Sun 4th Jun: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Leigh Leopards KO 12:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Leigh Leopards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/06/23 at 11:30

2 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

If you have been watching the game for 60 years as I have, how can you forget the Alex Murphy coached teams of 70/1 and 81/2, both composed of English players, especially the latter made up of local lads. Don’t forget they won the Top

league with only 5 losses. They did play scintillating rugby too. John Woods and Des Drummond cannot be bettered by the present incumbents.

Having said that, this team is the best one since then with an honourable mention to the 2 promoted squads of 2016 and 2022.

Not to diminish any of the them achievements, and for the record I have not been watching anywhere near that long. We have to look at the level of competition and the fact that players are more accessible to other areas/teams in the game just adding to the current standard they are competing at. What this team is achieving in such a small space of time is incredible.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

If you have been watching the game for 60 years as I have, how can you forget the Alex Murphy coached teams of 70/1 and 81/2, both composed of English players, especially the latter made up of local lads. Don’t forget they won the Top

league with only 5 losses. They did play scintillating rugby too. John Woods and Des Drummond cannot be bettered by the present incumbents.

Having said that, this team is the best one since then with an honourable mention to the 2 promoted squads of 2016 and 2022.

You cannot compare side due to eras but since the 10m rule and FT rl this is the best Leigh side by far

See that Luke Gale is still not making a show with Mr Applegarth saying :-

"Luke won’t be in the 21-man squad. He’s nursing a bit of a groin injury but we’re hoping it’s not too bad,”

Considering Gale has been there nearly a month and yet to put in an appearence, is this the injury he came to Wakey with? Was he not given a medical before signing with Mr Applegarth's statement "We're hoping it's not to bad" or was this a good piece of offloading by Keighley?

11 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Yes I was there well before '71 and that was a good team put to gether by Murph using his experience and nous by advertising nationwide for hopefuls to contact for a trial, and the '81 team of which as you say was made up of a lot of local lads who I knew personally very well and were good mates, it was a great team in it's time and obviously headed by Woody and Dessie.

But this present squad as @Leigh-On-Kiwi states for the short time it has been together they are showing some tremendous skill and camaraderie, will they get any better is the million dollar question, with one or three quality additions in the Woody or Dessie mould in the backs - Mr Lam unearthed French and Field for the British game, no saying he can't do that again, and that is taking nothing away from Amone and Asiata who are as good as any forwards from down under for quite a while.

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

"Luke won’t be in the 21-man squad. He’s nursing a bit of a groin injury but we’re hoping it’s not too bad,”

Considering Gale has been there nearly a month and yet to put in an appearence, is this the injury he came to Wakey with? Was he not given a medical before signing with Mr Applegarth's statement "We're hoping it's not to bad" or was this a good piece of offloading by Keighley?

It’s just another indication of the rank amateurism that pervades the club at all levels. Add in the stupidity that their desperation to end this losing run is generating and you get decisions like this one to sign Gale and the much more ludicrous decision to swap Corey Hall for Will Dagger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The usual clueless recruitment by those in charge of the club. Especially poor when you consider we paid a transfer fee for him as well. 

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I was there well before '71 and that was a good team put to gether by Murph using his experience and nous by advertising nationwide for hopefuls to contact for a trial, and the '81 team of which as you say was made up of a lot of local lads who I knew personally very well and were good mates, it was a great team in it's time and obviously headed by Woody and Dessie.

But this present squad as @Leigh-On-Kiwi states for the short time it has been together they are showing some tremendous skill and camaraderie, will they get any better is the million dollar question, with one or three quality additions in the Woody or Dessie mould in the backs - Mr Lam unearthed French and Field for the British game, no saying he can't do that again, and that is taking nothing away from Amone and Asiata who are as good as any forwards from down under for quite a while.

Don’t forget the 81/2 team were part time. Imagine what they would have been like if they were full time!!

5 hours ago, OMEGA said:

It’s just another indication of the rank amateurism that pervades the club at all levels. Add in the stupidity that their desperation to end this losing run is generating and you get decisions like this one to sign Gale and the much more ludicrous decision to swap Corey Hall for Will Dagger.

Correct Mad Mick Carter strikes again

21 hours ago, Patx71 said:

I agree. Last semi we played in 1987 was the day I got married so unfortunately I had to pass on that one.. So hoping for  a win at York so I can  watch the leythers in a Challenge cup semi final for the 3rd time.

Broke my Heart that game as we were the better side v Saints. Thankfully, we won the most important match of that season at Wilderspool to stay up. 

A trip to Wembley watching my team win lose or golden point would be my dream for sure. Really never expected it to be this year but SL this year is so unpredictable, anyone can beat anybody, including Wakefield beating us at Magic on Sun. 

I will be cheering the lads on with a Pint or 6 of Estrella hoping for another 2 points from the Canaries. If the weathers ######, might watch all 3 games 👍

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What an incentive for Leigh, if my figures are correct and we beat Wakefield by 30 we go 3rd and more importantly overtake Wigan.

The first 20 minutes will be critical Harry , Wakey will come out all guns blazing , withstand that and we should be ok 

And yes , I've done the maths as well , ssssshhhhhhhhh 

25 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The first 20 minutes will be critical Harry , Wakey will come out all guns blazing , withstand that and we should be ok 

And yes , I've done the maths as well , ssssshhhhhhhhh 

We haven’t got any guns to blaze!

We might huff and puff for 20 minutes, we may even get a repeat set or two but it’ll come to nowt, then we’ll fold up like faulty Blackpool deck chair

• Like 1

Well Trin team named. Lineham and Taufua have it to be the worst two wingers in SL by far. I can only think of Olipherts who comes close in being nearly as useless.

I think Trin will try hard, Fifita will have a positive presence and give them a lift. But try as they may, effort only takes you so far if skill is lacking. I would be really surprised if Trin win today.