Friendlies

Pretty strong line up for Hull away at Sheffield. Hoy and Clifford both getting a run out. The two interesting things imo in the starting line up are Lovodua at hooker (Houghton and Dwyer are both on the bench) and Griffin playing second row.

Hopefully a good hit out and no injuries.

50 minutes ago, MZH said:

Pretty strong line up for Hull away at Sheffield. Hoy and Clifford both getting a run out. The two interesting things imo in the starting line up are Lovodua at hooker (Houghton and Dwyer are both on the bench) and Griffin playing second row.

Hopefully a good hit out and no injuries.

Plenty here for this game too, possibly the biggest attendances for Sheffield this.

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

He’s a good solid prop who works hard and won’t let you down.

as said he went home because of the pandemic.

Who was the young lad on the wing with the mullet for you - I think 22?

he was your best player i thought.

For Leeds i liked that we now have some genuine size and Holroyd looks like a new signing for us.

Ash handley also looked good at full back.

So you were one of the 150 ?

26 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So you were one of the 150 ?

Me too, but just to say it was my first time at the LSV... we enjoyed the hospitality and every one was very welcoming and friendly. The various persons we spoke to seemed very positive and enthusiastic about the club and I hope you do well this season.  I look forward to the SL game when Leeds next visit LSV.

I thought Leigh out muscled Leeds, although a tighter wrestle 2nd half - certainly kept Leeds pinned back in their 20... and although a friendly seemed a good run out and the rustiness showed.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Me too, but just to say it was my first time at the LSV... we enjoyed the hospitality and every one was very welcoming and friendly. The various persons we spoke to seemed very positive and enthusiastic about the club and I hope you do well this season.  I look forward to the SL game when Leeds next visit LSV.

I thought Leigh out muscled Leeds, although a tighter wrestle 2nd half - certainly kept Leeds pinned back in their 20... and although a friendly seemed a good run out and the rustiness showed.

Don't suppose you were the Salford fan I spoke to coming out of Leigh bus station were you?

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I thought Leigh were the better side and played with more intensity, Leeds were moving players around a lot so didn’t build any momentum, these pre season friendlies don’t really give much indication of how the season will pan out but Id say Leigh are better equipped than ever to stay up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I thought Leigh were the better side and played with more intensity, Leeds were moving players around a lot so didn’t build any momentum, these pre season friendlies don’t really give much indication of how the season will pan out but Id say Leigh are better equipped than ever to stay up.

With the signing of Ava Seumanufagai that takes us to 27 players, far to short on numbers with no Academy as back up if needed, I think we need at least 32 for when the inevitable injuries kick in, which they surely will.

Sheffield 20 Hull FC 22

Good run out, with the artificial surface meaning no ice issues.

The best part of the day was that it was a triple header, with the wheelchair sides meeting earlier in a 26-26 draw, Hull women beating Sheffield Women by 2 points and a close run thing in the men's friendly. This has to be the way forward. 

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

150 ? 

I thought you Yorkies were ' ard ' ? 

For a friendly it was a decent away following, especially across the penines. The south stand looked as busy as pretty much any game in the championship last season barring Fev and the GF vs Batley.

Decent contest between Whitehaven and Wigan's youngsters this afternoon. Finished 22-14 to Wigan after being 8-0 down at half time. It was a bit of a slog in the first 40 and Whitehaven looked like they would be too strong but the second half really opened up. Haven were bigger down the middle but slick handling from Wigan led to some good field position and well worked tries.

Harvie Hill, Logan Astley and Tom Forber were outstanding for Wigan. Dion Aiye the standout for Haven with some strong carries. Wigan had too much threat on the left edge that Haven struggled to deal with at times. 

Perhaps the most interesting update of the afternoon...

York RLFC Knights @YorkRLFC

After the cancellation of their friendly, the Knights and the Bulldogs played in a behind closed doors game at York St John’s Sports Park this afternoon. 𝙁𝙐𝙇𝙇-𝙏𝙄𝙈𝙀:York Knights 48-12 @BatleyRLFC

Usual pre-season caveats apply but I'd like to know a bit more about teams etc for this one.

15 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Decent contest between Whitehaven and Wigan's youngsters this afternoon. Finished 22-14 to Wigan after being 8-0 down at half time. It was a bit of a slog in the first 40 and Whitehaven looked like they would be too strong but the second half really opened up. Haven were bigger down the middle but slick handling from Wigan led to some good field position and well worked tries.

Harvie Hill, Logan Astley and Tom Forber were outstanding for Wigan. Dion Aiye the standout for Haven with some strong carries. Wigan had too much threat on the left edge that Haven struggled to deal with at times. 

The were very quick the Wigan youngsters with plenty backing up whenever they made a break. Thought the young referee had a good game too.

What do they call the Wigan 7? had a great 2nd half

Edited by Cumbrian Fanatic

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Don't suppose you were the Salford fan I spoke to coming out of Leigh bus station were you?

nope,  my wife is the keen Leeds Rhinos fan and hence I'm beginning to become one. I am but maybe was a more keen Saints. Although nowadays I think she has brainwashed me into a rhinos fan.

My forum name is more from my being from Liverpool and a reds fan not as a salford fan.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Sheffield 20 Hull FC 22

Good run out, with the artificial surface meaning no ice issues.

The best part of the day was that it was a triple header, with the wheelchair sides meeting earlier in a 26-26 draw, Hull women beating Sheffield Women by 2 points and a close run thing in the men's friendly. This has to be the way forward. 

Indeed, though hopefully when it is a bit warmer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

yep would agree and I do hope they do well. I'm sure if part of SL they can further build the club in growing commercially and attendances.

20 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

The were very quick the Wigan youngsters with plenty backing up whenever they made a break. Thought the young referee had a good game too.

What do they call the Wigan 7? had a great 2nd half

Logan Astley was number 7. A real classy player and definitely one to watch. Might get a few more opportunities in the first team now Leuluai has retired.

The ref looked about the same age as some of the Wigan youngsters but handled the game well and seemed confident.

• Thanks 1