoops, the camaraderie of away fans grouping together, the journey back home to discuss the game, in no way whatsoever does watching on TV come even close to it, but I respect if that is your a only way to watch RL then you will defend it.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I don’t think the reason people are staying away from watching Rugby League in person or we’re not attracting new people to the sport is the fact that they can’t watch some seventeen year olds playing four hours before the main game kicks-off. 

Also, Sunday is already the day with the most professional rugby league played on it. 

Don't be soft Juggy, watching the 17 year olds ior the reserves is an addition for those who would want to go to the game to watch it, the main attraction is the top of the bill as well you know.

Edited by Harry Stottle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't be soft Juggy, watching the 17 year olds ior the reserves is an addition for those who would want to watch it, the main attraction is the top of the bill as well you know.

We won’t attract any new fans or see massive increases in attendances if we had two or three games on, as you suggest. Not being able to see some seventeen year olds you’ve never heard of is not the reason some attendances are as they are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your opinion gingerone, given the choice of watching RL on the box or going to a game I would choose the latter, in fact when either of the local NRL teams in my town are playing at home and it has coincided with a televised game by whatever medium, standing on the touchline has much more appeal to me than sitting on the couch, if that is insular and backward then I respect your view.

But don't discredit those who would if they had a set day - Sunday - to watch their team, and I am going to suggest and will most probably get shot down for it to arrange and go and watch your team quite easily in away fixtures, it is actually wonderful, on the coach with a few scoops, get to the venue, some scran another few scoops, the camaraderie of away fans grouping together, the journey back home to discuss the game, in no way whatsoever does watching on TV come even come close to it, but I respect if that is your a only way to watch RL then you will defend it.

It's quite impressive how you've deliberately chosen to misrepresent every point I made so you can continue a bad faith argument.

I've no interest.

Thankfully, and I do mean thankfully, the idiot idea (note: the idea is idiotic, not you are an idiot) that the entire professional game should kick off at the same time on a Sunday afternoon to please one very specific section of its supporter base isn't one that is going to gain traction any time soon. Which is just as well for those of us who don't want the game to die.

  • Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

We won’t attract any new fans or see massive increases in attendances if we had two or three games on, as you suggest. Not being able to see some seventeen year olds you’ve never heard of is not the reason some attendances are as they are. 

Didn't I just say that the academies and reserves would be the hors d'oeuvres before the main course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Didn't I just say that the academies and reserves would be the hors d'oeuvres before the main course.

People aren’t choosing to not watch Rugby League because they only get one game and not three. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's quite impressive how you've deliberately chosen to misrepresent every point I made so you can continue a bad faith argument.

I've no interest.

Thankfully, and I do mean thankfully, the idiot idea (note: the idea is idiotic, not you are an idiot) that the entire professional game should kick off at the same time on a Sunday afternoon to please one very specific section of its supporter base isn't one that is going to gain traction any time soon. Which is just as well for those of us who don't want the game to die.

I can honestly see your point ginger but when you have the regularity of a set day to arrange to go to watch your team, you kinda organize  - if you are passionate and interested enough - to make it a must do event. I actually feel sorry for those who by whatever reason are not capable to support their team or watch the game "live" frequent or regularly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jughead said:

People aren’t choosing to not watch Rugby League because they only get one game and not three. 

I know, please refer back in this thread I suggested that if the fixtures were played regularly on a Sunday afternoon that would itself increase attendances simply because it would be easier to arrange attending, I didn't think it required spelling out why playing games on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Monday as opposed to the regularity of Sunday afternoons would be less appealing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I know, please refer back in this thread I suggested that if the fixtures were played regularly on a Sunday afternoon that would itself increase attendances simply because it would be easier to arrange attending, I didn't think it required spelling out why playing games on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Monday as opposed to the regularity of Sunday afternoons would be less appealing.

Easier to attend for who? Plenty of Super League clubs play on Friday’s and plenty of people still manage to attend, in fact plenty of clubs are seeing some pretty strong attendances this year. Those clubs that do play regularly on Sunday’s do not tend to see greater attendances than those who don’t. 

You mentioned none of that, however, instead going on about this idea that clubs would see greater attendances if their fans could watch multiple age groups on one day, which is antiquated and would only appeal to those who already attend and commit to season tickets, not anyone else. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This Sunday Channel 4 will broadcast Wigan v Salford and Sky Sports will broadcast Hull FC v Catalans. Is this a one off or will Sunday games be on tv regularly? Other than for magic weekend when was the last time we had 2 games on tv on a Sunday?

3 weeks ago, Wire v Wakey and Barrow v Fartown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...