The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

1 hour ago, DG70 said:

Imagine donating some of your hard earned cash to Salford earlier in the year on the proviso that the club will not be selling its best players, sorry, but that's just very poor on so many levels, Dupree, Croft, Ackers all gone, who's next?? embarrassing.

Well for a start, several members of of our family have become Owners+ ,we have also paid up front for our season tickets, which have increased from last year, we also pay  into the weekly lottery and are members of the supporters trust, we do this as we love the club and have done for many years and with Brodie Croft and Andy Ackers going Leeds we are a little upset, but not embarrassed.

The £367000 raised is as I understand it ring fenced and once the situation with the stadium is sorted out  the required work on the levelling up situation will begin and improvements in the club will commence, some changes have already been made behind the scenes in the back office.

The people running the club at present have been doing a very good job at and I have faith in all the board and coaching staff to carry on what they are doing.

By the way I wish Brodie Croft and Andy Ackers all the best for the future and thank them both for their efforts over the last couple of yea

• Like 8

3 hours ago, WSRD said:

The £367000 raised is as I understand it ring fenced and once the situation with the stadium is sorted out  the required work on the levelling up situation will begin and improvements in the club will commence, some changes have already been made behind the scenes in the back office.

The people running the club at present have been doing a very good job at and I have faith in all the board and coaching staff to carry on what they are doing.

You understand correctly. That money is part of the ongoing CBS business plan, which as you state is for operations and the mechanism to apply for additional development funds. 

It is not for the wages of players. As someone very familiar with community owned projects, including FC United, i realized that back then and I expect, if not urge the club to have annual fund raisers.

(If club A needs money then normally the management asks the owner. Salford now has hundreds, so its fair enough to look to us.again.)

Whilst you may understand, sadly Salford's distractors don't or more likely don't want to. I've mentioned client journalism, some of our supposed wordsmiths are more troll journalist in their odd obsessionality about the Red Devils.

Whilst I expect the collective dismal discord from kids on here sat in their bedroom, dressed in only their Spiderman underwear, I sort of expect a higher line of inquiry from professional reporters. 

I don't get it. The pre-occupation with Salford.

It can't be jealousy, as sincerely the Solly are usually haphazardly ###### most of the time,nor do we act in an entitled fashion like certain.

I can only imagine the trollery and general bellendery is more about the overall prejudiced frenzy about "Manchester", its success in comparison with the rest of the generally dissolute North?

Nae surely not?

On 17/10/2023 at 08:34, Harry Stottle said:

I would be totally piffed off if I was a Salford fan, especially one who donated money to the cause, who's next do you reckon, Brierley, Watkins or even Rowley?

I always assumed Salford would be built on a player trading model, as is common in football.

Get players in, develop them and then get a fee to reinvest. Handing out long deals was a sign of that.

Seems completely reasonable to me for a club with their resources and at this stage of their development.  

LEEDS RHINOS have announced the signing of Salford Red Devils star halfback Brodie Croft. Croft is set to be a Headingley player next year, with League Express understanding that a fee of £300,000 has been agreed between Salford and Leeds.

Decent cash that.

And probably £200k in wages. I can not say I am delighted, but hey its part of the territory being a Red. Better than the £zero Solly got for Hastings moving to Wigan to play hooker then. 

Anyone got an idea what Ackers went for? 

And yeah Leonard I like yer analogy of SRD being a Brighton. Perhaps eventually a Skt Pauli, Union Berlin as well with the CBS.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, idrewthehaggis said:

And probably £200k in wages. I can not say I am delighted, but hey its part of the territory being a Red. Better than the £zero Solly got for Hastings moving to Wigan to play hooker then. 

Anyone got an idea what Ackers went for? 

And yeah Leonard I like yer analogy of SRD being a Brighton. Perhaps eventually a Skt Pauli, Union Berlin as well with the CBS.

£200k for croft

£100k for Ackers

Croft is on an upgraded wage at Leeds though.

It was obvious when they signed Croft on a stupidly long contract that this was their intention and it’s paid off with the stars aligned with Leeds needing a player like Croft. It’s a good deal for both clubs.

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

£200k for croft

£100k for Ackers

Croft is on an upgraded wage at Leeds though.

It was obvious when they signed Croft on a stupidly long contract that this was their intention and it’s paid off with the stars aligned with Leeds needing a player like Croft. It’s a good deal for both clubs.

Yup - the trick is to then get a player in on less/same wages who is as good and reinvest the money elsewhere.

Not easy - but necessary one feels for the club to be self sufficient. 

Akers is 30 in Dec as well. Not ancient - but still a consideration in these things no doubt.

How much does Brodie Croft earn?
Is he now a marquee player? Yes, the contract in place has now seen him become a marquee player, meaning he is earning at least £175,000 per season. It is the first time in Salford's history they have used the marquee player rule. 8 Feb 2023.

Not really sustainable for SRD.

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Whilst you may understand, sadly Salford's distractors don't or more likely don't want to. I've mentioned client journalism, some of our supposed wordsmiths are more troll journalist in their odd obsessionality about the Red Devils.

Whilst I expect the collective dismal discord from kids on here sat in their bedroom, dressed in only their Spiderman underwear, I sort of expect a higher line of inquiry from professional reporters. 

It can't be jealousy, as sincerely the Solly are usually haphazardly ###### most of the time,nor do we act in an entitled fashion like certain.

I can only imagine the trollery and general bellendery is more about the overall prejudiced frenzy about "Manchester", its success in comparison with the rest of the generally dissolute North?

Nae surely not?

This seems like a bizarre and paranoid rant. Salford are selling two of their best players for a lot of money, it's going to get press attention. 

There's only twelve clubs in Super League and there are several reporters covering the game for various websites of higher or lower levels of clickbaitery. Your club like all the others is going to get covered, there's no reason to get uppity about it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Leonard said:

No I disagree.

In April, SRD and every other SL clubs were re-assured the Central Funding was to be £1.5m in 2024.

It is actually £1.31m.

In 2022, the stadium hospitality was re-tendered, with it agreed that SRD receive a pct of food and drink sold on match games.

This been reneged by the hospitality firm (annual profits £22m). This would have been £116k.

That is basically the £200k wage gone. 

Had they been obliged, then Croft would probably still be in Red, at least this week.......

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Leonard said:

How much does Brodie Croft earn?
Is he now a marquee player? Yes, the contract in place has now seen him become a marquee player, meaning he is earning at least £175,000 per season. It is the first time in Salford's history they have used the marquee player rule. 8 Feb 2023.

Croft reported to be on around £325k a year at Leeds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M j M said:

Croft reported to be on around £325k a year at Leeds.

Probably suits both parties then.

Question is whether SRD can find Croft Mk II.

2 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

You understand correctly. That money is part of the ongoing CBS business plan, which as you state is for operations and the mechanism to apply for additional development funds. 

It is not for the wages of players. As someone very familiar with community owned projects, including FC United, i realized that back then and I expect, if not urge the club to have annual fund raisers.

(If club A needs money then normally the management asks the owner. Salford now has hundreds, so its fair enough to look to us.again.)

Nae surely not?

What’s wrong with Spider-Man underwear?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

I always assumed Salford would be built on a player trading model, as is common in football.

Get players in, develop them and then get a fee to reinvest. Handing out long deals was a sign of that.

Seems completely reasonable to me for a club with their resources and at this stage of their development.  

Not sure that really translates to Rugby League that well to be honest. Sure you may get lucky for a while but £300k is a huge fee for the sport and you aren't going to get too many like that. With Salford often struggling financially its certainly not a model you can depend upon and in RL there will be some years when you get nothing. With a SL cap in place and the need for a competitive team something would have to give at some point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Nae surely not?

Kids? Rugby League? On here?

Love the optimism(?) of the Salford fans.

Keep on keepin' on. 

• Thanks 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.