Young Player of the Year Award Nominee’s

OMEGA

Is the short list limited to three by policy or something? Having Lewis Murphy on the shortlist would be good even if he were not favourite to win.   As OMEGA says, he has been very good this year and even being on the shortlist would be well deserved recognition. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Mikey Lewis

Morgan Gannon

Jack Welsby

Ive no problem with any of them but where’s Lewis Murphy?

19 Try’s in 21 games during his debut season, many of them absolutely spectacular. He’s also shown some great defence too pulling off try saving tackles in a number of matches

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/62802943

Gotta agree about Murphy, thought he'd be in there instead of Lewis, who I don't think has had anywhere near as good a year as he had in 2021.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

7 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Mikey Lewis

Morgan Gannon

Jack Welsby

Ive no problem with any of them but where’s Lewis Murphy?

19 Try’s in 21 games during his debut season, many of them absolutely spectacular. He’s also shown some great defence too pulling off try saving tackles in a number of matches

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/62802943

How old do you have to be to qualify for YPOTR?

Can't argue with Murphy being added to that list as well based on his record this season. Gannon at only 18 looks a fantastic prospect.

It's great to see genuine talent come through at a young age and not look out of place in SL. From a Salford fan point of view I'm expecting massive things from Tyler Dupree next year. He's been brilliant since we signed him from Widnes in May and I'm surprised he's been overlooked for the Knights squad as I can see him being on the fringes of the full England squad in the next 18-24 months if he keeps progressing as he has been doing.

• Like 1

Morgan Gannon will be eligible for this award for the next 2 years as well.  That's quite something for a kid playing in the pack.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It feels like there should be a young player of the year and some sort of rookie award sometimes. Welsby is clearly a fantastic player and rightfully will win the award but he’s pretty experienced now. I’d love to see some recognition for a rookie, say a criteria of them having played less than 10 or 20 first team games going in to the season. Guys like Morgan Gannon, Lewis Murphy and Brad O’Neill would all be in the running. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

A longer list would suggest we have more great young talent to celebrate also!

Absolutely.  There is no downside. 

• Like 1

Like everyone else, I think that Murphy should have had some recognition here. At the end of the day, Welsby is one of the best players in the comp, never mind young players, so maybe some sort of limit on games played, so that it's almost a 'rookie of the year' award would be of more value. Then we could have complained about Murphy not winning it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Surely youngjackwalker and youngjohnbennison should have been up there with youngjackwelsby?

It is probably a year too soon for Young Jack Walker.  I have him as favourite next year after a few more games under his belt.