Hull KR Confirm Willie Peters

Met him at a Mick Cassidy testimonial event I went with the Mrs(Wigan fan) a long time ago. Seemed a really nice fella. Hope he does well.

I wish him the best. 

It got me wondering about up and coming coaches in England. I guess there are less opportunities in the UK to prove themselves so fewer to choose from. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Another Aussie who’s never been a head coach, and who’ll be off as soon as a better offer comes up in the NRL. 

That's the (true rugby league fan) spirit.  And so what? What better motivation can there be for Peters to make Hull KR sustainably successful?

Just now, JohnM said:

That's the (true rugby league fan) spirit.  And so what? What better motivation can there be for Peters to make Hull KR sustainably successful?

My thoughts are, why are British coaches so rarely considered for SL jobs. James Ford for example, unless he keeps being approached but prefers to stay at York, and Danny Ward also after the great job he did at London is now doing a no mark Yawnion job. It’s a shame that clubs consider second rate Australian coaches to be better appointments than them. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

My thoughts are, why are British coaches so rarely considered for SL jobs. James Ford for example, unless he keeps being approached but prefers to stay at York, and Danny Ward also after the great job he did at London is now doing a no mark Yawnion job. It’s a shame that clubs consider second rate Australian coaches to be better appointments than them. 

That's a different issue though, to criticising Peters before he has drawn breath. On your  point quoted though, it may be that club owners and operators know what they are up to. The game is not a charity, and it's up to Ford and Ward to prove their ambition. Maybe they are happy with their situations.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think they deduce that being an assistant for several years in the NRL is a closer comparison to the demands of running a superleague club than being HC of a part time championship team. I think they're probably right. (See Richard Marshall at Salford) 

Wardy has a bit more on his CV as HC, but ultimately it was only 1 year in superleague and they did get relegated. 

It is a bit chicken-and-egg of course, but Matty Peet being promoted from within offers the best path for British coaches I think. 

35 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's a different issue though, to criticising Peters before he has drawn breath. On your  point quoted though, it may be that club owners and operators know what they are up to. The game is not a charity, and it's up to Ford and Ward to prove their ambition. Maybe they are happy with their situations.

I didn’t criticise him. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Another Aussie who’s never been a head coach, and who’ll be off as soon as a better offer comes up in the NRL. 

I hear what you are saying Eddie, but I would prefer to take a punt on a coach that has come through the NRL coaching systems than the SL.

I would like to see more British coaches come to Australia in the infancy of their career to develop themselves and experience a far superior coaching environment before taking those skills and lessons back to Britain.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I hear what you are saying Eddie, but I would prefer to take a punt on a coach that has come through the NRL coaching systems than the SL.

I would like to see more British coaches come to Australia in the infancy of their career to develop themselves and experience a far superior coaching environment before taking those skills and lessons back to Britain.

Problem is though, once they go, they may never come back. But that's up to them of course. 

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think they deduce that being an assistant for several years in the NRL is a closer comparison to the demands of running a superleague club than being HC of a part time championship team. I think they're probably right. (See Richard Marshall at Salford) 

Wardy has a bit more on his CV as HC, but ultimately it was only 1 year in superleague and they did get relegated. 

It is a bit chicken-and-egg of course, but Matty Peet being promoted from within offers the best path for British coaches I think. 

Well fair enough, but it’s a sad indictment of where RL is in this country.  

A former GB and England international told me that RL is an uncertain industry to work in that he prefers a job away from the sport. He has been approached to work within the game on several occasions.

Two decades ago the sport was on an equal wealth footing with the NRL/ARL. It isn't now.

14 hours ago, Scubby said:

They bottom place will probably be fought out between Peters and Leeds

Welcome home Willie!

Nice one, If you are of a certain vintage...........

Archived