Attendance thread

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Bella Emberg cheerleading. 

Won't be hard to find a troupe of women who look like her amongst the Wigan fanbase 🤣

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Our fan base is just far to low, RL needs the England brand playing 4/5 matches at home every year (At least 3 matches outside of the heartlands)  to build a more national fan base.

It is going to be interesting to see what the crowds will be for the Tonga matches.

Cue my rants on Cross Codes.

23 hours ago, yipyee said:

So a home game followed by an away game (potentially in france) and then a final, thats a lot of money 3 weeks on the bounce 

Yes I get that .....

But if you are genuinely struggling for money then surely choose the cheapest one....the home fixture 

If someone can afford to go and follow Wigan in France then quite frankly they aren't part of this affordability debate 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes I get that .....

But if you are genuinely struggling for money then surely choose the cheapest one....the home fixture 

If someone can afford to go and follow Wigan in France then quite frankly they aren't part of this affordability debate 

If you are a family struggling for money, you save up for the one the kids are going to remember for years. With all the will in the world, that’s always going to be watching the semi for free at home and go to the final. If they don’t get there then it’s an upgrade from beans on toast to sausage & beans on toast. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spidey said:

RL fans seem to go out of their way not to attend games

A member of our non playing staff once told me that our fans find reasons not to go to games as opposed to reasons they can't, i agree, they use all sorts of 'excuses' to not attend, really weird.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If you are a family struggling for money, you save up for the one the kids are going to remember for years. With all the will in the world, that’s always going to be watching the semi for free at home and go to the final. If they don’t get there then it’s an upgrade from beans on toast to sausage & beans on toast. 

It can be argued if you are REALLY struggling for money you don't go at all 

Any argument can be made at any angle here if we are talking hypothetically 

Putting genuine financially challenged people aside......I'd wager one thing for sure that there are a LOT of Wigan fans who CHOOSE not to attend the semi .....be that on principle that it's "not included in the season ticket" or whatever 

One thing is for sure that a poor turn out from their fans at the DW will affect their teams chances 

I was at the semi last year and it felt more like a Leeds home game.....3000 passionately singing Leeds fans drowned out what was a quiet, sparsely populated Wigan crowd (many of whom were *****ing leaving with 15 minutes left which was astounding 

It may well have been the difference that got an unlikely Leeds victory

Wigan may be so strong this year iyt may not matter but maybe a lot of fans not turning up again may cost them AGAIN 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daz39 said:

A member of our non playing staff once told me that our fans find reasons not to go to games as opposed to reasons they can't, i agree, they use all sorts of 'excuses' to not attend, really weird.

I can understand that point of view. However, I think it is up to the clubs themselves to provide reasons for fans to attend in person. Having a decent crowd isn't a right, it's a responsibility. Build it and they will come? Only if it's worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know a lot of clubs don’t announce attendances after matches, but League Express this week is reporting that the Championship averaged 1,994 this year, up from 1,830 last year. That’s great news, particularly compared to Yawnion’s second tier who mustered 1,336 last season. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 04/10/2023 at 19:30, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes I get that .....

No you wouldn't choose the cheapest you would choose the big game ie the final. 

Why watch an earlier round when you have been watching all year building for the final.

Don't make the final then its cash in the bank towards next year's ST or maybe go an international game.

Home game vs OT with the razzmatazz, build up, band, anthems , trophy celebrations, fireworks etc...

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I know a lot of clubs don’t announce attendances after matches, but League Express this week is reporting that the Championship averaged 1,994 this year, up from 1,830 last year. That’s great news, particularly compared to Yawnion’s second tier who mustered 1,336 last season. 

So toulouse increased attendances vs leigh last year, interesting...

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

No you wouldn't choose the cheapest you would choose the big game ie the final. 

Home game 

Transport costs (probably zero) + £25 = £25

Old Trafford 

Transport cost from Wigan to Old Trafford (train say £15 and taxi £10?) + £30 cheapest ticket = £55

For someone who is really struggling £30 is a lot of money so maybe they'd take the first option 

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Home game 

Old Trafford 

Transport cost from Wigan to Old Trafford (train say £15 and taxi £10?) + £30 cheapest ticket = £55

For someone who is really struggling £30 is a lot of money so maybe they'd take the first option 

It costs no where near that to go from Wigan to Old Trafford and for some people the difference would be negligible. 

It is quite obvious why fans who are struggling would prioritise a final over a semi final. People have done that for as long as I can remember.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Home game 

Old Trafford 

The issue was going to both not one...

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Overall average attendance is up, so it dispels the myth of what do French clubs bring.

What was Toulouse average out of interest?

It dispels literally nothing, you've just decided that without any further look into it.

If Widnes saw an increased attendance Vs York this year compared to last, it has nothing to do with Toulouse.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2023 at 22:49, Leyther_Matt said:

I don't know why kids in Wigan want to go all the way to Manchester to watch Hull KR beat Catalans. I mean I know they all still love Sam Tomkins, but surely not that much? 

• Haha 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 hours ago, Click said:

It dispels literally nothing, you've just decided that without any further look into it.

If Widnes saw an increased attendance Vs York this year compared to last, it has nothing to do with Toulouse.

Of course it does haha, French clubs don't travel and bring smaller crowds etc... Leigh have a great following etc...

Average attendance for the league is higher with toulouse rather than Leigh. Proves that toulouse / French clubs raise average attendances rather than reduce them and are an asset to the comps

9 hours ago, Damien said:

It costs no where near that to go from Wigan to Old Trafford and for some people the difference would be negligible. 

It is quite obvious why fans who are struggling would prioritise a final over a semi final. People have done that for as long as I can remember.

They aren't in the final 

Same as exactly this time last year when they also were not in the final 

Genuine question.....how.much from Wigan to Old Trafford....let's say from the DW

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They aren't in the final 

Same as exactly this time last year when they also were not in the final 

Genuine question.....how.much from Wigan to Old Trafford....let's say from the DW

Well that is obvious. Wigan fans obviously know there is a chance they may lose.

I could book a return to Manchester today for £4 with the right times. An open return would be £7.50 if I wanted to splash out. Then a tram to Old Trafford for £3.50. So it is very doable for a total cost of £7.50.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well that is obvious. Wigan fans obviously know there is a chance they may lose.

I could book a return to Manchester today for £4 with the right times. An open return would be £7.50 if I wanted to splash out. Then a tram to Old Trafford for £3.50. So it is very doable for a total cost of £7.50.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

£7.50 return and then tran is return too at £3.50?. £11?

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Of course it does haha, French clubs don't travel and bring smaller crowds etc... Leigh have a great following etc...

Average attendance for the league is higher with toulouse rather than Leigh. Proves that toulouse / French clubs raise average attendances rather than reduce them and are an asset to the comps

As noted on here a thousand times over the years, games against Catalans, Toulouse and previously London are generally swamped with comps. Not necessarily a negative if it gives people the opportunity to attend a game who might not normally get the chance, but let’s not try and translate it in to foreign teams = good, small northern towns = bad

• Thanks 1