IMG - Vote on Wednesday

gingerjon

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think it is sensible that geography comes into play, but that works as a positive and a negative depending on the circumstances. I don't think it is something we need to be afraid of.

But what we have seen is that a ) they have tried to reaffirm that this is the British league (it is the RFL's pyramid and partnership with IMG - not Canada's or France) - if we want to expand, it has to be of benefit to the British league/game. and b ) that historically, we have always had space for clubs from a tight geographical area, so there is no reason to think this is an area of major concern. 

I think it is fair that if in future we have two equal strength clubs, say, Featherstone and Birmingham, where both are performing identically - that the kicker would be that Birmingham's geographical position. I don't think that is controversial. The controversy comes when clubs are elevated above their level due to one factor and other areas are ignored.

For example, one or two posters here would choose the likes of London and Newcastle in their current form over some other clubs, which would be crazy tbh. Hopefully this structure would tell Newcastle and London that they need to be stronger clubs before they come in. Rather than London or Batley getting a bit of a leftfield victory and finding themselves in the top tier out of the blue.

Sadly Midlands will be round an athletics track which is a crowd killer when it comes to attracting people. Would be fantastic if there had been even a small stadium in Brum though.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

League 1 clubs get barely any funding now, I'm not sure that is their biggest concern.

It seems the lopsided nature of money in the Championship over the past 8 years or so may have tipped many clubs into seeing this as the best viable solution.

I'm sure it's their first and only concern!!!!!! However, if the real intent is to facilitate clubs growing and developing up the categories, you would obviously assume a more equitable distribution of central funds. 🤥  

4 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

I'm sure it's their first and only concern!!!!!! However, if the real intent is to facilitate clubs growing and developing up the categories, you would obviously assume a more equitable distribution of central funds. 🤥  

Presumably the aim of this project is to grow the amount of money in the game, so it should benefit plenty across the board. The only way is up for League 1 considering the two-thirds drop they have seen in recent years.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If all the English SL clubs 10 + Fev + 2 London clubs + 2 French totalling 15 from 37 will that be enough to pass it?

Just curios?

H  from an article in SEP 18  for  last SL structure vote

votes to be cast by Rugby Football League members. Each entity will be asked whether they want to approve the aforementioned proposals. Super League clubs each get a vote and their say counts as two votes each . to equate to the same number of votes the total  Championship and League 1 clubs get.The final seven votes come from the community game which is made up of BARLA, Adult leagues, Armed Forces RL, Schools Rugby League, Conference Leagues, University and College RL and the Youth and Junior Leagues. Also  Catans and TO are not  full members so dont get a vote

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If all the English SL clubs 10 + Fev + 2 London clubs + 2 French totalling 15 from 37 will that be enough to pass it?

Just curios?

Edit, just seen York mentioned so 16/37 For.

It has been reported on LoveRugbyLeague.com that Bradford have publicly backed the proposals so that makes 17.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just curios?

Edit, just seen York mentioned so 16/37 For.

I'm fairly certain the French clubs won't have a say and this is firmly a like it or lump it scenario. 

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, I imagine Leigh probably are too, certainly if York and Featherstone are. Halifax, Bradford, Widnes and Barrow likely to be on board as well, I reckon. 

Has any club even so much has hinted anything other than happiness?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, I imagine Leigh probably are too, certainly if York and Featherstone are. Halifax, Bradford, Widnes and Barrow likely to be on board as well, I reckon. 

Yep, and I expect Mr Beaumont to go all out to finish above bottom place in SL next year, just as he would if we just carried on with P&R, but will that be enough to secure a SL position?

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Has any club even so much has hinted anything other than happiness?

I think there is a lot in this for so many of those larger historic clubs, the Halifax and Widnes of this world. They play in SL standard grounds as is and if they can get their act together, and/or a backer, they probably have an easier route to SL. It should be more appealing for investors too with a set path to follow. Whether RL can attract those investors is another matter.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

So what's your "lump it mean"

If IMG's proposals are rejected I expect they will walk away, so we stay as we are.

You are talking about the French clubs having a say. They dont, they will either have to accept what is proposed or they will be out.

If we had the proposed system in place today, what would next season's Super League look like? Leigh in/TO out? No change at all? Featherstone in/Salford out? Leigh and Featherstone in/Wakefield and TO out?

It isn't completely clear to me when the B clubs will receive their coefficient that ranks them for the following season (t1) - will it be at the start of season t0 or at the end of season t0? Presumably at the end of season t0. Right now, we'd be eagerly waiting on IMG and the RFL to publish a list of coefficients for B clubs. To be honest, I'd prefer to watch a Championship Grand Final!

• Like 1