Is he too old?

12 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Last night my husband went to see Haken at the Academy in Manchester.

He is 63 this year and says it will be his last gig as he is too old.

I say rubbish

I say you're right. Went to see Stiff Little Fingers on Thursday. Me and Jake Burns are the same age as each other. He's still playing and I'm still watching and I don't think either of us plan to give up our part of the bargain any time soon.

• Like 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

In a fair world, a much-loved entertainer should, by late middle age, have enough in the bank* to retire if they want to or carry on if they feel like it.

Unfortunately, artists have gone from being a bit ripped off by the record industry to totally ripped off by the spawn of the internet (streaming services, ticket touts, venues and ticket agencies that demand criminal cuts of the take and the "something for nothing" mentality).

*assuming they haven't piddled it all away by sheer stupidity.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

In a fair world, a much-loved entertainer should, by late middle age, have enough in the bank* to retire if they want to or carry on if they feel like it.

Unfortunately, artists have gone from being a bit ripped off by the record industry to totally ripped off by the spawn of the internet (streaming services, ticket touts, venues and ticket agencies that demand criminal cuts of the take and the "something for nothing" mentality).

Leonard Cohen's remarkable late flowering was entirely down to his accountant stealing his money and Cohen not being able to get it back.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Leonard Cohen's remarkable late flowering was entirely down to his accountant stealing his money and Cohen not being able to get it back.

Sting might also have kicked back and enjoyed the fruits of his labours if his accountant hadn't also absconded with the wonga.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's a good few years since I went to see  a "name" band or artist. I like festivals but I'm not keen on the corporate atmosphere of big-name gigs.

I get far more enjoyment from watching local bands playing in small venues and, particularly, pubs. I'm 68 and have friends and acquaintances between twenties and seventies. It has great social benefits and keeps the bar culture alive.

Maybe, you and your husband should check out the local scene in your town or suburb.

• Like 2

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

14 hours ago, Ullman said:

I say you're right. Went to see Stiff Little Fingers on Thursday. Me and Jake Burns are the same age as each other. He's still playing and I'm still watching and I don't think either of us plan to give up our part of the bargain any time soon.

Agreed. I’m not as active on the gig scene as I once was but still go and don’t see any reason to stop. 

Charlie Harper from the UK Subs is still fronting the band and playing regular gigs at the age of 79 (I think). 

So no, too old my R’s. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

While I agree with the gist of your post (genuinely so) is there any reason why it’s ‘fair’ that someone who is talented at playing a musical instrument or composing songs, should earn enough money to retire at 45, whilst someone whose talent lies in being maybe a fantastic welder or skilled turner should have to keep working until 66/67/68? 

I feel as if I’m being argumentative here as I do agree with you and feel art is not something that should be used by others to make money (aside from the artist) but on the other hand, I know people who play in bands for a living (not famous or likely to ever be so) and are happy to do so. So is it that dreadful to have to keep playing gigs rather than work in Tescos? (Nothing wrong with that btw) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Agreed. I’m not as active on the gig scene as I once was but still go and don’t see any reason to stop. 

Charlie Harper from the UK Subs is still fronting the band and playing regular gigs at the age of 79 (I think). 

So no, too old my R’s. 

Saw them a few months back. They were excellent.

• Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

15 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Last night my husband went to see Haken at the Academy in Manchester.

He is 63 this year and says it will be his last gig as he is too old.

I say rubbish

No , tell him from me (76) he's not too old at only 63. Not even pension age and still younger than the Stones and many others.  

Edited by JohnM

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

While I agree with the gist of your post (genuinely so) is there any reason why it’s ‘fair’ that someone who is talented at playing a musical instrument or composing songs, should earn enough money to retire at 45, whilst someone whose talent lies in being maybe a fantastic welder or skilled turner should have to keep working until 66/67/68? 

I feel as if I’m being argumentative here as I do agree with you and feel art is not something that should be used by others to make money (aside from the artist) but on the other hand, I know people who play in bands for a living (not famous or likely to ever be so) and are happy to do so. So is it that dreadful to have to keep playing gigs rather than work in Tescos? (Nothing wrong with that btw) 

A fair wage for good work, maybe combined with the Universal Basic Income that keeps getting suggested, and that welder could take early retirement too, if he wanted it.

But a lot of it's about what the market supports. A top musician or sports star gets silly amounts of money because the people offering it know they can make even sillier money from the deal and thus afford their services. Of course, when the money-men aren't as smart as they thought they were, it can get very messy indeed. See the Wasps RUFC thread in the cross-code forum for an example.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

It's a good few years since I went to see  a "name" band or artist. I like festivals but I'm not keen on the corporate atmosphere of big-name gigs.

I get far more enjoyment from watching local bands playing in small venues and, particularly, pubs. I'm 68 and have friends and acquaintances between twenties and seventies. It has great social benefits and keeps the bar culture alive.

Maybe, you and your husband should check out the local scene in your town or suburb.

Manchester is the local scene.! Haken is a band he wanted to see for ages. I think he should go for as long as he can stand up

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Manchester is the local scene.! Haken is a band he wanted to see for ages. I think he should go for as long as he can stand up

Also a good carpe diem argument. See your heroes while you can, because you never know how long they will be around and able to perform.

Especially in an industry notorious for shock early deaths like rock music.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 26/03/2023 at 11:14, The Masked Poster said:

So no, too old my R’s. 

Doe's he still do photos with him holding a beer ?....top bloke.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

come to a psychobilly gig - mad sin in york in may - i give as good as i get in the wreckin pit at 55 - at least i think i do 

I couldn't keep up with that stuff now and listen to Radio 3 and Big Band but while we on the Psychobilly chat found a great documentary on YouTube which I bet you have seen already but never less I'm posting it.

• Like 1

Nah he's not too old. I'm 'only' 55 and go to a lot of punk and metal gigs and I fully intend to keep doing so for as long as I'm able to.

At the gigs from older bands there are always loads of folks older than me still loving the music and the atmosphere of a live gig.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

On 26/03/2023 at 11:14, The Masked Poster said:

So no, too old my R’s. 

The Subs are on their final tour but will still do one off gigs after that. Saw them in Manchester in December, and as Charlie sid 'They said it wouldn't last, but I'm still here'

• Thanks 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

On 28/03/2023 at 07:35, Vambo said:

Nah he's not too old. I'm 'only' 55 and go to a lot of punk and metal gigs and I fully intend to keep doing so for as long as I'm able to.

At the gigs from older bands there are always loads of folks older than me still loving the music and the atmosphere of a live gig.

I was at The Skids in Manchester on Saturday and Richard Jobson said it was great to see some younger folk in the audience as it brought the average age down to about 54

• Haha 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand