Attendance thread

I liked St James's Park comfort and welcome for Eng Sam RLWC. If people are after other options, though ... Nottingham? Forest's ground? Lots of pubs near there and not much further for anyone is it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N2022 said:

I liked St James's Park comfort and welcome for Eng Sam RLWC. If people are after other options, though ... Nottingham? Forest's ground? Lots of pubs near there and not much further for anyone is it?

Use both Football grounds ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

There's enough evidence before our eyes that a 60,000 venue is too big.

40,000 would be ideal, looks better on TV,  create a great atmosphere.

Leicester have just been relegated,  could find hosting it appealing and King Power is a nice stadium,  and a good location for fans from all over.

Just asking. Does it matter what it looks like on TV? It's only broadcast places that RL fans will likely be watching, and so there isn't the same need to convince general sports fans it's a big deal. If it were on terrestrial different situation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, N2022 said:

Just asking. Does it matter what it looks like on TV? It's only broadcast places that RL fans will likely be watching, and so there isn't the same need to convince general sports fans it's a big deal. If it were on terrestrial different situation.

I thought one of the reasons for Magic was to showcase RL and entice new fans, if that's not true may as well hold it in the heartlands,  Sheffield possibly or the Etihad.

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

I thought one of the reasons for Magic was to showcase RL and entice new fans, if that's not true may as well hold it in the heartlands,  Sheffield possibly or the Etihad.

Yes, fair point. I was thinking mainly TV but guess there are new / occasional spectators in the ground. But on that point, there is probably be a justification for moving it around more between cities on fringes of / beyond heartlands.

On the topic of attendances rather than locations, I feel fairly certain that attendance figures at Magic will, thanks to the analytical powers of forum contributors, be dissected on here in an effort to show that whatever figure is announced will prove to have been deliberately inflated by SuperLeague.😀

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

On the topic of attendances rather than locations, I feel fairly certain that attendance figures at Magic will, thanks to the analytical powers of forum contributors, be dissected on here in an effort to show that whatever figure is announced will prove to have been deliberately inflated by SuperLeague.😀

The poster asking whether the figure was ticket sales or actual turnout took me back to RLWC...

35 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I find it more like the old Rugby Union 7's they had a Twicker's.

Mind you my favourite Magic was 2015 when you had the Hull Derby with 40000 at the game and it's was surreal it being black and white v red and white but we not talking the Magpies v Mackem's

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

I find it more like the old Rugby Union 7's they had a Twicker's.

Mind you my favourite Magic was 2015 when you had the Hull Derby with 40000 at the game and it's was surreal it being black and white v red and white but we not talking the Magpies v Mackem's

I was at that game and what I remember most about it was the couple of guys I was sat next to. One was a rugby union referee and one a union semi pro player. It was their first time at a RL game and they absolutely loved it. They spent the whole game asking me about decisions the ref made and rules and also asking about the sports history as well. They said they absolutely loved it and there was only one thing they didn't like. That thing was uncontested scrums. However, those two diehard union fans walked away big fans of RL as well. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
Spelling
  • Like 4

Newcastle has been my favourite venue and if crowd numbers are anything to go on it has been a lot of people's favourite. The top 5 single day attendances have all been at Newcastle and 4 of the top 5 weekend attendances have been as well. 

If we're reckoning a 40,000 seater venue is needed, and we were to move to a new location, then there are only really two outside of London that could be looked at, those being Villa Park or one of the big grounds in Glasgow but I don't think anyone would say they were more appealing places than Newcastle. 

• Like 5

Looked like a great day Saturday. Got some catching up to do to watch Sunday’s.

I think Newcastle is kind of getting the strategy right, although I think Sheffield or Manchester could see an improvement. Importantly, the strategy for retaining those newcomers must be right.

So next week, there is no Thursday or Friday night SL on Sky (**edit note: I realise now there is a Friday night game, per my later post). What a missed opportunity that is when the soccer has all finished and the very first weekend after Magic, there’s no matches on the box to watch on Thursday or Friday nights. I hope there is a C4 fixture scheduled on Saturday or Sunday. Saints v Warriors would be the perfect feature fixture to get onto terrestrial TV the Saturday which follows Magic.

So a successful Magic weekend with 60odd thousand fans is a great first step. What are the immediate steps to follow?

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Looked like a great day Saturday. Got some catching up to do to watch Sunday’s.

I think Newcastle is kind of getting the strategy right, although I think Sheffield or Manchester could see an improvement. Importantly, the strategy for retaining those newcomers must be right.

So next week, there is no Thursday or Friday night SL on Sky. What a missed opportunity that is when the soccer has all finished and the very first weekend after Magic, there’s no matches on the box to watch on Thursday or Friday nights. I hope there is a C4 fixture scheduled on Saturday or Sunday. Saints v Warriors would be the perfect feature fixture to get onto terrestrial TV the Saturday which follows Magic.

So a successful Magic weekend with 60odd thousand fans is a great first step. What are the immediate steps to follow?

fri saints  v warriors (sky) sat wolves v giants also live on sky

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, langpark said:

Photo does not match the stated attendance, but ok 

Feels like with the French Final attendance (8k+) and Cats that there is a little momentum over there.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Photo does not match the stated attendance, but ok 

Haha that's an empty ground isn't it? That can't be a pic of the game in question.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Haha that's an empty ground isn't it? That can't be a pic of the game in question.

Correct, neither of the teams on the pitch there are in Toulouse's all white. Its an old pic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

fri saints  v warriors (sky) sat wolves v giants also live on sky

Good call. I notice now I was reading local time, not UK time. Well then that is good to see. Is there a C4 game as well?

Men's State of Origin I Crowd

QLD v NSW - 48,613 (Adelaide)

Women's State of Origin I Crowd

QLD v NSW - 12,972 (Parramatta)

NRL R14 Crowds

Tigers v Raiders - 11201 (Campbelltown)

Warriors v Dolphins - 23686 (Auckland)

Titans v Rabbitohs - 18736 (Gold Coast)

Sharks v Broncos - 12318 (Cronulla)

Roosters v Bulldogs - 18338 (Gosford)

Cowboys v Storm - 18867 (Townsville)

Panthers v Dragons - 16912 (Penrith)