Travelling Fans

9 hours ago, meast said:

But the fans still manage, in general, to get to games up, down and across the country despite this?

Yet RL fans seem to struggle to travel 40,50 miles at most usually.

RL fans do travel. 

I followed Saints home and away for a bit.

It was great seeing the development of players in what became a golden era for the club.

Also I wanted to go to all the grounds and I mostly got to do that.

I’d done it relatively with the football team I support, but found it much easier and in some ways more enjoyable with Saints.  

Have to say that since a mixture of time, opportunity and extra life responsibilities have got in the way.

Should more freedom come about again then I’d fancy things like France away.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

8 minutes ago, meast said:

They do, I'm one of them.

They also look for excuses and obstacles not to travel and attend games.

Indeed , I'll let you know how I get on after speaking ( hopefully ) to so somebody at Headingley today inquiring about the coach parking for the summer bash , I rang last week and was told to e mail , this I did , but no reply as yet 🙁 

33 minutes ago, meast said:

They do, I'm one of them.

They also look for excuses and obstacles not to travel and attend games.

But so do others. 

This isn't an issue. RL fans are normal people doing normal things like football fans do. Places like this just thrive on self-deprecation and judge ourselves far too harshly.

I've seen the likes of Wigan and Saints bring up to 4k to Warrington (less now but still healthy) - and these are clubs that at times have only 10k home fans. That is an excellent following.

More people attend closer games, fewer people attend far away games - that isn't an RL phenomenon. 

Your point (I think it was you who raised it) about things like supporters branches in football is a reason why modest sized clubs may have decent numbers, but that is just an outcome of football being a more popular game overall.

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , I'll let you know how I get on after speaking ( hopefully ) to so somebody at Headingley today inquiring about the coach parking for the summer bash , I rang last week and was told to e mail , this I did , but no reply as yet 🙁 

Hopefully sorted 

21 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

, that's not saying it doesn't happen as myself and my other half are using two days of annual leave to go to our Monday night game at Whitehaven next month.

Just heard a ' whisper ' that the date has been changed 🤔

39 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just heard a ' whisper ' that the date has been changed 🤔

Yes it has confirmed as going back to the Sunday. Had the Sunday-Tuesday hotel on free cancellation thankfully but ended up costing an extra £40 to stay Saturday-Monday instead 🙄 

One thing you have to bear in mind with football is that with a lot of clubs, not going to games can make it more difficult to get tickets for games in future.

As someone who used to follow Leeds United to a few away games, demand almost always outstrips the allocation and it means that if you're not in the top tier for loyalty points, your chances of getting tickets are much, much lower. If you don't go to enough games a season, you can drop down a band very easily. RL doesn't have that issue - it's dead easy to get tickets. 

Yeah, that might not be as much of an issue towards the bottom of the league pyramid, but let's also not pretend that Stevenage are packing out the away end at Valley Parade on a Tuesday night. 

• Like 1

For me its a mixed bag, I travel often to watch Widnes but things such as Junior game kick of times can affect my ability to travel to games. Anyone involved with the community game could run into similar problems, a 11:45 kick off on a Sunday in Bolton for Junior rugby would Cause problems with me travelling to games on the far side of Yorkshire, or up in Cumbria.

Then you have cost, and you have the potential for Victory, Both Hull clubs are reasonably competitive. But if your a Widnes fan, a trip up to Barrow to watch your team get slammed with the cost's of travel etc then its just not worth it right now. 

Teams in form get better away support than teams that are struggling.

This year i have been to london to watch the vikings, but refused to waste my money on a much shorter trip to Fev. I dont see the point in throwing money and time at a match that i wont enjoy, in a game we were never going to win. I would rather watch some local junior rugby.

19 minutes ago, tonyvikinggee said:

For me its a mixed bag, I travel often to watch Widnes but things such as Junior game kick of times can affect my ability to travel to games. Anyone involved with the community game could run into similar problems, a 11:45 kick off on a Sunday in Bolton for Junior rugby would Cause problems with me travelling to games on the far side of Yorkshire, or up in Cumbria.

Then you have cost, and you have the potential for Victory, Both Hull clubs are reasonably competitive. But if your a Widnes fan, a trip up to Barrow to watch your team get slammed with the cost's of travel etc then its just not worth it right now. 

Teams in form get better away support than teams that are struggling.

This year i have been to london to watch the vikings, but refused to waste my money on a much shorter trip to Fev. I dont see the point in throwing money and time at a match that i wont enjoy, in a game we were never going to win. I would rather watch some local junior rugby.

See you at the LSV Tony 👍

On 22/06/2022 at 08:33, HawkMan said:

I'm just an ignorant Southerner , so someone really needs to educate me on why it seems so problematic for RL fans to travel the not very vast distances to get to games. Whereas football fans flock here, there and everywhere to get to games. Is it money?, is the heartlands located in a unique poverty bubble? Or is the M62 actually the most evilly designed road , designed by a maniac making journeys as difficult as treking the Kyber Pass? 

Yes northerners are such whingers 😂

It's 3 hours for away games or SL games I fancy watching for me......I regularly go up and down on a Friday and sometimes even Thursdays ! A blurry eyed Friday is fine as I comfort myself with the nice feeling of escape I'd had the night before 

The petrol price thing had really quietened down the M1 generally which is no bad thing

10 hours ago, The Lad said:

If a club travels it's subject to the location of the team and the significance of the game. In any league a fan base isn't going to travel up and down the country for games that don't matter.

Part time supporter!

Real fans go everywhere, every time.

• Haha 1