Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I'd happily use that Leigh badge design on an own label wine bottle, would look rather nice IMHO.

Really?

I'm a brand owner in the food and drinks industry and if that was shown to me (or similar standard) I'd kick the person and company out!!

What wine would have that on it Leopards P*** Sauvignon Blanc?

We launched a new brand about 5 years ago that has been successful and nothing they showed me even as rough rough drafts  were that bloody awfully put together. 

Edited by RP London
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The people you describe in your 2nd para appear to have made the badge for Leigh Leopards (that felt weird typing!)

Weird typing that someone had made it? Yeah I get that.. 

Just now, Damien said:

I have to say I've not laughed as much as I have done on this thread for a long time. In 20 odd years of TotalRL its simply the best thread yet.

Christ.

It's a low bar, innit?

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Honor James said:

Not fifteen minutes ago, I finished reading an actual, 'dyed-in-the-paper' copy of the introductory, Leigh Leopards brochure, and to me it looks great; high-quality item, and the new name (Leopards replacing Centurions) great.

More modern for a start.  Centurions are ancient history.  How many people nowadays would automatically think, "Centurions - really snappy name!" 

Whereas sports clubs using the names of fast, fierce or fascinating animals abound.

🙂

I see some people laughed at my remark (quoted above).  He he! 

As for the Leopards, only time will tell but at times it can be useful to remember the old saying: "He who laughs last, laughs longest".

Leopards in Africa {for example), for those who don't already know this, can surprise the unwary by slipping silently down from a tree branch above, as you walk past.

A circumstance which, if it comes your way, can quickly and very well illustrate the saying, "He who laughs last laughs longest

🥳  Happy 2022-2023 season to you all.

Edited by Honor James
  • Like 3

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

22 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I think we need to have ourselves a little graphic design-off.

Everyone put in your best effort for the League Express branding, but do be aware that Martyn will be judging so please carry that in your thoughts.

That'll fill a few pages.

Just now, Honor James said:

As for the Leopards, only time will tell but at times it can be useful to remember the old saying: "He who laughs last, laughs longest".

Leopards in Africa {for example), for those who don't already know this, can surprise the unwary by slipping silently down from a tree branch above, as you walk past.

A circumstance which, if it comes your way, can quickly and very well illustrate the saying, "He who laughs last laughs longest

Have you been testing some of that wine with the leopard labels on them?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Honor James said:

The choice of a Leopard to represent what you want people to associate with your sports club is not a bad choice.

Its the execution and communications of the rebrand that is the problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

I have to say I've not laughed as much as I have done on this thread for a long time. In 20 odd years of TotalRL its simply the best thread yet.

I mean the mobyclaw vs clawphin (where were all the graphic designers then?!?) was great but this is better because its **>#ing real!!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Honor James said:

Again... no one has a major issue with them being the leopards... its the shocking design aspects and execution that people are laughing at.. and they're laughing at you posy because you can't see that, even when it is pointed out to you... 

But hey ho.. 

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

The choice of a Leopard to represent what you want people to associate with your sports club is not a bad choice.

Its the execution and communications of the rebrand that is the problem.

Oh?  Who, what and how should have been executed and communicated?  It all sounds rather worse than seeing a leopard in a tree.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

Help! Now they are being executed and laughed at into the bargain!.

Seems a little excessive to me but what do I know. 🙃 

Derek going for a rebrand and i can't see a problem. Better to have tried and failed and never tried at all. Derek is a successful business man so he doesn't get much wrong and only time will tell on this, but I'm sure he will have something else up his sleeve if its not a success

This thread is fantastic and has actually caused me to sign in and join in for once.

I don't believe that logo is nice at all. 

It's disappointing to think a fair wedge of his money was spent on something that could have been knocked up in an hour.

I am a designer too and as I work in the alcohol industry, that logo shouldn't be anywhere near a wine bottle! Although maybe it was and that's where this whole mess started.

Purely my views on the thing -

As pleasant as the typeface is, the kerning doesn't allow the letters to flow (I>G and R>D for example) and the over-sided 'L' in Leopard seems at odds with the lazy, overly-symmetrical Leopard image. The spots of the animal don't fit with the print that is on the shirt and the presentation. So far, so very inconsistent.

I could have accepted an over-sized 'S' to compensate for the L - but i'll admit, that is taste.

The word Leigh is slightly off-centre and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. The end of the word is aligned to the bowl of the stylised 'R', highlighting the unevenness.

I also think the faded red around the eyes, even the red itself, is a problem as it'll be an issue to replicate the Leopard in a single-colour vector (as is the fashion at the moment) or monochrome and seems to be a last-minute nod to their traditional colours, maybe once they realised there wasn't any visible.

The Leopard is devoid of character or life and the whole thing looks limp.

I am happy to die on this hill.

Edited by JDM
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just now, lucky 7 said:

Derek going for a rebrand and i can't see a problem. Better to have tried and failed and never tried at all. Derek is a successful business man so he doesn't get much wrong and only time will tell on this, but I'm sure he will have something else up his sleeve if its not a success

Succesful Businessmen get things wrong all the time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDM said:

This thread is fantastic and has actually caused me to sign in and join in for once.

It's disappointing to think a fair wedge of his money was spent on something that could have been knocked up in an hour.

I am a designer too and as I work in the alcohol industry, that logo shouldn't be anywhere near a wine bottle! Although maybe it was and that's where this whole mess started.

As pleasant as the typeface is, the kerning doesn't allow the letters to flow (I>G and R>D for example) and the over-sided 'L' in Leopard seems at odds with the lazy, overly-symmetrical Leopard image. The spots of the animal don't fit with the print that is on the shirt and the presentation. So far, so not very inconsistent.

I could have accepted an over-sized 'S' to compensate for the L - but i'll admit, that is taste.

The word Leigh is slightly off-centre and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. The end of the word is aligned to the bowl of the stylised 'R', highlighting the unevenness.

I also think the faded red around the eyes, even the red itself, is a problem as it'll be an issue to replicate the Leopard in a single-colour vector (as is the fashion at the moment) or monochrome and seems to be a last-minute nod to their traditional colours, maybe once they realised there wasn't any visible.

Good analysis, i disagree on the font being pleasant though, that is also poor, it’s old fashioned and not fit for purpose and as you rightly point out the kerning makes my teeth itch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JDM said:

As pleasant as the typeface is, the kerning doesn't allow the letters to flow (I>G and R>D for example) and the over-sided 'L' in Leopard seems at odds with the lazy, overly-symmetrical Leopard image. The spots of the animal don't fit with the print that is on the shirt and the presentation. So far, so not very inconsistent.

Interesting and informative post as I feel like I’m one of the few non graphic designers on here! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1