Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

Encouraging reports from Down Under, where they seem almost suspiciously well prepared for this development.

My ideal would be Oceania 2025 - Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, PNG, Samoa and Tonga. This is probably what should have happened anyway, in hindsight. Fits with the NRL’s strategy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, eal said:

Hopefully the 2025 tournament is awarded to Australia/NZ and a format is devised that actually means Australia, New Zealand, and England are guaranteed of meeting at some point in the tournament. For all the hype around the 2022 tournament, it was a great disappointment that England never played either.

Because they weren’t good enough? Fixed draws so that certain teams are guaranteed to meet each other aren’t for me personally. 

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Because they weren’t good enough? Fixed draws so that certain teams are guaranteed to meet each other aren’t for me personally. 

I've moved my position on whether there will be a World Cup and now think there will be.

It'll make 2017 look amazing but we are where we are.

And there is no way Australia are hosting without sorting the draw so that they are guaranteed the games that TV and spectators will turn up for.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, corkonian77 said:

Bleak day. 

France will go to Australia and get their usual ritual humilation. 

The likes of Ireland will have their games shown at 9 Am in the moring on a Friday or Saturday. 

The only winners today are the Pacific Islanders teams.

That’s more than 33% of the competing nations. More winners than losers you might say.

11 hours ago, bbfaz said:

This was Australia's World Cup.  They tried to pie it off on the US & Canada and then France.  As the biggest and richest NGB, they need to step up and stop shirking responsibility.

9 hours ago, Pie tries said:

Yep. Our game - certainly the international game - relies on Aus stepping up to their responsibilities…

See @Damien, you were the first to come up with such a ludicrous suggestion of the NRL denying their responsibilities to Rugby League by allowing other nations to bid to host the WC. Now this ludicrous suggestion of yours is starting to gather momentum.

I ask you @bbfaz, when Moore Sports bid to host 2021 and the IRL placed them as provisional 2025 hosts after such a “strong bid”, what would you have had the NRL do? Bid against them? I think we were all excited by the prospect of a US WC. 

Had the NRL bid, you and those with the same sentiments as you would be claiming the NRL only want International RL on their terms and are not willing to allow any other governor to explore markets that they also have their eyes on.

I’ve seen multiple comments recently demonising the NRL for the lack of international fixture organisation taking place, yet they are the same organisation planning one, maybe two, Tri Nation test series at the end of this year, including up to six different test playing nations.

The NRL is always in a no win situation with many on this forum.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think we were all excited by the prospect of a US WC. 

Nah. I think the smart people in the room were always asking how a country with no rugby league infrastructure and multiple warring proto-NGBs would ever host a tournament.

So, yes, the other boards and the IRL should have voted against it.

I'll cut them a bit more slack with France but only a bit. It seems the financial side of that, from what is being said now, was always, at best, fanciful.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

yet they are the same organisation planning one, maybe two, Tri Nation test series at the end of this year, including up to six different test playing nations.

You keep saying this but why hasn’t it been confirmed? We’re already half way through May and nothing has been said by the NRL, or whoever is organising these events, for months. The NRL have bigger fish (in their view) to fry with their eyes cast Vegas way IMO. A two year lead up to a WC will be a breeze compared to five minutes for a Tri Nations.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gomersall said:

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/articles/2269/irl-statement-on-france-2025-withdrawal

The IRL board will now consider other options for RLWC2025 while continuing work to finalise international fixtures for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.  The IRL expects to be able to advise member nations of planned qualifying matches or alternative fixtures after July 2023.  

IRL chair Troy Grant added : “The board meets face to face in July and we will then be able to determine together our next steps forward and consider the other bids we have received for not only 2025, but 2029, 2033 and World Cup 9s events in the future. 

“Exciting international content for 2023 and 2024, in addition to the recent historic Tongan tour to England, will be announced publicly shortly, which will be the front end of our much needed and highly anticipated calendar.”  

"highly anticipated calendar" yes.. anticipated for about 20 years when we were supposed to get a 12-15 year calendar IIRC!!! jeez its not hard to get these things done.. pretty much any other sport you wish to think of has an international plan.. yes there are adhoc matches thrown in but that weekend is normally already "TBC" in the calendar with the weekend put to one side. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, N2022 said:

So, BBC report suggests Aus and/or NZ will take on the hosting of this in 2026. I am interested to know if people think that is likely. I genuinely wonder how bothered they - Aus especially - are about international RL, and with the women's and wheelchair to factor in too, they might feel (not my view, I am keen to add) it's a lot of work for something that doesn't appeal to them. Thoughts?

As long as one of them host it not both plus PNG as was the case in '17, not a good situation for the England fans being in Aus then travelling to Auckland for the semi then back to Brisbane for the final, that was after a schedule that was in sequence Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, and if memory serves correct the warm up game was v CAS in Perth, far to much travelling and so expensive.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As long as one of them host it not both plus PNG as was the case in '17, not a good situation for the England fans being in Aus then travelling to Auckland for the semi then back to Brisbane for the final, that was after a schedule that was in sequence Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, and if memory serves correct the warm up game was v CAS in Perth, far to much travelling and so expensive.

While i totally understand.. sadly i think thats the least of the problems at the moment.. just need to make sure we get it on

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, RP London said:

"highly anticipated calendar" yes.. anticipated for about 20 years when we were supposed to get a 12-15 year calendar IIRC!!! jeez its not hard to get these things done.. pretty much any other sport you wish to think of has an international plan.. yes there are adhoc matches thrown in but that weekend is normally already "TBC" in the calendar with the weekend put to one side. 

I agree mate but the big 3 don’t help. They continually go off at tangents and when they do organise something like the 4N there’s nothing in it for the IRL. The only income the IRL get (I think) is from any WC profits. They don’t even own the proverbial pot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

See @Damien, you were the first to come up with such a ludicrous suggestion of the NRL denying their responsibilities to Rugby League by allowing other nations to bid to host the WC. Now this ludicrous suggestion of yours is starting to gather momentum.

Obsessed. You just cant move on. Other people have long said the same. I'm flattered you think I have so much influence. Maybe others simply can look at things without rose tinted spectacles and objectively look at what happens.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, N2022 said:

Wow. Although only an occasional spectator and more general sports fan - attended 3 RLWC games in the autumn, and have been to Rhinos a few times too - I am pretty gutted for the sport at learning this. I observed on here around RLWC that lack of structured international programme in between World Cups is a barrier to attracting more fans to the game. Missing a World Cup is a different level, though, and really doesn't do the sport's image any favours at all. Other sports have had to relocate / postpone some big tournaments - cancel in covid times - but the thought that noone is likely to pick up the hosting says something about the attitude to the international game.

Exactly, Melbourne radio and TV hasn't failed to inform everyone the tournament is off. Been mentioned all day.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RP London said:

It's practically what was said back in October when the IRL had 3 days of meetings in Manchester to sort out tge international calendar. As per usual its just all talk.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It's practically what was said back in October when the IRL had 3 days of meetings in Manchester to sort out tge international calendar. As per usual its just all talk.

Don't overlook the fact that when IRL get together it involves an holiday for some and a pay cheque for all, why do they even have to physically meet Video Conferencing is so easy to do.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I agree mate but the big 3 don’t help. They continually go off at tangents and when they do organise something like the 4N there’s nothing in it for the IRL. The only income the IRL get (I think) is from any WC profits. They don’t even own the proverbial pot. 

totally agree but if all the IRL did was get people to nail this stuff down in advance rather than 3 months before it happens that would be a massive step forward. 

13 hours ago, bbfaz said:

This was Australia's World Cup.  They tried to pie it off on the US & Canada and then France.  As the biggest and richest NGB, they need to step up and stop shirking responsibility.

IRL board member V'landys is too busy getting gambling money from the Yanks to worry what is going on in RL internationally....it's pathetic really how this clown has infiltrated our game. 

Edited by rlno1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Encouraging reports from Down Under, where they seem almost suspiciously well prepared for this development.

My ideal would be Oceania 2025 - Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, PNG, Samoa and Tonga. This is probably what should have happened anyway, in hindsight. Fits with the NRL’s strategy.

I can live with that and lets look to France for 2033 the centenary of the game there.

Edited by rlno1

10 minutes ago, RP London said:

totally agree but if all the IRL did was get people to nail this stuff down in advance rather than 3 months before it happens that would be a massive step forward. 

It doesn't even matter when they do. I've seen enough 10 year plans and calendars by the IRL/RLIF to last a lifetime. They never happen. Then the Aussies come up with their own 6 months after those, different to the one they have already agreed upon, to pretend they are doing something. That never happens either.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It doesn't even matter when they do. I've seen enough 10 year plans and calendars by the IRL/RLIF to last a lifetime. They never happen. Then the Aussies come up with their own 6 months after those, different to the one they have already agreed upon, to pretend they are doing something. That never happens either.

oh indeed.. even if they came up with a 3 year plan I will only believe it when it gets to the end of it and it actually happened. 

Is it beyond the wit of man to say that the northern hemisphere (meaning the U.K.) and the southern hemisphere (meaning Australia and New Zealand) simply rotate who holds the World Cup on a four year cycle.

You could even give the French a couple of group matches, play England outside the heartlands and do something for Wales too.

As for the Australians and New Zealand, I’d leave it up to them to know best how to make their local arrangements.

It was ambitious to try and stretch out to France and the USA - we now know it was reckless really although it sounded good on paper.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is it beyond the wit of man to say that the northern hemisphere (meaning the U.K.) and the southern hemisphere (meaning Australia and New Zealand) simply rotate who holds the World Cup on a four year cycle.

You could even give the France a couple of group matches, play England outside the heartlands and do something for Wales too.

As for the Australians and New Zealand, I’d leave it up to them to know best how to make their local arrangements.

It was ambitious to try and stretch out to France and the USA - we now know it was reckless really although it sounded good on paper.

That is essentially the accepted norm and has been since 2000. That changed when the USA bid and no one else showed any inclination to host 2025.

• Like 1