Manly players refusing to wear Pride Jersey

2 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

That script read by the commentator while showing the logo on the screen? 🙂

As you can see, the players who are milling around vaguely, are showing their commitment to fighting all forms of discrimination...

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

57 minutes ago, The storm said:

I sort of agree with you, 

I think people should live their lives as they want as long as beliefs are not imposed on others. 

I welcome diversity. 

How is wearing a shirt with a rainbow flag in support of peoples rights imposing anything on you?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It comes from the inherent conflict that exists within a liberal society that religious people are allowed to say that being gay (or, to be specific, the act of homosexuality) is wrong.  We are told that this is a view that must be respected because most Western Civilizations have Judeo-Christian roots and a large proportion, if not a majority, still identify as Christian.  All this while the actual society around them becomes more tolerant and inclusive.

So, we all pretend that the teachings of Christianity are not intolerant and their views must be respected and we have a kind of uneasy truce until things like this occasionally crop up.

Of course, in the countries where they can get away with it, the religious excel in being intolerance and prejudice.

Muslim societies have been known to behead homosexuals of throw them off the top of a roof tied to a chair

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

How is wearing a shirt with a rainbow flag in support of peoples rights imposing anything on you?

Because i may choose not to wear a rainbow flag

Like i choose not to sing the national anthem 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The storm said:

Muslim societies have been known to behead homosexuals of throw them off the top of a roof tied to a chair

Deleted my response - politics

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Did you know that gay conversion therapy is still legal in this country?

how much did it cost you?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

There is an imposition here.

A devout Christian believes that the act of homosexuality is a sin and anyone committing that sin should repent while the rainbow flag is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) and queer pride and so the flag represents pride in something they believe is a sin.  There is a conflict here and that cannot be denied.

By the way, all this tells me is that fundamentalism of religion and a liberal and inclusive society are incompatible no matter how much we pretend they are not.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A devout Christian believes that the act of homosexuality is a sin and anyone committing that sin should repent while the rainbow flag is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) and queer pride and so the flag represents pride in something they believe is a sin.  There is a conflict here and that cannot be denied.

By the way, all this tells me is that fundamentalism of religion and a liberal and inclusive society are incompatible no matter how much we pretend they are not.

A society with lots of pride festivals sounds a lot nicer than one with a lot of fire and brimstone sermons, doesn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, gingerjon said:

A society with lots of pride festivals sounds a lot nicer than one with a lot of fire and brimstone sermons, doesn't it?

Abso-feking-lutely

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, The storm said:

never really worked out the point of been tied to a chair in that situation - surely if your been thrown off the top of a tall building then been tied to a chair is not gonna make it any worse- in fact its just a waste of a perfectly good chair 

• Haha 1

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

never really worked out the point of been tied to a chair in that situation - surely if your been thrown off the top of a tall building then been tied to a chair is not gonna make it any worse- in fact its just a waste of a perfectly good chair 

To be comfortable 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think they are incompatible. As long as everyone is tolerant and doesn't require others to profess a position they don't hold.

The Manly players aren't asking for any action to be taken against homosexual or transgender people.

It is acceptable in a liberal society for gay people to have pride in their sexuality and religious people to consider it a sin.

Likewise it's fine for people to have a religious opinion that others disagree with.

The incompatibility only comes when there is an expectation of everyone to profess the pride in gay/transgenderism by, in this case, wearing a kit that promotes that pride.

Equally it would be a problem if everyone was required to profess the position that homosexuality is sinful.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Who’s asking you to wear a rainbow flag?

So

If i dont wanna do stuff

I dont wanna do stuff

But i welcome other people showing their support

I dont really seek to attach labels to people

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

And someone thrown off a building tied to a chair ?

i think i would request one of those inflatable rubber chairs to be honest 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant see this thread lasting much longer before its locked

I'd best get a few digs in before it's too late then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3