Ipswich Jets - Western Corridor Team Next?

With the Brisbane Metropolitan area and surrounding areas set for growth in the next 20 years it's recognised within the game that there is the potential for more NRL teams in and around the outskirts of Brisbane. There is no doubt in my mind that the Dolphins over the long haul will be a success, they already have 15,000+ new members and a 32,000 crowd at Suncorp that's a lot of sustained interest in the NRL. What the Dolphins have highlighted is the huge amount of interest there is for the sport in |South east Queensland and in areas like Ipswich and Logan.

I'm of the view that Perth should be strongly considered next time round but there should be some sort of plan to introduce another SE Queensland team and a Brisbane Jets team seems like a good fit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

With the Brisbane Metropolitan area and surrounding areas set for growth in the next 20 years it's recognised within the game that there is the potential for more NRL teams in and around the outskirts of Brisbane. There is no doubt in my mind that the Dolphins over the long haul will be a success, they already have 15,000+ new members and a 32,000 crowd at Suncorp that's a lot of sustained interest in the NRL. What the Dolphins have highlighted is the huge amount of interest there is for the sport in |South east Queensland and in areas like Ipswich and Logan.

I'm of the view that Perth should be strongly considered next time round but there should be some sort of plan to introduce another SE Queensland team and a Brisbane Jets team seems like a good fit. 

They should just remain the Ipswich Jets and keep their identity. Not everything has to be named after the main city in the region. I reckon the Dolphins will eventually adopt the Moreton Bay or Redcliffe name. This is the problem with your club. I would say the Broncos would be a successful club if they stayed in West London and kept a local name.

I would agree that NZ2 is the best option for the game all round, but I'm struggling to see a business case. NZ Warriors have generally struggled on and off the pitch at times and I just don't see enough enthusiasm for RL in NZ, not enough to warrant a second team. 

In what way would they add monetary value to the competition especially when you look at the commercial impact of The Dolphins? 

• Like 2

Perth is the most logical, it has an (albeit small) existing League base, stadium and audience are ready, and importantly opens the door to a whole new, massive corporate market. Plus stretches the time zone for TV spots, if that’s of any interest to the networks. But mainly it’s needed strategically, to kill the “not national” hoodoo once and for all and remove that one remaining competitive edge from the AFL.

Certainly Brisbane 3 and NZ 2 after that though, not sure what order. 

• Like 4

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

I would agree that NZ2 is the best option for the game all round, but I'm struggling to see a business case. NZ Warriors have generally struggled on and off the pitch at times and I just don't see enough enthusiasm for RL in NZ, not enough to warrant a second team. 

In what way would they add monetary value to the competition especially when you look at the commercial impact of The Dolphins? 

Are you kidding me?

The Warriors got 12k for a trial game in Christchurch the other week. Then you’ve got the value of the Sky TV deal and the production line which requires another NZ outlet, as the Warriors cannot keep all promising players. Plus with union on the decline there, it’s such an untapped market. 

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So Perth, Brisbane 3, Wellington, Christchurch, Port Moresby, Adelaide, Central Coast.

Anywhere else? Surely Japan and China must be on the horizon?...

Central Coast will never get a full time team so they can be crossed off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Thought this was going tobe about a new team in Suffolk.. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So Perth, Brisbane 3, Wellington, Christchurch, Port Moresby, Adelaide, Central Coast.

Lets stick to hull mate

10 hours ago, The Daddy said:

We are at least 5 years off having another NRL club, but Ipswich would obviously be in the running with a population of over 200,000 and around 50 miles from Brisbane, and if it was them i would like them to keep the name Ipswich Jets

5 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Anyone know what the Sky TV deal is in NZ and how much its likely to increase with an additional NZ team?

Apparently the NZ Sky TV deal is $160m over 5 years (23 to 27). It is reported that the NRL secured a significant increase from Sky TV up from $94m the previous 5 year deal (18 to 22).

No idea what it would be with another NZ team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Tasmania and Victoria 2. 

I absolutely believe that they can follow the Dolphins model of representing regions.

Where the Dolphins represent north Brisbane, Redcliffe, Moreton, Sunshine Coast, Central QLD.

The Jets can be south Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich Toowoomba.

• Like 1

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

15 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

They should just remain the Ipswich Jets and keep their identity. Not everything has to be named after the main city in the region. I reckon the Dolphins will eventually adopt the Moreton Bay or Redcliffe name. This is the problem with your club. I would say the Broncos would be a successful club if they stayed in West London and kept a local name.

Labelling the Dolphins or Jets NRL clubs as Redcliffe and Ipswich would be a bad idea. It would only marginalise and minimalise their reach. And people from Brisbane (who often don't know any better or haven't a clue) love to make fun of these places.

I'm a north Brisbane boy. And I like both places. But the Broncos already went to work trying to frame the Dolphins as not being a legitimate Brisbane club.  

Well they play 8 games at Lang Park.

This is also why the Dolphins added gold to their colours. To show that there is a difference between the NRL club and the Redcliffe Dolphins, who along with the Central Capras, are feeders to it.

Another interesting thing. The Brisbane Lions training and admin base is now at Springfield, which is part of Ipswich. But they can still be the "Brisbane" Lions. 

Springfield to the Gabba. 31-35mins.

Redcliffe to Lang Park. 37 mins.

This name it after a suburb thing is so NSWRL. Queensland, unfortunately will have very limited chances at fielding NRL clubs. Therefore, we need the Dolphins to represent many people. Like the Dolphins say Central Queensland, the Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay, Brisbane, and right across the Sunshine State." This is a similar concept to what is possible with the Jets.

• Like 1

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

No, this western corridor malarkey seems like over-the-top AFL-scare stuff imo. We don't need to saturate the Brisbane suburbs like Sydney. A second team filling Lang Park on alternate weeks was a great commercial move but I don't see the benefit for any more teams in South Queensland in a modern-day world when people are more able to take a trip into town or watch on TV, or go watch their local lower-grade club if they are so Rugby League mad that two BNE teams ain't enough. The only additional QLD club should be the Falcons in a redeveloped Sunshine Coast Stadium which has been mooted in a potential bid. It's the next biggest QLD urban centre without a current first-grade team, but it isn't the priority.

The next team has to be Perth. And then after that it's a step by step basis to see how it goes in the long term. Personally, my dream league of what would work towards purely out in my own deep dark desires is 1 team in every 300k+ urban centre in Oceania (plus Townsville and minus Honolulu), and multiple teams in the biggest 3 of them to equal:

1 PNG, 2 NZ, 5 QLD (2 BNE), 7 NSW (2 SYD, 2 GWS), 1 ACT, 2 VIC, 1 SA, 1 WA:

1.     Papua New Guinea Hunters (PNG Football Stadium, Port Moresby, PNG)

2.     Auckland Aotearoa Warriors (Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ)

3.     Christchurch Canterbury Bulldogs (Rugby League Park, Christchurch, NZ)

4.     North Queensland Cowboys (North Queensland Stadium, Townsville, QLD)

5.     Sunshine Coast Falcons (Sunshine Coast Stadium [redeveloped], Kawana Waters, QLD)

6.     Brisbane Broncos (Lang Park, Brisbane, QLD)

7.     BNE Dolphins (Lang Park, Brisbane, QLD)

8.     Gold Coast Titans (Robina Stadium, Gold Coast, QLD)

9.     Newcastle Knights (Newcastle International Sports Centre, Newcastle, NSW)

10.  Central Coast Sea Eagles (Central Coast Stadium, Gosford, NSW)

11.  Sydney Roosters (Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney, NSW)

12.  South Sydney Rabbitohs (Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney, NSW)

13.  Parramatta Eels (Western Sydney Stadium, Greater Western Sydney, NSW)

14.  Penrith Panthers (New Penrith Stadium, Greater Western Sydney, NSW)

15.  Illawarra Steelers (Wollongong Showground, Wollongong, NSW)

16.  Canberra Raiders (Canberra Stadium, Bruce, ACT)

17.  Melbourne Storm (Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, Melbourne, VIC)

18.  Melbourne Thunder (Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, Melbourne, VIC)

19.  Adelaide Rams (Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide, SA)

20. Perth Pirates (Perth Oval, Perth, WA)

Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 01.06.10.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

NZ2 next please. 

Yep, has to be. The TV rights would already pay the NRL's side of it. Add in a ready made rivalry and one of the best player factories in the world.

The only thing Perth really offers is the possibility of larger sponsorships. The timezone doesn't even really offer that much.

• Like 3

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, DlEHARD said:

Labelling the Dolphins or Jets NRL clubs as Redcliffe and Ipswich would be a bad idea. It would only marginalise and minimalise their reach. And people from Brisbane (who often don't know any better or haven't a clue) love to make fun of these places.

I'm a north Brisbane boy. And I like both places. But the Broncos already went to work trying to frame the Dolphins as not being a legitimate Brisbane club.  

Well they play 8 games at Lang Park.

This is also why the Dolphins added gold to their colours. To show that there is a difference between the NRL club and the Redcliffe Dolphins, who along with the Central Capras, are feeders to it.

Another interesting thing. The Brisbane Lions training and admin base is now at Springfield, which is part of Ipswich. But they can still be the "Brisbane" Lions. 

Springfield to the Gabba. 31-35mins.

Redcliffe to Lang Park. 37 mins.

This name it after a suburb thing is so NSWRL. Queensland, unfortunately will have very limited chances at fielding NRL clubs. Therefore, we need the Dolphins to represent many people. Like the Dolphins say Central Queensland, the Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay, Brisbane, and right across the Sunshine State." This is a similar concept to what is possible with the Jets.

Of course they can be Brisbane but having three clubs do that is too much.