Why can't we discuss Leighs rebrand? (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Dont you come on here and start sounding sensible!

Thats the sort of growth that is achievable and arguably sustainable. Obviously you aim a little higher and then the next year a little higher but to jump to where DB is going seems odd.. Maybe 12k in 5-6 years of sustained Super League presence and success.. 

It all sounds like Michael Knighton when he bought Carlisle UTD 30 odd years ago and said they'd be in the premier league in 20 years (or something equally as mad!)

I am basing my theory on living in the town, getting about talking to people and following the club since the time that "France Surrendered" - well nearly.

Leigh could not be regarded as an affluent place by any stretch of the imagination and in these times of austerity I should imagine that extra disposable income is at a premium for a lot of families, I am more fortunate than some and I will be there and would be very pleased if we can emulate the 6,500 of '17 and overjoyed if we can add anything on that.

As you say, I think Mr Beaumont is setting his sights to high to early but that is the nature of the fella, I can't knock him for his enthusiasm but I hope he doesn't get to dissapointed if he doesn't acheive his prediction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RP London said:

Dont you come on here and start sounding sensible!

Thats the sort of growth that is achievable and arguably sustainable. Obviously you aim a little higher and then the next year a little higher but to jump to where DB is going seems odd.. Maybe 12k in 5-6 years of sustained Super League presence and success.. 

It all sounds like Michael Knighton when he bought Carlisle UTD 30 odd years ago and said they'd be in the premier league in 20 years (or something equally as mad!)

The worst thing is Beaumont hasn't even thought about the reality of hitting a 12k average. The Leigh Sports Village only holds 12k so to hit a 12k average Leigh would need to sell out every single week without fail. That is never going to happen. Even what would be a good gate of 8k v say Catalans would need a 16k gate against say Wigan to balance that out. It's just impossible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

He’s admitted himself its just ‘bait’ to get attention, it’s all rather childish imo

I mean, we’ve seen the marketing people that did the rebrand so we shouldn’t be surprised but this all feels like “101 ways not to market a business”. He’s continually looking daft and looking like an internet troll rather than a credible club owner with genuine ambition and strategy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He’s admitted himself its just ‘bait’ to get attention, it’s all rather childish imo

Its indicative of a club that seems very much a one man band that jumps to his whims.

I'm very hopeful Leigh can grow into a solid enough Super League club, but when you see things like the whole suite of social media channels being scrapped, the reason behind the leopard print, no website or (digital) infrastructure, or even no permanent club shop, it only serves as a reminder that at the current time Leigh are closer to being a Batley with a benefactor than a Castleford who have been outside Super League.

One for the Leigh fans I suppose, do Leigh need to outgrow DB?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its indicative of a club that seems very much a one man band that jumps to his whims.

I'm very hopeful Leigh can grow into a solid enough Super League club, but when you see things like the whole suite of social media channels being scrapped, the reason behind the leopard print, no website or (digital) infrastructure, or even no permanent club shop, it only serves as a reminder that at the current time Leigh are closer to being a Batley with a benefactor than a Castleford who have been outside Super League.

The permanent club shop is on the market in the town centre. Has been for years.

But on the last question, yes, Leigh do need to grow to at least not be reliant on his money. Something DB has said repeatedly himself.

Just now, phiggins said:

The permanent club shop is on the market in the town centre. Has been for years.

But on the last question, yes, Leigh do need to grow to at least not be reliant on his money. Something DB has said repeatedly himself.

Apologies that wasn't clear, a physical shop that is a bit more permanent than a market stall. 

I hope the infrastructure is being put in place for that to happen sooner rather than later. It is hard for people to step back.

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

With respect,m'lud thats not the right question. I'd ask " can Leigh outgrow DB". I think the answer is ",no".

He's their best bet because there is in my view, limited opportunity to become sustainably successful in the way Wigan are already. 

Yes under DB, in PR  they'll  punch above their weight and grab the headlines.  Yes under dB they'll beat bigger and better teams, tweaking a few tails, too. 

But in my view, they'll never reach maturity. However, for Leopards fans, it's going to be an exciting few years..and who can deny them that?

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Apologies that wasn't clear, a physical shop that is a bit more permanent than a market stall. 

I hope the infrastructure is being put in place for that to happen sooner rather than later. It is hard for people to step back.

The stall is actually pretty big, and probably bigger than the shop floor space at a lot of the retail units in the town centre. Certainly big enough to hold all the stock and for customers to be able to wonder around and look at what is available.

Given the footfall there, I'd question the logic of renting a building of their own and wouldn't point to it as an example of poor infrastructure to be honest.

For some reason that awful publication Serious about rugby League just keep snipping comments made and releasing them as articles. They release absolute drivel everyday for clicks.

They’re making it seem like Derek is constantly in the press and he isn’t, the comments were made at a private fans forum in front of 300 season ticket holders and sponsors. Using Wigan as a benchmark is not a bad thing as they are a good club to aspire to are they not? 

I wish every club owner in the game was trying this hard to improve their teams and fill their grounds. The game would be in  a much better place.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, binosh said:

For some reason that awful publication Serious about rugby League just keep snipping comments made and releasing them as articles. They release absolute drivel everyday for clicks.

They’re making it seem like Derek is constantly in the press and he isn’t, the comments were made at a private fans forum in front of 300 season ticket holders and sponsors. Using Wigan as a benchmark is not a bad thing as they are a good club to aspire to are they not? 

I wish every club owner in the game was trying this hard to improve their teams and fill their grounds. The game would be in  a much better place.

It was a total rl article. They do seem to be DB’s extended mouthpiece.

38 minutes ago, binosh said:

In the past few years there’s been rebrands of sorts at Hull KR, Wigan and Midlands Hurricanes, ground works at Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield, Sheffield Eagles, Toulouse, London Broncos and York City Knights are playing out of new stadiums and there are notable efforts of improving matchday experiences at Barrow, Hull KR, Wigan and Catalans. All of that is off the top of my head so there’s probably clubs I’m missing from that list, so to say that clubs aren’t trying hard to improve and fill their grounds is, frankly, incorrect. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am basing my theory on living in the town, getting about talking to people and following the club since the time that "France Surrendered" - well nearly.

Leigh could not be regarded as an affluent place by any stretch of the imagination and in these times of austerity I should imagine that extra disposable income is at a premium for a lot of families, I am more fortunate than some and I will be there and would be very pleased if we can emulate the 6,500 of '17 and overjoyed if we can add anything on that.

As you say, I think Mr Beaumont is setting his sights to high to early but that is the nature of the fella, I can't knock him for his enthusiasm but I hope he doesn't get to dissapointed if he doesn't acheive his prediction.

and we've seen what can happen at other clubs when that happens. At least DB is a lover of the club but its how much he i prepared to be disappointed.. hopefully he really does know what his aims should be and this is a bit of bluster but how much "you said this but you didn't do it" can he then take.. 

its a bit of a risky game if that is what he is playing, if he truly believes this is possible then I hope he is ready for disappointment.. but equally if he succeeds then fair play to him! I wish him and the club the best, just hope there is some realism in there somewhere. 

14 minutes ago, Jughead said:

In the past few years there’s been rebrands of sorts at Hull KR, Wigan and Midlands Hurricanes, ground works at Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield, Sheffield Eagles, Toulouse, London Broncos and York City Knights are playing out of new stadiums and there are notable efforts of improving matchday experiences at Barrow, Hull KR, Wigan and Catalans. All of that is off the top of my head so there’s probably clubs I’m missing from that list, so to say that clubs aren’t trying hard to improve and fill their grounds is, frankly, incorrect. 

Eagles also did a bit of a rebrand too changing the flying eagle to just an eagles head which is much cleaner, bit basic but much cleaner. 

Your right.. loads of clubs are trying to move themselves forwards and build. 

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Was that when they informed fans up and running early December ?

Tremendous if you're trying to triple your number of home fans.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Tremendous if you're trying to triple your number of home fans.

The website doesn't have any reach when it comes to getting new fans. It's just a static channel. 

As rubbish as it is that there is no website, the club are still using social channels to reach people, and send them to where they can purchase memberships online. I don't think the website being down during the close season will have much of an impact on ticket sales tbh. (As tickets aren't sold on the site anyway)

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

The website doesn't have any reach when it comes to getting new fans. It's just a static channel. 

As rubbish as it is that there is no website, the club are still using social channels to reach people, and send them to where they can purchase memberships online. I don't think the website being down during the close season will have much of an impact on ticket sales tbh. (As tickets aren't sold on the site anyway)

We'll agree to disagree on whether it's an issue or not.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Damien said:

The worst thing is Beaumont hasn't even thought about the reality of hitting a 12k average. The Leigh Sports Village only holds 12k so to hit a 12k average Leigh would need to sell out every single week without fail. That is never going to happen. Even what would be a good gate of 8k v say Catalans would need a 16k gate against say Wigan to balance that out. It's just impossible.

Leigh currently could only possibly sell out against Wigan, Saints and Warrington and thats on IF they do well. Some SL teams play in huge football stadiums and have no chance of selling them out so wasted capacity is just that.

12k is a benchmark because that the Capacity. Like the HJ, it wouldn't take long to fill the sides in at LSV to increase the capacity, but for what ?

Leighs first game v Salford will be the Acid test. It could be a disaster or it could well be a 10k plus crowd, but Del is confident, and he has a team of professionals that can finally lead his club to better climbs.

Anything above a 7k average next season would be a success. Staying up though is the biggest priority. Let him enjoy himself and lets hope that RL finally gets on the map in regards to attendances next year because it has been boring and flat for good while now !