Why can't we discuss Leighs rebrand? (Merged Threads)

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Neither would I , and do I care if it does ? 

We don't care what it looks like , it'll be OUR shirt , it could have anything on it as long as it doesn't say Wigan on it 

Which is fine, but some people (even Leigh supporters) do care.. 

I am surprised you don't care that your team keep changing everything after the rebrand etc and are making the club look less than it should (given your history with it, and how shirty you have been getting) but fair enough... There are plenty in Leigh that do and outsiders of the club are allowed an opinion on how the actions are reflecting on others, as you, and others, are allowed an opinion (and have had one) on how other clubs have acted in the past and how that makes the game look. 

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We've had threads on here about Ken Davy's wealth and how it has been used/could have been used.

Similarly David Hughes wealth and investment is mentioned a lot.

As, indeed, are most owners because it's not that hard to find and it's not club specific targetting.

I think a few posters on here are wilfully "forgetting" how much their panties got in a twist about a certain aussie and how wealthy or not they were when investing in Canadian RL as well.. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Derek really doesn’t help himself with some of his tweets 

I’m not sure posting what looks like (i know they’re not) trophy hunting pics is a great look to be honest

To be fair to him on this one this is how "trophy hunting" should be.. no need to kill animals etc but if they are "asleep" for good reason then why not pose with it? I dont have a major issue. Even the spin on it I dont see being a problem, this is where this whole rebrand could have been so good and done so well. Not only helping the club but helping a great cause.. 

I've said before the rebrand, name etc, isnt bad, not my cup of tea but not bad. Its the way it has been handled that is the issue and hte constant changes after the launch which no company in their right mind would do. 

Its just missed the mark due to the cack handed way it was handled. 

• Like 1

Just now, RP London said:

To be fair to him on this one this is how "trophy hunting" should be.. no need to kill animals etc but if they are "asleep" for good reason then why not pose with it? I dont have a major issue. Even the spin on it I dont see being a problem, this is where this whole rebrand could have been so good and done so well. Not only helping the club but helping a great cause.. 

I've said before the rebrand, name etc, isnt bad, not my cup of tea but not bad. Its the way it has been handled that is the issue and hte constant changes after the launch which no company in their right mind would do. 

I think he could have explained the images a bit better, and as you say go into detail about what they do with conservation etc, I don’t have an ‘issue’ per se with it he can post what he likes, he just seems to shoot himself in the foot quite a lot (no pun intended)

20 minutes ago, RP London said:

I think a few posters on here are wilfully "forgetting" how much their panties got in a twist about a certain aussie and how wealthy or not they were when investing in Canadian RL as well.. 

It was more the long term logistics of his project , which unfortunately has been proven correct , albeit with the pandemic possibly being the final straw 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RP London said:

Which is fine, but some people (even Leigh supporters) do care.. 

I am surprised you don't care that your team keep changing everything after the rebrand etc and are making the club look less than it should (given your history with it, and how shirty you have been getting) but fair enough... There are plenty in Leigh that do and outsiders of the club are allowed an opinion on how the actions are reflecting on others, as you, and others, are allowed an opinion (and have had one) on how other clubs have acted in the past and how that makes the game look. 

No problem with anybody having an opinion on it , I have one , but it's done , so just how long is the ' outrage ' going to go on for ? , Just what do other fans expect or want the Leigh fans to do ? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No problem with anybody having an opinion on it , I have one , but it's done , so just how long is the ' outrage ' going to go on for ? , Just what do other fans expect or want the Leigh fans to do ? 

As was mentioned earlier, if he didnt keep changing it and making daft posts which bring it back up again this would have gone away along time ago.. its the idiotic nature of what is happening that is keeping it in the "public eye". But you know this because you have been reading the thread and its been mentioned before, and you're not a fool.

I dont expect the Leigh Fans to do anything, but you cannot expect others to sit around and say nothing either, and I am 100% sure if it was any other team you would be doing very similar (as you did with Toronto all the time repeating and repeating the same stuff), its just getting called out for what it is..

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

As was mentioned earlier, if he didnt keep changing it and making daft posts which bring it back up again this would have gone away along time ago.. its the idiotic nature of what is happening that is keeping it in the "public eye". But you know this because you have been reading the thread and its been mentioned before, and you're not a fool.

I dont expect the Leigh Fans to do anything, but you cannot expect others to sit around and say nothing either, and I am 100% sure if it was any other team you would be doing very similar (as you did with Toronto all the time repeating and repeating the same stuff), its just getting called out for what it is..

On the scale of bonkers ideas , a RL team playing out of Toronto in an essentially English league is a thousand times higher than a clubs poorly executed rebrand , forgetting the financial aspect of it , just the logistics was crazy 

But fair enough , feel free to continue , I'll dip out as I've work to do , and other more important issues 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The ‘outrage’ (there is no outrage) will continue whilst they continue to come out with more amateurish stuff.

Im afraid the mickey taking is probably going to last the whole season whilst they play in that kit.

I think thankfully for your clubs sake they have assembled a fairly decent so will go ok, if they are sat at the bottom of the table it will probably get worse.

• Like 1

What does Nige wear ? 

Nige? If you mean that fat fella from Bradford then probably those funny old man's shoes with velcro straps they sell in the Mail on Sunday magazine on mail order, nothing else will handle his wide feet

If you mean Neil, I'm sure like me he probably alternates between brogues for business and Stan Smiths for leisure because he's comfortable being cool in his late 40's without having to dress like Kevin the Teenager 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I think you're confusing 'hilarity' with outrage

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

16 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

If I was a Leigh fan id be gutted because they have genuinely done some good stuff (memberships etc) and signed some decent players, and they had a real opportunity with a rebrand to create a professional and positive image going into SL

And instead 99.9% of people are taking the mick because its so bad.

I'll be gutted if we get relegated. Disappointed / frustrated is probably a better description of how I feel towards how this rebrand has been handled. 

The launch has been poorly executed, but I'll wait a bit longer to judge it in full. If the junior stuff kicks off, and gives us a chance of getting academy status, there are improvements to matchday experience and things like new mascot can help kids enjoy their trips to LSV more and it all ultimately gives us a better chance of achieving an A grade, then much of this will be forgotten.

2 hours ago, RP London said:

Seriously though, what are the 'constant changes'. The name hasn't changed since launch, neither has the badge. The shirt has changed once (and the club will argue, correctly or incorrectly, that they never actually launched a shirt during the brand launch). Constant changes seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

I'll be gutted if we get relegated. Disappointed / frustrated is probably a better description of how I feel towards how this rebrand has been handled. 

The launch has been poorly executed, but I'll wait a bit longer to judge it in full. If the junior stuff kicks off, and gives us a chance of getting academy status, there are improvements to matchday experience and things like new mascot can help kids enjoy their trips to LSV more and it all ultimately gives us a better chance of achieving an A grade, then much of this will be forgotten.

Seriously though, what are the 'constant changes'. The name hasn't changed since launch, neither has the badge. The shirt has changed once (and the club will argue, correctly or incorrectly, that they never actually launched a shirt during the brand launch). Constant changes seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me.

There’s been a few constant things, the constant hilarity of it and the constant lack of a website

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

fair enough constant changes may be wrong, it feels like it a bit perhaps because its been the tweets and defence and silly things around that that have been more constant. 

I hope it works (except the shirt, i hope that tones down in the next year or so) because  the more strong clubs we have the better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

There’s been a few constant things, the constant hilarity of it and the constant lack of a website

Have already commented on the lack of a website, and comms in general. But the idea that things have kept changing isn't really true. Fact that people think it has was another sign of the poor comms.

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Have already commented on the lack of a website, and comms in general. But the idea that things have kept changing isn't really true. Fact that people think it has was another sign of the poor comms.

Yes it really didn’t help that derek beaumont was tweeting different variations of the logo for a week after the launch, each one some how getting progressively worse, and I didn’t think that was possible to get worse than the first one.

They also tweeted two different versions of the kit on the actual day of the launch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think he could have explained the images a bit better, and as you say go into detail about what they do with conservation etc, I don’t have an ‘issue’ per se with it he can post what he likes, he just seems to shoot himself in the foot quite a lot (no pun intended)

I just assumed they had been put to sleep to spare them from having to deal with Derek.

14 hours ago, JohnM said:

During half time at OT, I was chatting to a Leigh supporter almost as old as I am. He said how good the owner was for the club and he liked the rebrand. However, he also preferred Hilton Park to the new stadium.

In all seriousness, he is good for the club. Love him it hate him Leigh are in the best shape they've been for a long long time, and it's because of his investment and efforts. 

As for the rebrand, the name isn't great imo but there are worse out there. The badge is a bit naff but it's no worse than a few others. The kit is hideous, but then I'm not the target audience and things like that are always down to preference. I really like our Hull Fair kit this year, but I understand lots of people think it's awful and that's fine.

My main issue with the whole rebrand is how half baked and unprofessional it has all been. Something like this should have all been planned months and month ago. Right from launch day there should have been a shiny new website, a finalised badge and shirt designs and ready to go. But it's often appeared like they are making it up as they go along, and things like "is it a leopard or is it a jaguar" and some of Degsy's tweets have just made it all feel like a circus.

Leigh fans seem to think everyone hates them but that's not true. I for one wish them all the best and hope that this all ends up being a massive success, but at the minute it all feels like a school project.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1