NRL Grand Final.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread but I really don't like the spidercam. 

Each set with the spidercam I find disorientating and difficult to follow, I much prefer the normal side on shot.

100%

I also find myself strangely distracted by NRL touchies running on the pitch. Theyve got their white boots and everything . It just looks odd and i dont know what theyre doing they cant do on the touchline . I often wish a winger would run back really quickly or theres a rapid blindside move just to catch them out . The guy with the beard today was really going for it

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Outlaw all that in the tackle, because if that`s how you win competitions, then wake me up when it`s over. Because eventually they will outlaw it, because that stuff isn`t going to attract and keep new fans. Even the idiot Johns had a bit of a dig on the FTA coverage tonight about Penrith`s defensive tactics, and that`s saying something.

Maybe the NRL will change a few things lafter this ike they did back in 1967.

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

We have reached a point where the ball carrier tries to get to the ground and the tacklers tries to keep him up.

11 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Outlaw all that in the tackle, because if that`s how you win competitions, then wake me up when it`s over. Because eventually they will outlaw it, because that stuff isn`t going to attract and keep new fans. 

There is another way to prevent ball-carriers being held up after running headlong into 3-player tackles - high quality attacking play. Which can take various forms and should "attract and keep new fans" better than misguided rule changes.

Just stop using the knock-on and obstruction rules to clobber teams who take risks and play more expansively. Stop fixating on bobbles or players running behind a teammate.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread but I really don't like the spidercam. 

Each set with the spidercam I find disorientating and difficult to follow, I much prefer the normal side on shot.

There was a big call in the first half of "Played at" which gave Penrith a repeat set when Parra were desperately hanging on.

No idea whether the call was correct since the view on Spidercam was too distant and the incident was never replayed.

That habit of failing to show significant moments again while lingering over insignificant moments is routine in RL TV coverage. It only happens in Soccer or RU when the director is French. Commentators in those sports then have to keep apologizing to viewers who aren`t seeing pertinent replays. RL commentators don`t even notice.

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Apparently tv figures lowest in NRL history. 

I'm sure the Australian media will react to this in a calm and considered manner.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I'm sure the Australian media will react to this in a calm and considered manner.

From what I read, the previous lowest was 2019. AFL was low this year too. 

When games are not close it appears to massively affect numbers In Oz

• Like 1

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There was a big call in the first half of "Played at" which gave Penrith a repeat set when Parra were desperately hanging on.

No idea whether the call was correct since the view on Spidercam was too distant and the incident was never replayed.

That habit of failing to show significant moments again while lingering over insignificant moments is routine in RL TV coverage. It only happens in Soccer or RU when the director is French. Commentators in those sports then have to keep apologizing to viewers who aren`t seeing pertinent replays. RL commentators don`t even notice.

It's something I really struggle with on Aussie coverage. They often completely ignore certain incidents, and many things have zero replays. Sometimes genuine 50/50 incidents pass without comment or replay. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I get that some may tune out if it isn't a close game.  Personally I watch a game through 99.9% of the time.

But, I read an article about this after your post this morning. 

It said the Cowboys Wests one was the highest rated as it was a 'classic'.  But how do you know it was a classic till the game has actually taken place?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It was the lowest for the 5 city metro area - Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. For some reason, the rest of Aus has its own ratings system, and when you add that to the metro ratings, plus the streaming figures (which are going up every year) and it does beat 2019, albeit not by much. And even then, the figures for the 5 city metro area only go back to 2001 as they had a different system prior to that.

The womens tennis final in Melbourne at the start of the year looks like being the most watched programme of the year.

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I get that some may tune out if it isn't a close game.  Personally I watch a game through 99.9% of the time.

It said the Cowboys Wests one was the highest rated as it was a 'classic'.  But how do you know it was a classic till the game has actually taken place?

I completely zoned out in the second half after the ridiculous VR call gave Panthers a try, that was pretty much game over. 

30 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The viewing figures are measured in multiple short time periods. If people begin to switch off as the match proceeds, this decline in numbers is logged as part of the eventual announced figure.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

It was the lowest for the 5 city metro area - Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. For some reason, the rest of Aus has its own ratings system, and when you add that to the metro ratings, plus the streaming figures (which are going up every year) and it does beat 2019, albeit not by much. And even then, the figures for the 5 city metro area only go back to 2001 as they had a different system prior to that.

The womens tennis final in Melbourne at the start of the year looks like being the most watched programme of the year.

Yeah, I think the early numbers were based on metro only. 

I believe all 3 origins beat the Grand Final. 

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The viewing figures are measured in multiple short time periods. If people begin to switch off as the match proceeds, this decline in numbers is logged as part of the eventual announced figure.

Yes, I believe it may be 5 minute bursts, but I'm not too sure of the methodology as different ones are used. 

I suppose it illustrates that there is a hardcore, say 2m who will watch, and floating viewers could as much as double it. Presumably people flicking through channels and seeing a tight game and hanging around for the end. It's something I've done many times for sporting events, so it makes sense. 

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

As I said, I understand that people may switch off if the game is poor / a blowout.

What I find strange is that it appears people only switch on if it is a good game (that was the inference in the article that the Cowboys Wests game got a high number because it was a classic).

Are people really not watching until they see it is a good game.  And how do they know it is a good game if they are not watching?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's something I really struggle with on Aussie coverage. They often completely ignore certain incidents, and many things have zero replays. Sometimes genuine 50/50 incidents pass without comment or replay. 

They do that in this country with the exception of any incident where a Saints player may be the guilty party and then it is investigated and examined to the nth degree by Pies ports

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

As I said, I understand that people may switch off if the game is poor / a blowout.

What I find strange is that it appears people only switch on if it is a good game (that was the inference in the article that the Cowboys Wests game got a high number because it was a classic).

Are people really not watching until they see it is a good game.  And how do they know it is a good game if they are not watching?

Because fewer people switch off/over as the game goes on. The announced viewing figure for yesterday is not the peak (which would have been early on), but the average.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The media has a lot to answer for, it started with the Storm they can only promote the game in cliches. They basically bash every team in the press barring the roosters and the only coach they like is Ricky Stuart. 

It's a self fulfilling prophecy Penrith should have been a feel good story but they basically hated them from the start for fairly obvious reasons. 

They promoted the game with 2-3 days of talking about the trainer of Penrith who may have said something. 

Basically they hate and bash every team barring one. 

Penrith have shown other clubs how to break the Melbourne and Roosters dominance. Only the Cowboys have followed so far but teams like Newcastle, St George, Wests, Parramatta, Brisbane, Canberra, Gold Coast, Warriors could easily follow the Penrith model of success. 

I remember they used to praise Brisbane, Canberra and Manly for just being great teams. We didn't need all the rubbish surrounding it. Now it's all, this team is cheating wahh except the Roosters who have never been over the cap. 

It's ###### there are no feel good stories it's basically this really good team is evil here is why you need to hate them.

It's like the people following the game actually hate it.

2 minutes ago, anjado said:

The media has a lot to answer for, it started with the Storm they can only promote the game in cliches. They basically bash every team in the press barring the roosters and the only coach they like is Ricky Stuart. 

It's a self fulfilling prophecy Penrith should have been a feel good story but they basically hated them from the start for fairly obvious reasons. 

They promoted the game with 2-3 days of talking about the trainer of Penrith who may have said something. 

Basically they hate and bash every team barring one. 

Penrith have shown other clubs how to break the Melbourne and Roosters dominance. Only the Cowboys have followed so far but teams like Newcastle, St George, Wests, Parramatta, Brisbane, Canberra, Gold Coast, Warriors could easily follow the Penrith model of success. 

I remember they used to praise Brisbane, Canberra and Manly for just being great teams. We didn't need all the rubbish surrounding it. Now it's all, this team is cheating wahh except the Roosters who have never been over the cap. 

It's ###### there are no feel good stories it's basically this really good team is evil here is why you need to hate them.

It's like the people following the game actually hate it.

Penrith are very easy to not like on a personal level mind.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

42 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Penrith are very easy to not like on a personal level mind.

Fair enough, but the media were taking the ###### out of our 5 year plan before 2020. Now that this plan has come to fruition they hate to be made to look like fools.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Just the same over here. Only made more egregious in a country where RL has a far higher profile.

TV director incompetence has a considerable influence on the pressure officials are put under and thus the way they apply the rules. That in turn deleteriously affects how the game is played.

Commentary teams are continually calling forward passes, knock-ons, obstructions etc, determined to cast doubt on what viewers are seeing. Eight games a week, week after week, year after year, relentlessly undermining faith in the game. All the more pernicious when many of them are no better informed than someone randomly plucked from the crowd.

Sometimes a replay will force a retraction. Without a replay they can smugly bluster on with their incestuous blundering banter. Audiences are given a false impression of ongoing ineptitude from officials.

At least in Soccer apposite use of replays keeps a check on ignorance and rash reactions. Commentators have no choice but to eat their words when a replay proves them wrong. Ensures a bit of humility. The only serious Soccer commentator who steadfastly didn`t allow facts to subsequently intrude on his summary verdicts was Alan Green on the radio.

There are never any post-match reviews of commentator performances. During his Monday morning Football briefing Graham Annesley doesn`t go through all the errors of pundits over the weekend. Unlikely he`d be allowed to with the NRL de facto owned and controlled by media corporations. An appearance on Fox League by Peter Vlandys comes across like an interview on Russia Today with Vladimir Putin.

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

To be honest with you, I am OK with this.

I love to see the commentary team to just get on with the game and not forensically go back to previous plays to find fault with a play or the referee's decision.