Is it time for a new coach?

Wakefield Ram

We are in another relegation battle now and theres no lack of effort but the co ordination and morale is only there in patches in each game and this has been the story of the last few seasons. 

We have been unlucky with long term injuries to 5 experienced forwards this season, but I said this last season that it's time for a new coach. I have nothing against LG and I'm sure he's busting a gut to do everything he can, but it isn't working, certainly not for 80 minutes.

Dare I suggest we approach John Kear to take us to the end of the season? Neil Kelly saved us from relegation after Morrison.

Edited by Wakefield Ram

Why put a bandaid on until end a season. Have a whipround and go for broke with a quality coach for the long haul, Had love to know if anyones had a chat with franny cummins or stu dicko. both would get you playing tough and top notch defence again. It still hurts that we kept our coach a season too long, Dont make do,make it happen.

• Like 2

Next season if we survive (not looking possible at the moment) we have to do 3 things

Quality experienced coach (just in case we go down) 

Sign 2 quality halfbacks (unless the said coach above can get the most out of what we've already got🤔

Rather than saving money for players during the season that just won't be available when the $hit is flying and struggling like we've done this season.🤔

And another thing bit fed up of fans saying "nobody will buy the club" 

Only way to test this is to put it up for sale, and see if there is anybody who would buy it.. Rather than dismissing the idea🤔

Bit like selling a car.. Nobody will buy my car... Unless I put a "for sale" sign in the window 🤔🤔

• Like 1

10 hours ago, silverback said:

Why put a bandaid on until end a season. Have a whipround and go for broke with a quality coach for the long haul, Had love to know if anyones had a chat with franny cummins or stu dicko. both would get you playing tough and top notch defence again. It still hurts that we kept our coach a season too long, Dont make do,make it happen.

It worked for Oldham last season, that's for sure.

Without additional players there is very little that any coach can do to really turn the season around.

• Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, coolie said:

Next season if we survive (not looking possible at the moment) we have to do 3 things

Quality experienced coach (just in case we go down) 

Sign 2 quality halfbacks (unless the said coach above can get the most out of what we've already got🤔

Rather than saving money for players during the season that just won't be available when the $hit is flying and struggling like we've done this season.🤔

And another thing bit fed up of fans saying "nobody will buy the club" 

Only way to test this is to put it up for sale, and see if there is anybody who would buy it.. Rather than dismissing the idea🤔

Bit like selling a car.. Nobody will buy my car... Unless I put a "for sale" sign in the window 🤔🤔

Keighley have just signed a decent half back.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Desperate attempt to get out of the graveyard of championship 1

Longer your in it.. 🤔

Harder it will be to get out.. 🤔

As year on year teams are improving... 🤔

Lets face it,Whoever gets the job will sure have a chance to make a name for themselves,And maybe bring in an handfull of players to get you guys kickstarted.

all the best with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spanishknight said:

Not all teams are improving 

No the likes of skolars & West Wales are going backwards, at 1 time the 2 that came down from the championship were the favourites the following season to go up

There's far more pushing than just 2🤔

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spanishknight said:

If it was all about playing at your peak would any "decent" half back really join a C1 outfit?

I think we all know why Chisholm went there and it wasn't for the fresh moorland air.

I see that Toby Everett has also joined Keighley on loan from Batley. Clubs scrambling desperately to make the top 20 in 2023?

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

If it was all about playing at your peak would any "decent" half back really join a C1 outfit?

I think we all know why Chisholm went there and it wasn't for the fresh moorland air.

I see that Toby Everett has also joined Keighley on loan from Batley. Clubs scrambling desperately to make the top 20 in 2023?

Aye and if we don't pull our socks up sharpish 

We won't be in the top 20🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coolie said:

Aye and if we don't pull our socks up sharpish 

We won't be in the top 20🤔

If you believe they will be decided purely on league positions then you are delightfully innocent - not a description that you have ever received before (except from PM, of course, but we don't talk about that).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

If you believe they will be decided purely on league positions then you are delightfully innocent - not a description that you have ever received before (except from PM, of course, but we don't talk about that).

Don't fill me with hope that Sheffield won't make the cut 🤔

• Haha 1

Have been surprised there has been no announcement after last weeks game and performance. Do chairmen still give votes of confidence to managers/coaches?

Maybe the chairman knows what lies ahead in terms of league restructuring in the year(s) ahead and is biding his time to invest in the team next season? 🤔

Alternatively it maybe that he’s just waiting for our ever dwindling fan base to become so disillusioned/insignificant that the club folds and within a few years Barratt’s have bobbed another couple of hundred houses on our ground? 

Edited by Rambo
rambo.gif

14 hours ago, Rambo said:

Have been surprised there has been no announcement after last weeks game and performance. Do chairmen still give votes of confidence to managers/coaches?

Maybe the chairman knows what lies ahead in terms of league restructuring in the year(s) ahead and is biding his time to invest in the team next season?

Alternatively it maybe that he’s just waiting for our ever dwindling fan base to become so disillusioned/insignificant that the club folds and within a few years Barratt’s have bobbed another couple of hundred houses on our ground? 

Good post.  I must confess that my enthusiasm is now at rock bottom and if it wasn't for the fact that I have a season ticket I might even have called it a day.   For the first time in ages I was feeling more optimistic this season than I had for a long time but all that has evaporated in a few months.  Its not just the losses, since the lads always seem to give 100%, but the style of play and the overall performances which have been sub standard too often.  

Then we have this lack of information on injuries and whats going on at the club and a perceived acceptance that we can grind this one out as we have the last 5 years.   Maybe the Chairman does know what lies ahead but we don't !!  And how disappointing to see Chisholm to go to Keighley when we know we are lacking creativity?  The fans need some hope!

The game doesn't help itself either.  The season began in January and we have had 5 home games.  How is any team to maintain interest with five games in four months?  Another blank weekend this week.  Maybe the RL thought half the Championship clubs would still be involved at the Semi Finals stage?  LOL...

• Like 6

So, I’m going to be silly again as a previous comment on a different thread. Just watching semi final play offs and listening to between game comments. We all know that Tony Smith is leaving Hull KR at end of season, but who new that he does not intend to coach in super league after this season. This indicated to me that he does intend to to continue coaching. Ok so it may be in Australia, or alternatively in this country for one of the clubs with need for a coach but a lower profile and less pressure. You may think Bradford / Widnes etc etc — but he knows us, so I’m thinking ( more hoping ) RAMS.

2 hours ago, myview said:

So, I’m going to be silly again as a previous comment on a different thread. Just watching semi final play offs and listening to between game comments. We all know that Tony Smith is leaving Hull KR at end of season, but who new that he does not intend to coach in super league after this season. This indicated to me that he does intend to to continue coaching. Ok so it may be in Australia, or alternatively in this country for one of the clubs with need for a coach but a lower profile and less pressure. You may think Bradford / Widnes etc etc — but he knows us, so I’m thinking ( more hoping ) RAMS.

More likely director of rugby at the Rhinos

• Like 2

7 hours ago, myview said:

He said previously he wasn’t interested.

No he didn't he just said   he has nothing lined up beyond this year but he did say 

"I'll keep my options open. I still want to coach. I have got my mojo back so I'll have to see what arises. There is nothing on the horizon and, if there's any interest out there, I'd love to get a call.MY  preference would be to stay in Super League If not, I will have to look further afield, whether it's France,  or another sport. Maybe I'll have to look around to see if there are any opportunities in rugby union.

BUT all is not lost for the RAMS he also said 

THE CHAMPIONSHIP🥳

16 hours ago, myview said:

More chance of Coolie or Graham fisher winning lotto and getting a beer in than Tony smith coaching the rams 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

More chance of Coolie or Graham fisher winning lotto and getting a beer in than Tony smith coaching the rams 

Simple solution K change their name to FEV rams  job done 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Don't buy lottery tickets🤔

Just in case I win stupid amounts of money 🤔

And not compelled to pour it into a bottomless pit called rugby league🤔

😜😜😜😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, silcoates said:

In the league Express today Lee adds "We need to add a cutting edge to our game and get more points on the board". It's a shame he didn't realise that about two years ago.How on earth is he still in the job.

Just been announced Wilkinson  Sword will be joining the Rams as match day sponsors for the remainder of the season🤔

Is he happy now 🤔😜