Wakefield's new coach

Fevrover

On 15/09/2022 at 11:22, The Blues Ox said:

What am I missing with this new stand? How come Wakey are suddenly going to be cash rich when its finished?

My god, is it compulsory to be foolish.

When you have a ground without a single modern feature making money is difficult whist attracting players even more so.

You replace that with a superb 2,700 seater  stand with bars, restaurant, conference rooms, hospitality and player facilities then things have to improve, its patently obvious. Nobody other than you ever said it would make us cash rich, but the revenue streams it creates will make us a lot more competitive on all fronts. What part of that don't you get?

47 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

My god, is it compulsory to be foolish.

When you have a ground without a single modern feature making money is difficult whist attracting players even more so.

You replace that with a superb 2,700 seater  stand with bars, restaurant, conference rooms, hospitality and player facilities then things have to improve, its patently obvious. Nobody other than you ever said it would make us cash rich, but the revenue streams it creates will make us a lot more competitive on all fronts. What part of that don't you get?

Well according to some the new stand was going to make Wakefield one of the most attractive propositions in the league hence my question. Im glad all these years after framing the future that Wakey are finally doing something with the ground. 

44 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Well according to some the new stand was going to make Wakefield one of the most attractive propositions in the league hence my question. Im glad all these years after framing the future that Wakey are finally doing something with the ground. 

the old pub (now shut down) across the road "out of town" used to make Wakefield one of the most attractive propositions in the league - some very attractive girls performing there before every Sunday home game - and not on the karaoke!

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 15/09/2022 at 11:22, The Blues Ox said:

What am I missing with this new stand? How come Wakey are suddenly going to be cash rich when its finished?

they will have a good 7 day a week hospitality area they can hire out at good rates on none rugby days. also of course they will be able to offer corporate hospitality at higher rates on match days. both a good reasons to expect to make more money.

the Wakefield area having a number of large companies within its area and with not many good places for larger scale conferencing etc i would expect it to be quite busy 

Edited by paul hicks
  • Like 2

Let's not forget the new hybrid pitch which will also offer further revenue streams . 

But lets not get carried away though it's only a partial upgrade and there will be sections of the ground far from perfect. Nevertheless wakey will be in a far better position than all those clubs who are only Tennant's in fancy soccer stadiums

45 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Let's not forget the new hybrid pitch which will also offer further revenue streams . 

But lets not get carried away though it's only a partial upgrade and there will be sections of the ground far from perfect. Nevertheless wakey will be in a far better position than all those clubs who are only Tennant's in fancy soccer stadiums

The new floodlights, already installed, and the permanent big screen will be a welcome addition to the appeal of the place.  Might even tick a couple of extra boxes come any imminent licensing exercise.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

3 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

The new floodlights, already installed, and the permanent big screen will be a welcome addition to the appeal of the place.  Might even tick a couple of extra boxes come any imminent licensing exercise.

Add to that the refurbishment of a new 2 floor gym and community cafe in the southwest building. This will be a welcome improvement in facilities for the club to use.

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes I am for real , money and infrastructure is more important than the coach. Wigan were focussed on a different brand of rugby, noone was expecting them to be as good this year and he wasnt under pressure to do so. Wakefield still have no money or infrastructure to generate it. In two seasons they can. 

Pretty impressive for Leeds to have changed their money and infrastructure mid-season so effectively.

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But if Leeds didnt have the money and infrastructure would anyone have been interested in that job. They were also spending the cap this season. If money and infrastructure arent the determining factors why are we seeing the same teams at the top again and again? 

I hope Salford win to shock us but the reason people want to see them win is it is so rare to see an underfunded team get in. 

Money salary cap spend and the infrastructure to bring through and retain talent are the main factors. Its not the romantic story but with only 4 ever SL GF winners that is the cold reality. 

I hope wakey can get up to cap and give their fans hope they can compete in the years to come.

Where else would Mark Applegarth get a shot at a decent head coach job? He's done his time and seemingly done well, so why not give him a go? We're always moaning about lack of opportunity for British coaches and here you are moaning, likely because you're still upset Toulouse got relegated and not Wakey. Mark Applegarth was a good player let's not forget and had a decent run in SL, it's not like he was dragged off the streets. Your assertion that he and Peet are not comparable as coaches is ridiculous. They are both young unproven head coaches dealing with their situation, I'd say MP was under a lot more pressure having not played at a high level, coaching a massive club with expectations of winning things. If MA keeps Wakey up he'll have done a good job and the fans etc will acknowledge that.

Did you think Silvain Houles was a cheap appointment by the way?

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

33 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Great way to change the subject and show you cant argue the points. They aren’t comparable for the reasons I stated and you didn’t respond to.

MA is under far more pressure than MP was under this season because Wigan weren’t placing expectations on MP to win silverware this season but he still had a budget to compete alongside top class infrastructure. I would say Peat has raised expectations for himself now.

Meanwhile MA will have to keep a team in SL with the lowest budget in the league, several of his best players going and even if he pulls that off, he has just seen a guy get the sack for performing on budget.

If he keeps Wakey up he should be COTY. 

Silvain Houles has come through the leagues with Toulouse. If Silvain Houles was sacked and they got in a guy with his lack of experience in upper echelons of game you would have a point. They havent though, so you don’t. 

Plus there would be a queue of people lining up to get that job. Unlike Wakefield atm.

So you agree, Applegarth is under less pressure than Peet because he has less expectations. thanks. 

Do you really think Wigan would have given Matt Peet time if Wigan finished bottom half? He is clearly under more pressure because he has less 'credentials' and it is a bigger club with higher expectations. It's mind boggling you can't see that.

3736-mipm.gif

8 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No you cant read. I said Peet has raised expectations of himself. Yes I do think that Peet would’ve been given time. You seem incapable of reading that Wigan are expected to finish higher but have the financial resources to make that happen. The Wakefield coach is expected to stay up despite having the lowest budget in the league.

The level of expectations and pressure on Poaching this year were higher than Wigan and I expect next year to be just as unrealistic from the Wakefield board and fanbase when you are bottom after 13 games.

I am assuming we still have relegation of course. If not, then Wakefield can do whatever they want knowing the year is meaningless.

Reading this drivel makes me wish I couldn’t read. As if a coach who has never played professionally in charge of the biggest club in the UK is under less pressure than a former wakey player who’s worked his way through the coaching ranks and is expected to finish 11th out of 12. 

If you put your biases to one side you’ll see that Applegarth is a decent, if not ambitious, choice and it’s a good opportunity for a promising young British coach. 

• Like 2

3736-mipm.gif

On 16/09/2022 at 15:44, The Blues Ox said:

It wasn’t a Wakey fan who said it would make us one of the most attractive, but being honest it will make them more attractive, not hard i realise!

7 hours ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

It wasn’t a Wakey fan who said it would make us one of the most attractive, but being honest it will make them more attractive, not hard i realise!

It was why I asked a honest question because I thought I were genuinley missing something so was a little bit surprised by the frosty response I got. 🤣

• Like 1