Attendance thread

Interesting to compare RL L1 with RU National L1...it does feel comparable (avg 620 a game with some big differences). Quite interesting that RU L1 has a spread of heartland (Esher, Cambridge) & non heartland (Leeds, Darlington) clubs. Attendances here suggests, to me at least, that outside of football where a sport has a teired system its hard to get punters through the door at the lower levels. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Interesting to compare RL L1 with RU National L1...it does feel comparable (avg 620 a game with some big differences). Quite interesting that RU L1 has a spread of heartland (Esher, Cambridge) & non heartland (Leeds, Darlington) clubs. Attendances here suggests, to me at least, that outside of football where a sport has a teired system its hard to get punters through the door at the lower levels. 

I wouldn't say it was particularly accurate to call Cambridge 'heartland' vs say Leeds, tbh. In over 20 years in Cambridge I would say interest and knowledge of club RU among locals is/was close to zero. They have seating for 200 people in the clubhouse and no other spectator facilities. The ground is tucked away in between the sports facilities of several colleges. They have worked hard to get attendance figures up to the current 400+ and have put a lot of effort into the kids section, women's rugby, walking rugby etc. and that leads to sponsorships, more volunteers etc. 

Leeds OTOH is a merger of clubs with quite a bit of RU history - headingley and roundhay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Tell me Dav, why do you choose to travel 130 miles to Wigan?

You know Leigh are in a pretty condensed area for Professional Rugby League clubs and historically well behind Wigan, Saints and Wire in popularity, I should imagine people from those towns would support their local team other than go to watch a near neighbour, albeit I do know Leigh people who do go to those towns to support those teams, most probably doing so at a time it was convenient to hitch a lift on their bandwagons. 

Cos he can get off the train and walk to the ground 

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Surely Superleague clubs should be looking further afield than their town boundaries to attract fans to games.

True but then that's the argument against  Leigh, encircled by higher profile clubs in Wigan, Saints, Salford and Warrington.

Saints should do more to move west into merseyside and Wigan should try harder than they do north. Salford have a hard task drumming up support in Salford let alone move into other areas but then will get moaned at off Swinton etc.

39 minutes ago, JonM said:

I wouldn't say it was particularly accurate to call Cambridge 'heartland' vs say Leeds, tbh. In over 20 years in Cambridge I would say interest and knowledge of club RU among locals is/was close to zero. They have seating for 200 people in the clubhouse and no other spectator facilities. The ground is tucked away in between the sports facilities of several colleges. They have worked hard to get attendance figures up to the current 400+ and have put a lot of effort into the kids section, women's rugby, walking rugby etc. and that leads to sponsorships, more volunteers etc. 

Leeds OTOH is a merger of clubs with quite a bit of RU history - headingley and roundhay.

Fair point...I did wonder when I typed it TBH. I think Cambridge are top of the league but interesting that their attendances aren't that high in a city (I would have thought) would have some interest in the sport. Suggests that it is hard to break through but also puts 'success' of RL ex-expansion teams like Oxford and All Golds in perspective.

54 minutes ago, yipyee said:

True but then that's the argument against  Leigh, encircled by higher profile clubs in Wigan, Saints, Salford and Warrington.

Saints should do more to move west into merseyside and Wigan should try harder than they do north. Salford have a hard task drumming up support in Salford let alone move into other areas but then will get moaned at off Swinton etc.

There hasn’t been a thread about Liverpool for a while, so what more do you think Saints should do to make inroads there? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

There hasn’t been a thread about Liverpool for a while, so what more do you think Saints should do to make inroads there? 

Anything would be an improvement on the little they do now, and when I say Liverpool Prescot Rainhill and Whiston would be a good start

29 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Anything would be an improvement on the little they do now, and when I say Liverpool Prescot Rainhill and Whiston would be a good start

Saints already have a few fans from this places tbf. But if you’re talking Liverpool itself, it’s not worth them wasting their time and money imho. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Saints already have a few fans from this places tbf. But if you’re talking Liverpool itself, it’s not worth them wasting their time and money imho. 

A few fans,oh well job done then.

You are talking about the World Club champions & the team that has won the last 4 Grand Finals & you think they shouldn’t bother trying to make inroads into their nearest big city.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

A few fans,oh well job done then.

You are talking about the World Club champions & the team that has won the last 4 Grand Finals & you think they shouldn’t bother trying to make inroads into their nearest big city.

I do think that yes, it would be a waste of time and money, I doubt many people in Huyton even know they exist and that’s not even as far as Liverpool. Places like Ormskirk and Maghull might be better to go at. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I do think that yes, it would be a waste of time and money, I doubt many people in Huyton even know they exist and that’s not even as far as Liverpool. Places like Ormskirk and Maghull might be better to go at. 

Agreed, spread out from st helens instead of trying to make big jumps.

They should try to engage with the schools and look to start junior clubs.

Training at edge hill is at least a start in the eight direction

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

The problem you have is that the people in those areas, indeed frequently in RL towns that are satellites of bigger cities, increasingly aren't "locals". They've moved from the local big city to settle down in cheaper family housing for work.

This is why greater awareness in key population centres is critical. They drive cultural trends.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The problem you have is that the people in those areas, indeed frequently in RL towns that are satellites of bigger cities, increasingly aren't "locals". They've moved from the local big city to settle down in cheaper family housing for work.

This is why greater awareness in key population centres is critical. They drive cultural trends.

Agreed on principle, but I’m afraid Liverpool is so obsessed with football, and a derision of anything ‘wool’, that RL will never be on the radar. At least people who’ve moved out to the smaller towns have got over the wool part, which is a massive barrier gone. 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed on principle, but I’m afraid Liverpool is so obsessed with football, and a derision of anything ‘wool’, that RL will never be on the radar. At least people who’ve moved out to the smaller towns have got over the wool part, which is a massive barrier gone. 

Oh how rugby league,it’s hard so let’s not bother.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, EssexRL said:

The main difference between the two codes is the amount of money. RU L1 clubs budgets are astonishing in comparison to RL L1. The fact that RL on the whole has much better spectator facilities and higher average crowds is quite remarkable and demonstrates how unsustainable RU is. 

Let's hope that L1 gets offered more support so we can strengthen the lowest tier in the pyramid 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Let's hope that L1 gets offered more support so we can strengthen the lowest tier in the pyramid 

Totally agree. L1 matters and has so much potential, but needs investment.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

Plenty of people in Liverpool watch sky games and take a passing interest. But don't support one single side. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Plenty of people in Liverpool watch sky games and take a passing interest. But don't support one single side. 

Must admit I’ve known hundreds of scousers and I can think of one who’s interested in RL, and he now lives in Widnes. But yes maybe some do passively watch. 

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Must admit I’ve known hundreds of scousers and I can think of one who’s interested in RL, and he now lives in Widnes. But yes maybe some do passively watch. 

I worked in the centre for 18yrs prior COVID and spoke to hundreds every week and lots when they knew you were a RL fan talked about Saints, Warrington and Wigan and referred to the sky games. A few would go to the odd game.

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I worked in the centre for 18yrs prior COVID and spoke to hundreds every week and lots when they knew you were a RL fan talked about Saints, Warrington and Wigan and referred to the sky games. A few would go to the odd game.

Fair enough, not my experience but I’m pleased to hear it 👍