Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

2 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Rarely i would say.

You don't have all the money he has by getting things wrong

Yes you do... you just have to make sure when you do get it right it is in a bigger way than when you get it wrong..  but you may still get it wrong more times than you get it right 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Interesting and informative post as I feel like I’m one of the few non graphic designers on here! 😉

I'm not one either.. it was a good Interesting post on the intricacies of it.. I just think it looks weak and amateurish, its nice to know the reasons it looks like that.

• Like 1

Here is a proposed rebrand of League Express.

sadlergazette.jpg

Inspired by many Super League clubs adopting wild animals for their names, League Express becomes ‘The Sadler Gazette’.

·         The logo also follows recent trends in adopting within it a large, yet still subtle and appealing, visual of our namesake.

·         As a nod to the League Express’s rich history - and acknowledging fans’ preferences - the newspaper’s traditional colours of not-quite red and dirty gold are retained.

·         Our new mascots “Lelly” and “Elly” also subtly reference the old name, acknowledging all that has gone before whilst presenting a bold, modern and fresh identity.

leagueexpress-mascota.jpg

·         The eagle-eyed might spot the inverted rugby balls in the shape of the mascots’ eyes whilst Lelly’s triangular legs project strength and stability. Elly is anything but a token female, rather being a witty and enthusiastic character that will appeal to fans of all ages.

·         At the same time we are pleased to announce the signings of William Shakespeare, Geoffrey Chaucer, Jane Austin as staff writers and welcome our new columnists Dally Messenger, Harold Wagstaff and Ellery Hanley.

• Haha 17

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is a big difference in making money in a niche area like decking and not getting things wrong elsewhere.

A spectacularly good observation about some business studies practices I came across the other day can be paraphrased as: "Having a talk from a successful entrepreneur is too often equivalent to hearing from a lottery winner how they chose their numbers".

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is a big difference in making money in a niche area like decking and not getting things wrong elsewhere.

In less than a year we will find out if the rebranding has a been a success or otherwise, but like a phoenix rising from the ashes Derek will keep coming back

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Here is a proposed rebrand of League Express.

sadlergazette.jpg

Inspired by many Super League clubs adopting wild animals for their names, League Express becomes ‘The Sadler Gazette’.

·         The logo also follows recent trends in adopting within it a large, yet still subtle and appealing, visual of our namesake.

·         As a nod to the League Express’s rich history - and acknowledging fans’ preferences - the newspaper’s traditional colours of not-quite red and dirty gold are retained.

·         Our new mascots “Lelly” and “Elly” also subtly reference the old name, acknowledging all that has gone before whilst presenting a bold, modern and fresh identity.

leagueexpress-mascota.jpg

·         The eagle-eyed might spot the inverted rugby balls in the shape of the mascots’ eyes whilst Lelly’s triangular legs project strength and stability. Elly is anything but a token female, rather being a witty and enthusiastic character that will appeal to fans of all ages.

·         At the same time we are pleased to announce the signings of William Shakespeare, Geoffrey Chaucer, Jane Austin as staff writers and welcome our new columnists Dally Messenger, Harold Wagstaff and Ellery Hanley.

Want a job?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Yes you do... you just have to make sure when you do get it right it is in a bigger way than when you get it wrong..  but you may still get it wrong more times than you get it right 

In my experience success in business comes down to multiple factors including risk-taking, timing and a bit of luck.

I definitely wouldn’t equate it with impervious judgement although I’ve noticed many who do succeed in business tend to exaggerate their own decision making as primary.

This can then lead to other issues where deferment to the views of actual subject matter experts happens less and less.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

At what point do they cut their losses?

I don’t know Derek Beaumont that well.

Hooefully they will have prepared a fall back contingency position in case of a terrible launch.

Derek will have a plan B and C i suspect

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Rarely i would say.

You don't have all the money he has by getting things wrong

There are dozens of successful billionaires owning US sport franchises that are completely terrible at running a successful sports franchise.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

In less than a year we will find out if the rebranding has a been a success or otherwise, but like a phoenix rising from the ashes Derek will keep coming back

If Leigh are successful on the field and play rugby that fans enjoy irrespective of any new branding one may deem it a successful year = merchandise sales will sell anyway whether to be associated with success on the field or in a sort of a club togetherness against those criticising or in a sort of anti- SL establishment happy to be naff sort of way.  (Not that I think Leigh RL are naff but sometimes a anti type sentiment can get hold and the new shirts could be the symbol.

Nowt to do with the new branding launch or logo/club badge.

Edited by redjonn

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

If Leigh are successful on the field and play rugby that fans enjoy irrespective of any new branding one may deem it a successful year = merchandise sales will sell anyway whether to be associated with success on the field or in a sort of a club togetherness against those criticising or in a sort of anti- SL establishment happy to be naff sort of way.  (Not that I think Leigh RL are naff but sometimes a anti type sentiment can get hold and the new shirts could be the symbol.

Nowt to do with the new branding launch or logo/club badge.

It was mentioned earlier that it's all about Derek getting Leigh RLFC column inches and its worked, as we are now on page 34 of the debate

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Good analysis, i disagree on the font being pleasant though, that is also poor, it’s old fashioned and not fit for purpose and as you rightly point out the kerning makes my teeth itch

What kind of allergic reaction do you have to beginners'-level Photoshop?

It's infuriating that the page titles below don't match the font they've chosen for their logo. I hope for the fans' sake, their team isn't as inconsistent as this half-arsed 'rebrand'

image.jpeg.7c193bd54e6c0bc471b6c25ba4e3b7eb.jpeg

Edited by JDM

I used to be a graphic designer but managed to escape and after 5 years of psychotherapy I live a fairly normal life, other than an urge to draw anuses of African animals.

Edited by dkw
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

The Hull KR rebrand is a very good example of a great rebranding project, it was well thought out and executed brilliantly.

They spent time and money using a good branding agency.

Yes I doubt Degsy wanted to pay Nomad's fees. Hull KR took 2 years, and engaged all different types of stakeholders in the process. They then launched it seamlessly, across all media from physical (including stadium signage) to all digital assets, with a coherent narrative that made sense. It meant that even people who would've preferred no change to change, or might have done something different themselves, at least understood the rationale and could respect the process and outcome.

Leigh have basically got what rebranding projects look like if you buy them on Wish.  

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

12 minutes ago, JDM said:

What kind of allergic reaction do you have to beginners'-level Photoshop?

It's infuriating that the page titles below don't match the font they've chosen for their logo. I hope for the fans' sake, their team isn't as inconsistent as this half-arsed 'rebrand'

image.jpeg.7c193bd54e6c0bc471b6c25ba4e3b7eb.jpeg

Ive just vomited 

2 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

https://www.mccmktg.co.uk/services

Scroll down to Creative Support.

They're "Branding Veterans". And no, they don't mean attacking old people with a hot piece of iron...

"MCCM are branding veterans. Our team have generated creative solutions through graphic, illustration and visual content support for hundreds of partners.

Each project needs a different approach, that is why we practice flexibility; hours and budget, to get the best result."

Their LinkedIn profiles would suggest otherwise

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?