Friendlies

On 30/01/2023 at 08:14, Kirmonds pouch said:

The Wakefield v Fev game was in my opinion the pick of the friendlies and so it proved. Plenty of pride and a bit of spite, and as closely matched as you can get between most of SL and the Championship

Fev almost certainly the best Championship team, Trinity as ever far better that the pundits suggest.

Very competitive game. Fev threw everything at Trinity in the first half as you'd expect but were largely thwarted by some first class scrambling defence, which pleased me. All the same in attacking terms Fev were the better team by some way.

In the second half when Trinity realised this was more than just a training run and they rallied. Fitness and finish was the key, Fev were tired and Trinity knew how to take full advantage, something we have been missing for a few years now. It took some stonking tries for us to win, there were no walk ins, we had to play hard and well to win that.

From a Trinity perspective, Proctor and Atoni look first class signings, Proctor in particular looks what he is, a seasoned pro. Two friendlies and he's got stuck into both. The rest of the team looks more balanced though I prefer Morgan Smith to Gaskell myself.

Oh, and the Lineham seems to want to play again, which was an unexpected bonus to be honest.

Fev are a huge team, though I thought a couple of their forwards were a bit blubbery, ok for now but may need sorting. However they are well organised, strong up the middle and have good halves. Hard to see anyone who can challenge them this year.

Looks like Fev. are going to play the same way as last season when their big massive forwards were found out in their games against Leigh when our younger more mobile pack found them out. So to any aspiring championship teams, study the Leigh v Fev matches last season apart from the first of course.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Looks like Fev. are going to play the same way as last season when their big massive forwards were found out in their games against Leigh when our younger more mobile pack found them out. So to any aspiring championship teams, study the Leigh v Fev matches last season apart from the first of course.

This is laughable. Are the other Championship teams going to be able to sign NRL-calibre players such as Asiata, Amone, Ferguson, Lam, O'Donnell, McDonald etc?

The message to other Championship teams should be to learn from what Batley did, not what Leigh did. Batley beat Fev fair and square on a vastly lower budget.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Ive studied it and my findings were as follows - 
1. Move Fev's older players around the pitch and hope it pays off in the last 20 minutes.
2. Quick play the balls to get their big forwards on the back foot as much as possible.
3. Look to turn Fev around early in the tackle count if possible again looking to tire out their pack.
4. Have to take risks and look to get some offloads away in the tackle again hoping to beat Fev on fitness.

5. Spend pretty much 2 million pounds to assemble a team that would survive in SL.

Ive emailed Halifax and hope that they can act on my findings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I'm unconvinced that having watched MacDonald last season that he wil prove to be a good centre in SL, Leigh had no reason to put him out on the wing with having Inu and Ferguson commanding those positions , most of the not to many tries scored against Leigh went through the centre position he was defending and his ball distribution was not the best. 

Hasn't Rohan already stated that his best form in Aus was as a winger, he is very good under the high ball, I can see why Rohan is looking at alternatives for a centre position from the squad and ultimately I see Nene's selection will be out wide.

Yeah Newman is only out and out center and he's crocked I can't think of one winger that's transitioned into a good center but that seems to be the plan at Leeds.

16 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

I think Fev’s biggest upgrade is around half back and patterns of play last season was very much one out Rugby and early indications are that we will see a lot less of that this season 

3 hours ago, Daft old hooker said:

I think Fev’s biggest upgrade is around half back and patterns of play last season was very much one out Rugby and early indications are that we will see a lot less of that this season 

Has an outsider I think Fev's biggest upgrade is seeing the back of Brian McDermott, I expect that the Fev fan's will see a big improvement in the team's on field performances with Sean Long in charge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Has an outsider I think Fev's biggest upgrade is seeing the back of Brian McDermott, I expect that the Fev fan's will see a big improvement in the team's on field performances with Sean Long in charge.

True H you can see it all ready H it's like chalk and cheese in 6 halves of rugby against SL opposition we have had 4 halves of nil points

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

Yeah Newman is only out and out center and he's crocked I can't think of one winger that's transitioned into a good center but that seems to be the plan at Leeds.

20 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

Just thought of one Zak Hardaker.

Your going to have to give me a warning before you say things like that.  I nearly choked on my mid afternoon rich tea.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Your going to have to give me a warning before you say things like that.  I nearly choked on my mid afternoon rich tea.

Go on then I'll bite which wingers have turned out to be better centers? Also I find digestives much more palatable of an afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Tippytoe said:

Go on then I'll bite which wingers have turned out to be better centers? Also I find digestives much more palatable of an afternoon. 

No idea.

Just that Hardaker is a rubbish centre.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Went to Dragons v Elite 1 selection today.

Elite 1 selection put up a good fight in the first half v mainly French players + Tom Johnston and Mitchel Pearce second half more regular first teamers came on and it was game over.

Left early as atmosphere was similar to snail racing so headed off back home to Spain (Its only 35 mins from my front door to the stadium) to sit back at home with a glass of wine and the doggie watching the sun go down (Far more entertaining)

Back off to blighty on Monday will be going to 4 matches in the opening round Warrington Wolves/Wakefield Trinity/Hull KR/Hull FC (Although tempted to give the Dragons game at Wakey a miss and go to Leigh on the Friday) before heading over to Hull) 

Paul

• Like 2

Decent enough game at Wire v Leigh. Plenty of niggle for a friendly and the forwards certainly went at each other. Thought Leigh looked a bit sharper with the ball and obviously led 10 v 6 at HT. 

Was pleased that our big pack held up and we ground them down in the end. Weird incident that saw Mcguire sent off on his debut in the aftermath of Curries winning try. Nobody seems to know why. 

Enjoyable enough testimonial with 5.5k there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Went to Dragons v Elite 1 selection today.

Elite 1 selection put up a good fight in the first half v mainly French players + Tom Johnston and Mitchel Pearce second half more regular first teamers came on and it was game over.

Left early as atmosphere was similar to snail racing so headed off back home to Spain (Its only 35 mins from my front door to the stadium) to sit back at home with a glass of wine and the doggie watching the sun go down (Far more entertaining)

Back off to blighty on Monday will be going to 4 matches in the opening round Warrington Wolves/Wakefield Trinity/Hull KR/Hull FC (Although tempted to give the Dragons game at Wakey a miss and go to Leigh on the Friday) before heading over to Hull) 

Paul

You just want to see the Fuel Girls , don't you ? 😉