Domestic Media Coverage

20 minutes ago, craig hamilton said:

Does anyone know if the World Cup is getting any column inches / coverage in the respective home countries of the participating nations?

I would be interested to know about Jamaica, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Lebanon.

Jamaica's newspaper of record

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20221023/reggae-warriors-find-joy-new-zealand-defeat

(I'm basing this on a google and a quick wiki)

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

This is by no means an in-depth analysis but driving in the car, on the news bulletins I've only heard reference to the 'Rugby World Cup'....IE the Union Women's version that's running now. This includes yesterday after England had won. Not a sniff on the commercial channels I heard, possibly at other times though? 

There's not gonna be a mention of it on ITV. They're in bed with rugby union.

• Like 2

When I was a lad RL was on every week on the BBC - 4pm Grandstand, the second half of a league match. Granted the commentary played up to northern stereotypes a bit but it got the game noticed all over the country and it had a large following in the southern half of Britain. Now except for a few Challenge Cup games (and this year C4) it is virtually invisible on terrestrial tv. Newspaper coverage has shrunk similarly.

The game isn't going to expand and grow if people can't see it.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

It would seem to be the case. They even had a game on Sunday at the same time as Ire-Leb.

S*le and someone else. 

Was it the England-South Africa game? If it was I saw a clip of it on the BBC news - the SA prop was so fat she could barely move. She had the speed and mobility of a glacier. No wonder they won 70 odd nil!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

There's not gonna be a mention of it on ITV. They're in bed with rugby union.

There's been a decent amount on ITV, in fairness. Certainly our local ITV News here (Tyne Tees) and on the dreadful breakfast show my wife watches. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hw88 said:

When I was a lad RL was on every week on the BBC - 4pm Grandstand, the second half of a league match. Granted the commentary played up to northern stereotypes a bit but it got the game noticed all over the country and it had a large following in the southern half of Britain. Now except for a few Challenge Cup games (and this year C4) it is virtually invisible on terrestrial tv. Newspaper coverage has shrunk similarly.

I don't think not being on TV has stopped the game expanding. As you say the game has been on TV plenty over the years and not substantially grown.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, hw88 said:

Was it the England-South Africa game? If it was I saw a clip of it on the BBC news - the SA prop was so fat she could barely move. She had the speed and mobility of a glacier. No wonder they won 70 odd nil!

Think so and it was just the radio news headlines anyway. I just thought that it seemed a bit unfair to not even mention the RLWC.

Or even not use the 'Union' tag either. 

19 minutes ago, JonM said:

There's been a decent amount on ITV, in fairness. Certainly our local ITV News here (Tyne Tees) and on the dreadful breakfast show my wife watches. 

That's a fair point. I know there's been a mention of it on the breakfast show, there was a post about it the other day.

Outside of England matches they won't be mentioning it though.

4 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Plenty of TV advertising of the current Ladies RU World Cup and the Cricket T20 World Cup but none as far as I can see of TGG World Cup.

Do you mean free advertising or paid for advertising? Because I've definitely seen RLWC adverts on the TV, even during primetime stuff like Coronation Street. 

• Like 2

Radio 4's Today programme, a hotbed of vague and ill-informed RU fandom, has been giving it regular attention. This morning, I switched on the radio at 7am and while the 7:30 sports bulletin was mainly about the T20 and women's RUWC, the 8:30 bulletin had the Rugby League content, including an interview with Dave Woods about the tournament so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Do not watch Corry or stuff like that, plenty of ads on Sky arts for the sports I mentioned.

Sky don’t tend to showcase anything that they don’t show themselves. As RLWC is not on sky, they don’t focus on it 

• Thanks 1

I had a quick look at Jamaican media (via Google) the day after the NZ game and try. The game did get covered. I guess it is hard in country's like Greece where RL has a (very) low profile. From that level its going to be hard to get any interest, but looking at the video of the Greek RL fans in the bar in Athens shows there will be positives regardless of media interest. Lebanon is interesting. I have no idea if it was covered in the country and I do wonder the impact on ex-pat communities looking at the Lebanese fans at Leigh. Has there been any marketing to ex-pats? I remember when Toronto came to New River and the game had been marketed to Canadians in London. A thousand of them turned up!

16 hours ago, hw88 said:

I was looking through old newspapers a while ago and happened upon a Sunday Telegraph from the mid-90s. There was a big picture of Paul Newlove on the front of their broadsheet sports supplement. That sort of thing simply wouldn't happen now, nearly 30 years on.