Electric Cars

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

If you've only got a couple of grand , that's the option 

Small vans ain't much use for me , bought a Merc Sprinter 20 years ago , 220 K on it now , there isn't a similar van on the market in Electric with any sort of range , it'll carry on getting fixed till I retire 

Funny how some folks see things as black and white, particularly when they are going grey.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ackroman said:

I don't but you know that. Maybe 6s would be better or a man with a flag? What else don't we need in a car that you might enjoy? 

I've got a Navara for that. It won't fit 5 sheep though, best to use a trailer and the EV could easily pull that.

I think that van you're going to buy won't last very long. I work with plenty of tradies who have tried it though. Van off the road = £0 pay.

Just a general opinion , most cars are too fast these days , no need for more than 80 mph and 0-60 in 7/8 seconds 

So that's a no 

Yep that's me 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The common thread on here with EVs (and it matches my own experience), is that Leasing is a big factor for both domestic and commercial electric vehicle use. The return of the companh car perhaps?

Never leased anything , only ever bought 3 vehicles brand new , 2 Iveco vans , 1 combilift fork truck at 38 K 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Never leased anything , only ever bought 3 vehicles brand new , 2 Iveco vans , 1 combilift fork truck at 38 K 

Neither have my parents, yet a lot of people get lease cars now. Times changing/generational thing perhaps.

15 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes I know , lots of stupid people about 

My lease costs me £340 per month, no deposit. For that, all I need to do is charge the car for 3 years. 

If I bought a car, it would cost as a rough estimate £1k per year to tax, insure, mot and service. That leaves me with £260ish per month for a loan to buy one, which equates to around £9k over 3 years. That buys me a fairly old car, with the inherent risks of breakdowns and further expense, but does after the 3 years leave me with something with a residual value, albeit probably mot much. It also costs me more to run in fuel costs. 

Based on that, I'd far rather have the certainty and reliability of the new car. Same as with the electrical v ice argument, different options are most appropriate for different people. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, gazza77 said:

My lease costs me £340 per month, no deposit. For that, all I need to do is charge the car for 3 years. 

If I bought a car, it would cost as a rough estimate £1k per year to tax, insure, mot and service. That leaves me with £260ish per month for a loan to buy one, which equates to around £9k over 3 years. That buys me a fairly old car, with the inherent risks of breakdowns and further expense, but does after the 3 years leave me with something with a residual value, albeit probably mot much. It also costs me more to run in fuel costs. 

Based on that, I'd far rather have the certainty and reliability of the new car. Same as with the electrical v ice argument, different options are most appropriate for different people. 

Mileage restriction ? 

Don't scratch it 😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Mileage restriction ? 

Don't scratch it 😉

Yes, mileage restriction. I'm currently 6k lower than my limit, so no issues there. If is bought one, the lack of milage restriction would be offset by increased maintenance costs and depreciation the more it's used. 

Don't scratch it, well obviously. I'd expect to look after one bought exactly the same, so absolutely no difference. 

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

6 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Yes, mileage restriction. I'm currently 6k lower than my limit, so no issues there. If is bought one, the lack of milage restriction would be offset by increased maintenance costs and depreciation the more it's used. 

Don't scratch it, well obviously. I'd expect to look after one bought exactly the same, so absolutely no difference. 

6k lower than limit ? So what's the limit ? 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You can set your mileage per year to whatever you want but the cost does jump the more miles you will be doing. I looked into leasing last year when I got a van but it would’ve been too expensive due the miles I do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

My contract is 24k in 3 years. Change of circumstances and I've done just over 12k in 26 months. 

Had I gone the other way, the bill would be a few pence per mile, so comparatively little compared to increased in insurance, maintenance, etc. if I'd owned. 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

13 hours ago, bobbruce said:

You can set your mileage per year to whatever you want but the cost does jump the more miles you will be doing. I looked into leasing last year when I got a van but it would’ve been too expensive due the miles I do. 

I'd say I'm the opposite , low mileage doesn't justify the outlay , and there's always the potential ( touch wood ) that I have no work for a long period of time , so only have tax and insurance to pay , I factor in a grand a year on repairs and that usually covers me 

On 20/01/2023 at 17:28, GUBRATS said:

Just a general opinion , most cars are too fast these days , no need for more than 80 mph and 0-60 in 7/8 seconds 

So that's a no 

Yep that's me 

Any car will do 0-60 in 2.75 seconds.

Pushed off a big enough cliff.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 hours ago, Griff said:

Any car will do 0-60 in 2.75 seconds.

Pushed off a big enough cliff.

Are you sure? I would have thought the initial drag on the cliff face would slow it enough to stop it reaching 60mph in under 3 seconds.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hw88 said:

Are you sure? I would have thought the initial drag on the cliff face would slow it enough to stop it reaching 60mph in under 3 seconds.

No doubt somebody will be able to check the terminal velocity of a Ford Focus , Tommy ? , Where's Tommy , he'll know 😂

22 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No doubt somebody will be able to check the terminal velocity of a Ford Focus , Tommy ? , Where's Tommy , he'll know 😂

Target speed: 60mph / 88 feet per second

Divide the 88 fps by the acceleration of gravity (32 fps/sec), a ford focus tipped off a cliff will reach 60 mph in a time of 2.73 seconds

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

• 2 months later...

An interesting comment I read recently:

A LEADING author and expert in mining has shocked the electric vehicle industry by saying that targets for EV sales and the deadlines for the end of sales of ICE vehicles set by politicians and bureaucrats cannot be met because the mining industry cannot deliver the minerals required.

I'd be surprised if the industry knew nothing about this but I'd equally be surprised if bureaucrats did know anything about it.  

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

25 minutes ago, RayCee said:

A LEADING author and expert in mining has shocked the electric vehicle industry by saying that targets for EV sales and the deadlines for the end of sales of ICE vehicles set by politicians and bureaucrats cannot be met because the mining industry cannot deliver the minerals required.

I'd be surprised if the industry knew nothing about this but I'd equally be surprised if bureaucrats did know anything about it.  

Hardly a secret , no way can they get enough 

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/03/2023 at 21:22, RayCee said:

The author was Mark Mills, who being generous, isn't a big fan of electric cars.  And is no way influenced by the Institute he works for being funded by the Koch bros, exxon, etc.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 4 weeks later...

Feature this morning on ' this morning ' about stage 2 self driving cars , the new Ford Mustang is ' stage 2 ' legal in the UK , so you can let go of the steering wheel on the motorway or dual carriageway, the expert stated all the car companies where developing their various systems for later stage self driving , surely for it to work requires all to be using the same system ? 

When we have roads full of SD cars it'll be fine , again providing they all work together as we see in the incredible drone light shows , 1,500 drones all working together at an IPL game a couple of weeks ago without any accidents , but get a dozen different systems and one ' bozo ' in an Audi and it'll be carnage 🙄

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Feature this morning on ' this morning ' about stage 2 self driving cars , the new Ford Mustang is ' stage 2 ' legal in the UK , so you can let go of the steering wheel on the motorway or dual carriageway, the expert stated all the car companies where developing their various systems for later stage self driving , surely for it to work requires all to be using the same system ? 

When we have roads full of SD cars it'll be fine , again providing they all work together as we see in the incredible drone light shows , 1,500 drones all working together at an IPL game a couple of weeks ago without any accidents , but get a dozen different systems and one ' bozo ' in an Audi and it'll be carnage 🙄

I'm no fan of the lofty promises of self driving cars and the current technology, but that's pretty much true now isn't it? 12 people believing they're acting rationally maybe in acutely different ways plus one idiot still equals accident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

49 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I'm no fan of the lofty promises of self driving cars and the current technology, but that's pretty much true now isn't it? 12 people believing they're acting rationally maybe in acutely different ways plus one idiot still equals accident.

My point exactly, the difference is the dozen will recognise the numpty before a SD car will , all IMO of course 

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

My point exactly, the difference is the dozen will recognise the numpty before a SD car will , all IMO of course 

Not sure that's how it is.  It's been shown for example that in emergency braking situations, drivers neither react quickly enough and don't brake hard enough. That is why some cars now come with  Emergency Brake Assist and Autonomous Pre- collision Braking.

• Like 1