RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If you look at the ticket website Tonga v PNG hasn’t sold very well, as availability is still medium. I’m surprised, thought that was one of the most attractive group games.  

Samoa v France at Warrington and Fiji v Scotland in Newcastle are both low availability though so hopefully will be better attended than yesterday’s games. 

I believe yesterday's game was badged as low availability. I think we can safely ignore the website. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Within 5 miles from Warrington?

But yes I know what you mean, Leigh had the one game in '13 and 11,000 for Tonga (who were not the draw card of today) v Cook Islands, 3 games this time round is a bit much, albeit Ireland v Lebanon next Sunday should wet the appetite after this weekend's games.

I live in Newton le Willows, and it's 7.2m to the DW which is furthest from me. Within 20m I am spoilt for choice. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Cheap is a distraction. That differs to all of us. 

But 10k empty seats tell us scheduling and pricing is wrong. 

We can directly compare 2013 to now and the main changes are multiple games and far, far higher pricing. Much of the other stuff (promotion and organisation) has been far better than 9 years ago. 

We got 2013 right just like the Womens Euros got it right. There is nothing wrong with being an affordable sport there is a market for it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RLX111 said:

i think a lot of people were refunded a lot of money and have not rebooked yet!

I had originally organised a coach trip to the Jamaica v Ireland game, side on tickets were £25 and i had a full trip booked up, this year when i tried to do it again the tickets were £35 and i had only 6 names down from the originall 50 i had booked, if that is the case for all groups then it's not surprising crowds are low.

Although everyone of the 6,000 at Headingley yesterday looked like they all enjoyed themselves.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If you look at the ticket website Tonga v PNG hasn’t sold very well, as availability is still medium. I’m surprised, thought that was one of the most attractive group games.  

Samoa v France at Warrington and Fiji v Scotland in Newcastle are both low availability though so hopefully will be better attended than yesterday’s games. 

For some reason, RL fans seem to be only interested in watching England and Australia. We definitely need to promote NZ, Tonga, PNG, Fiji etc more as the exciting teams they are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I would love to have been in that meeting with the people who set prices, because I'm not sure what they were smoking. Any sober or sane individual would have laughed at thier proposals. Just like we did on here.

Trying to ignore market forces was ridiculous. 

Like I said on another thread. Kia don't just raise thier prices to match ferrari because they both have four wheels and an engine.

IMO they have made three errors that all compound each other. 

1. Too many games in one ground asks a lot of the same populations. 

2. High prices. Far higher than anything we have ever seen for games like this. 

3. Refusal to discount. The principle is sound, but here we are with empty grounds. I don't understand why we didn't relaunch the early bird once the tournament was delayed. And I don't understand why there aren't family packages and multi-buy for venues as standard. 

These things all link with each other and have created a bit of a perfect storm. 

I'm hopeful some games will do well still, and that the games yesterday were a reflection of the high choice of games, but Wire and Leeds can't bumble along at 6k.

Tomorrow at Saints will be a huge test. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Concerning that the NZ match has had the lowest crowd so far. In previous tournaments, we could often rely on the Kiwis to draw 5 figure crowds. 

Maybe the people of that area are saving themselves for one of the other 25* games that are taking place on their doorstep instead?

*= exaggerated.

• Like 1

It's not just ticket prices, rail travel is extortionate and makes it impossible for fans to travel around for games etc. That way you're relying on local support, like in Newcastle, but too many games on the M62, means the majority of RL fans will only pick one or two. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Tbf the community clubs of Warrington were out in force tonight. Good job really (although we did choose to shift seats to a quieter area in the second half)

One benefit of the poor crowd tonight was that I was home within half an hour of the hooter! Not sure I’ll be quite so early coming back from Donny tomorrow. 

Can tickets for the games at the LSV be purchased from the ticket office at the ground?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

If anyone is unsure how bad last nights crowd was. 

If we look at 2013, it would have been higher than only 2 fixtures. A game in Neath, and one in Limerick. 

This was an out and out disaster. 

Tonight’s will be considerably lower too. 

34 minutes ago, Black Country Wire said:

France v Greece was certainly originally down to be a Monday afternoon game as it would have been half term week but moving the tournament forward a week to avoid overlapping with the football World Cup scuppered that idea.

Yes, I remember that now. 👍

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If we look at 2013, it would have been higher than only 2 fixtures. A game in Neath, and one in Limerick. 

If that had been in (bizarrely ignored for this WC) Cumbria I’m sure the crowd would have been bigger. 

• Like 2

Just now, Eddie said:

If that had been in (bizarrely ignored for this WC) Cumbria I’m sure the crowd would have been bigger. 

Cumbria was originally selected, but when the stadium fell through again their games were sent to Newcastle. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I should add, Warrington was one of the towns that couldn't be accused of complacency. 

There has been a lot of activity around town, there is a fanzone, they held an event to welcome PNG the other night and there was a lot going on over the weekend. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Cumbria was originally selected, but when the stadium fell through again their games were sent to Newcastle. 

What was the thinking behind Doncaster as a venue?

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Buy on the day? Yes. Ticket office will be open from 9am until half an hour after kick off. As will the online sales, so you can simply buy in the pub, have an extra pint and go straight to the turnstiles. 

Hadn't got this far in the thread when I posted my message, thanks Matt.

But Gubrats and @Wolford6on another thread both said they had phoned the office and were told that tickets were not for sale at the ground?