Who partners Farnworth

On 22/05/2023 at 16:11, northamptoncougar said:

This Newman conundrum is interesting. I’m comfortable with the mistake & he’ll learn from it but he is petulant & I think he’s probably had too much smoke blown up him.

His family are all over SM and will possibly read, their argument is “he’s young, he’s developing, he’s still learning,” which is fair enough but you then look at Farnworth who’s the same age and truly a gun, a world class centre.

Maybe Newman should try the NRL, he’ll sink or swim but he’d definitely mature.

Whats a gun

On 21/05/2023 at 20:13, JM2010 said:

Farnworth has one of the centre positions nailed down for the Tonga series. Who plays the other centre?

A lot say that Newman is the best English centre in SL and he should be in the England side. I agree he’s a great talent but is Wardle better? He was yesterday

Won't Newman just play by himself as usual?

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Do we have any other centres coming through. Maybe not for the Tonga series but for the possible, potential WC that might be happening somewhere other than France

Corey Hall is a future international, in my opinion. Big, strong, smooth, can score and can create.

England have a raft of left centres (Percival, Wardle, Herbie) and not enough right centres, from what I can make out.

I'm not terribly keen on shifting players across. I think Wardle is much better when playing on the left side. On form, it might be him. Instinctively though, I'd prefer to have someone who is an out-and-out right centre play.

Edited by StandOffHalf

58 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

England have a raft of left centres (Percival, Wardle, Herbie) and not enough right centres, from what I can make out.

I'm not terribly keen on shifting players across. I think Wardle is much better when playing on the left side. On form, it might be him. Instinctively though, I'd prefer to have someone who is an out-an-out right centre play.

Newman is a natural right centre (and the best in SL IMO even with his flaws)

But it seems one bad decision and you’re written off ;-)

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

But it seems one bad decision and you’re written off 😉

He's definitely in the mix as far as I am concerned. I would though have some concerns about having both centres where passing isn't a strongpoint.

40 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Funny how Wardle is now touted as a definite England centre but when he was a Huddersfield player it was almost a stupid suggestion despite us lot telling everyone how good he was.

Wardle has been in the conversation for the last 3 years as far as I remember. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

But it seems one bad decision and you’re written off 😉

Just checking. Is the one bad decision you mention the one bad decision in the first half or the one bad decision in the second half?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Just checking. Is the one bad decision you mention the one bad decision in the first half or the one bad decision in the second half?

Well he scored the first one.

I actually think in all the Newman bashing people are underestimating how good French was defensively in that second play.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Well he scored the first one.

I actually think in all the Newman bashing people are underestimating how good French was defensively in that second play.

To be honest my post was actually just a bit of fun.  But he was lucky to score the first one as it was a poor decision.

I have tipped Newman on here to be the best centre in the English game and one of the best in the world for the last 5 years.  I very much hope he gets his head down, works hard on his game and filfils his potential. 

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest my post was actually just a bit of fun.  But he was lucky to score the first one as it was a poor decision.

I have tipped Newman on here to be the best centre in the English game and one of the best in the world for the last 5 years.  I very much hope he gets his head down, works hard on his game and filfils his potential. 

Me too, he’s got all the talent and passion he just needs to channel it in a better way sometimes.

53 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Funny how Wardle is now touted as a definite England centre but when he was a Huddersfield player it was almost a stupid suggestion despite us lot telling everyone how good he was.

In fairness Huddersfield weren’t picking him last season, to the point he was loaned out, so people weren’t going to be shouting from the rooftops during that period. Prior to that I’ve seen his name mentioned in parts but he was young and some injuries held him back. 

I’ll be honest, before Saturday I wouldn’t have been shouting to get him in the England team. He’s had what I’d call a ‘decent’ start for us but that was his first exceptional game and it’s left me wanting to see more of that. He’s all class for sure and has a bit of everything about him and I think it’s just confidence really that needs building, so the standard from Saturday becomes the norm. He seems a really quiet lad, so hopefully he can have that belief about him. 

• Like 1

A lot being made of decisions Newman made with ball in hand for his first try and the break in the second half where he didn't score. That can be discussed endlessly and probe Bly will be.

Trouble is his defence. See how he defends his try line against Wigan's attack with 5 mins to half time. Wigan worked the ball left to French who ran straight at Newman and simply pushed him out of the way then put the ball down over the line.

I don't think anyone will consider that good enough defending for SL never mind Intl Rugby. Shaun Wane will be having a word with Harry and tell him what he needs to work on before he selects him for England.

To partner Herbie Farnworth at present has to be Toby King as right centre.

22 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

A lot being made of decisions Newman made with ball in hand for his first try and the break in the second half where he didn't score. That can be discussed endlessly and probe Bly will be.

Trouble is his defence. See how he defends his try line against Wigan's attack with 5 mins to half time. Wigan worked the ball left to French who ran straight at Newman and simply pushed him out of the way then put the ball down over the line.

I don't think anyone will consider that good enough defending for SL never mind Intl Rugby. Shaun Wane will be having a word with Harry and tell him what he needs to work on before he selects him for England.

To partner Herbie Farnworth at present has to be Toby King as right centre.

On the flip side watch last years game against wigan where Newman hammered french and field both in attack and defence. 

He isn’t the first or the last player French has made to look soft in defence, in fact the week before french scored with 3 leeds players on him.

He had a poor game overall on Saturday but has got plenty time this year to make amends.

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

Right at the top 

19 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

I haven’t watched much NRL, how good is Farnworth in the pecking order of centres in the league? 

Agree with the DavidM above, right at the top. I think he's a better and more consistent centre than Joey Manu - quicker and more elusive. As a Broncos fan, I'm gutted he's going to the Dolphins next year. He is good now, but still improving too. 

To the original question, I think for this year they should have both Wardle and Newman in the squad and select on end of season form at the time - simple as that. They're both good players. I think Newman has more promise, but Wardle more experience and polish.

Dom Young is one for the future in the centres and could easily be a top liner there, but needs to move there at club level first obviously. Another possible future option is Will Pryce? He might get a bit bigger in time, and it's hard to see him playing 1 or 6 for Newcastle next year.

Edited by ghost crayfish

23 hours ago, WN83 said:

In fairness Huddersfield weren’t picking him last season, to the point he was loaned out, so people weren’t going to be shouting from the rooftops during that period. Prior to that I’ve seen his name mentioned in parts but he was young and some injuries held him back. 

I’ll be honest, before Saturday I wouldn’t have been shouting to get him in the England team. He’s had what I’d call a ‘decent’ start for us but that was his first exceptional game and it’s left me wanting to see more of that. He’s all class for sure and has a bit of everything about him and I think it’s just confidence really that needs building, so the standard from Saturday becomes the norm. He seems a really quiet lad, so hopefully he can have that belief about him. 

He was injured then sulked because he didn't walk back in the side, hence he decided he no longer wanted to be a Huddersfield player so we moved him on at his wish.

He's an excellent player and one of the most naturally talented players i've seen in Claret and Gold.

On 24/05/2023 at 19:14, daz39 said:

He was injured then sulked because he didn't walk back in the side, hence he decided he no longer wanted to be a Huddersfield player so we moved him on at his wish.

He's an excellent player and one of the most naturally talented players i've seen in Claret and Gold.

Question for you, based on how bad we have been at kicking goals for a decade now! How does Wardle look kicking? Thought I recalled him having a go at some point, so checked his record and he’s kicked 10 in his career. That’s 10 more than we look like booting over currently! 

Presume he looks like a young Mal Maninga? 

5 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Question for you, based on how bad we have been at kicking goals for a decade now! How does Wardle look kicking? Thought I recalled him having a go at some point, so checked his record and he’s kicked 10 in his career. That’s 10 more than we look like booting over currently! 

He was a great goalkicker in his Academy days and is a more than capable kicker, can't do any worse can he?

14 hours ago, WN83 said:

Herbie Farnworth is a more than competent kicker. He was a regular kicker with Norths Devils before he broke into the Broncos side. Has kicked a few for Brisbane as a back up kicker. 

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/herbie-farnworth/summary.html

Edited by burnleywelsh