Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

I think the major thing people miss when thinking about Aus, is that International Sport is not the same as it is in Europe \ Asia.  Its more like the US like this.   For instance Aussie rules does not have any Internation game at all.

I don't think the NRL needs an international game, and I don't think Aus players are that bothered about it either. Unlike the RFL which really does need it

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Are they ever?

A genuine Q then: what are the lessons?

Mine would be:

• Never trust the French Rugby League with anything more demanding than crayons
  • Pile 'em high is a broken model - split the World Cup tournaments up
  • Don't announce your tournament until everything is in place to host it, with contingencies in place to cover it when Workington elect some nutters who object to new stadiums
  • Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Is this the legacy of the 2021 RLWC and the decisions to flood the heartlands with games, poor stadium choices and pricing?

Those poor crowds can't have helped when it comes to persuading the French Government that the 2025 RLWC was an event worth paying for and that it would lead to a flood of economic benefit from tourism.

• Like 5

Genuine question because I have a fair idea but I'm curious.  How much does it cost to stage the tournament?  What's the shortfall?  Can't we have a whipround?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Genuine question. What do the IRL do and what authority do they have over RL federations?

None whatsoever over the Aussies, Kiwis or English in my opinion. How we ever break this mentality is anyone’s guess. If the IRL tried to pull any of the three into line they’d just laugh at them and do their own thing.

3 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

None whatsoever over the Aussies, Kiwis or English in my opinion. How we ever break this mentality is anyone’s guess. If the IRL tried to pull any of the three into line they’d just laugh at them and do their own thing.

In Europe, everything that is organised for (France and) tier 2 is done by the ERL. So, again, I don't know where or how the IRL fits there.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So that to me sounds like it isn't a case of the French Government pulling funding, as per the initial post, but more that the organisers haven't been able to uphold their side and raise the required funding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Damien said:

So that to me sounds like it isn't a case of the French Government pulling funding, as per the initial post, but more that the organisers haven't been able to uphold their side and raise the required funding.

That was hinted at strongly by at least one of the French posters on here.

What a disaster for French RL and RL in general. Let's face it though if international RL is an afterthought most of the time then raising funding is just going to become more and more challenging. Sadly this will be the end of larger world cups and opportunities for countries like Greece and Jamaica to put themselves on the map. 

• Like 2

Totally gutted (However have been expecting this for several weeks now) in fact in a way i feel that one has been put out of ones misery.

Forgot England hosting it (The recent one was a car crash financially) which I expect will eventually come out.

Onwards and upwards and already looking forward to Tonga:)

Paul 

So it's off then, get whatever is to replace it organised soon - if that is the case - preferably in the SH then I have got an Holiday to look forward to, for me a 3 match series against Australia by either GB (still the iconic brand for me) or England, but in time honoured RL fashion they will probably wait till 3 months before it is to start before announcing it is to go ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/articles/2269/irl-statement-on-france-2025-withdrawal

The IRL board will now consider other options for RLWC2025 while continuing work to finalise international fixtures for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.  The IRL expects to be able to advise member nations of planned qualifying matches or alternative fixtures after July 2023.  

IRL chair Troy Grant added : “The board meets face to face in July and we will then be able to determine together our next steps forward and consider the other bids we have received for not only 2025, but 2029, 2033 and World Cup 9s events in the future. 

“Exciting international content for 2023 and 2024, in addition to the recent historic Tongan tour to England, will be announced publicly shortly, which will be the front end of our much needed and highly anticipated calendar.”  

30 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I can’t quite work out who’s at fault here:

Vicious circle. Local councils budgets have been cut so they can’t afford the hosting fees. Which means the organisers can’t fulfill the financial guarantees they gave the French government. Which means the government won’t provide the necessary additional funding.

Were the hosting fees too high ? Were the guarantees given by the organisers unrealistic ? Questions need to be asked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally