Latest Englishman to the NRL

Tosh

It's a good move all round I expect, I think the only frustration is the timing. Wigan probably should have put their foot down earlier rather than letting this drag out to the point where there's little chance of bringing in a replacement. It's not urgent, but losing one back row forward this year and two more at the end of next year means there could be an issue if the right players aren't available. Nicholson and Rushton leaving in the last few years also hasn't helped as we're going from a situation of real depth in the back row to being a bit thin on numbers come the end of 2023 unless some good players can be identified.

Got to look at it from a business point of view too though. Bateman hasn't been anywhere near the levels he was in his previous time at the club. He hasn't been terrible as I've seen some suggest. He's probably still be top 5 back row forwards in Super League on the whole but a marquee player needs to be the number 1 in his position. It hasn't happened and there's no reason to believe it would have happened because we've got plenty of prior evidence of what happens when Wigan bring back former players. It will be another Sam Tomkins scenario. He was never going to hit the same heights at Wigan but when he went to Catalans he got a new lease of life. I fully expect Bateman to be a star at Wests because he's got the ability.

We've done well to get two transfer fees out of a player who has no real loyalty or willingness to see out contracts. That's not a bad thing. From a Wigan point of view we've just got to hope first and foremost that there's no decline in Liam Farrell's performances and then that Pearce-Paul can finally fulfil his potential in his preferred position.

Another positive is that we've got Smithies who can cover the back row. I know he's nailed down the loose forward role but that's a position that can also be covered by players like Havard, Ellis and Shorrocks if they can put in some good form. Smithies gives you exactly the same whether at 13,12 or 11 so it's another option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Isn't it time to stop talking about Brits in the NRL? First of all it's getting a bit tedious, much like that League itself. I can't help but think that part of the seeming lack of progress generally is perceiving the NRL the way we all tend to.

Who cares if some players' careers take them them elsewhere?

When people leave your club side do you follow their progress at all?

It’s not compulsory to read or post on a thread in which the NRL is mentioned,feel free to ignore them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Remeber when he sacked off the NRL to go back to Wigan because he wanted to be closer to his family? 

Presumably theres been a big family fall out recently..... 

No, rather it seems Covid is over, travel is now far easier, and being in Australia isn't the barrier to seeing family that it was in 2020/21

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

We've done well to get two transfer fees out of a player who has no real loyalty or willingness to see out contracts.

21 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You do wonder if Bateman will actually see out a contract before his playing career comes to an end

I don't know the back story here, has Bateman (or his agent) gone looking for an NRL contract or has the player and Wigan club been approached about a possible transfer by Wests?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't know the back story here, has Bateman (or his agent) gone looking for an NRL contract or has the player and Wigan club been approached about a possible transfer by Wests?

The statement from Wigan points to Bateman & his agent.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

There are, though, perhaps a dozen British NRL fans who will “enjoy” this, while millions of UK fans see their game diminished. 

Well, they'd better do something about it then, hadn't they. Can't blame individual players for doing what's best.

Best of luck to Bateman, I hope he can tear it up again as he did in his previous stint.

Not Ideal for Wigan, but you would have thought the club would have had put in place some form of plan, as it was clear Bateman wanted to head back to the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I bet Wigan and their fans can't believe their luck to get rid of him.

27 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Best of luck to Bateman, I hope he can tear it up again as he did in his previous stint.

Not Ideal for Wigan, but you would have thought the club would have had put in place some form of plan, as it was clear Bateman wanted to head back to the NRL.

I think Wigan think they got out of this with the better deal.

Got rid of an over paid star who hasn't handled SL since his return and even got a fee for him.

The Wigan conveyor belt will soon replace him.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

It’s not compulsory to read or post on a thread in which the NRL is mentioned,feel free to ignore them.

For the most part I do but thanks for the advice.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Tear it up like he does his contracts you mean.  Bloke is an absolute rat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Tear it up like he does his contracts you mean.  Bloke is an absolute rat

Since you feel so strongly and have such an insight into his behaviour, personal situation and circumstances, it's clear you know him well. What did he say when you mentioned all this to him? 

Edited by JohnM