Fri 18 Nov: Wheelchair World Cup Final: France v England KO 7.30pm

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France
    • England

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/11/22 at 20:00

23 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Is this sport played nation wide or just in the heartlands. I am just wondering if the RU boys have their own version .

Right now it's patchy, but the SE of England has several clubs, as well as the traditional areas. But I suspect there may be outbreaks of the sport in all sorts of places, judging by the public response to seeing wheelchair RL for the first time.

After all, you don't need a full-sized pitch or a traditional RL club behind you, just a large enough sports hall where you can book slots in the weekly timetable. Plus it's the only weatherproof version of Rugby.

Rugby Union claim to have their own version, but it's nothing to do with them - it's a well-documented spin-off from wheelchair basketball. RU are just pretending it's RU to boost their phoney participation numbers, just like they do for tag and touch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I don’t think we need to get too drawn into the lines of rugby league or rugby union, either way it’s an excellent spectacle and shouldn’t be bringing into this sport the history of rugby league and rugby union. 

I do ,I can see RU doing there best to come up with something to take away the limelight. The sport is called wheel chair RUGBY LEAGUE and that is enough for them to want to kill it off

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I do ,I can see RU doing there best to come up with something to take away the limelight. The sport is called wheel chair RUGBY LEAGUE and that is enough for them to want to kill it off

Yup - they will of course try and bring it under their wing and pretend wheelchair RL was never a thing.

After the stuff they have pulled in places like Greece - I am amazed they are ever given the benefit of anything.

An organisation that even went to the steps to trademark "Rugby" world cup.

Edited by Leonard

Just been rewatching the 55mins to 80mins.

2 very dodgy decisions before 'the argument'. Where the French official seemed to claim the England player played at the ball. Looked to me like a charge down (does that even exist?) rather than played at by England. Then he goes off on one not watching the play and trouncing up the touchline. Play continues and he doesn't set a defensive line marker for the French team, they are actively looking at him for it. 

Then on 72 mins fails to call a pull on an england player. Very obviously a pull too. Then immediately calls England offside on 73 mins. Very harsh call. At the restart he pulls England back much further than 4 metres. 

75mins drop out, he calls a rip on France and the ref over rules to give a drop out.

England score. Refs arguing it shouldn't be a try. Very unprofessional.

Tell me there shouldn't be a review...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Agbrigg said:

There’s absolutely nothing to suggest that is going to happen but your opinion. The tournament was a success before tonight and there’s been nothing but positivity.

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

There’s absolutely nothing to suggest that is going to happen but your opinion. The tournament was a success before tonight and there’s been nothing but positivity.

Just a weight of history.

4 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

The term ‘rugby league’ was used more times In the last few hours on the BBC than in the last 30 years! 

On another note, JJ Chalmers did a great job, even admitting that he was going through a bad time mentally at the weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Agbrigg said:

I can imagine a wheelchair adaptation of line-outs, but the fans' most frotted-over aspect of the 15-man code is the rolling about on the ground and/or collapsing the scrum to con the referee. And I don't think that's transferrable to wheelchairs.

They'll just carry on claiming that Clive Woodward invented "Wheelchair Rugby" in his teens. In the USA. And didn't originally call it "Rugby". It's the easier option.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Study history to know the future, patterns are written throughout the past, in all walks of life not just sport.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

Study history to know the future, patterns are written throughout the past, in all walks of life not just sport.

Quite - history doesn't repeat, but it rhymes. 

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Well, when you say "nothing but positivity", you have to discount the stuff on TRL, plus the one guy on Twitter who was so desperately grasping for the tiniest straw of misery that he just ended up moaning that the lighting wasn't bright enough. :kolobok_biggrin:

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Not in Wheelchair RL. There’s been four Wheelchair World Cup’s, England have now won two and it’s still going. 

It was a trivial nonentity until we started filling stadia and getting prime time TV on free to air, now it's a threat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

It was a trivial nonentity until we started filling stadia and getting prime time TV on free to air, now it's a threat.

Meh. I don’t care for predicting doom and pontificating about something else. I’m off to bed smiling that I’ve just watched some sublime athletes win a World Cup. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Not in wheelchair rugby league. 

You seem to fail to understand how vindictive the RFU are about the use of the word rugby by Ruby League. The minute it gets its head above the local no sales press they want to kill it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear for all the good bbc have done nothing on the news about the WC Final win.

• Sad 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.