Leigh and Salford joint top.

50 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Could we see French and Field jump ship to the better team in WMBC or would they struggle to break into this Leopards team? Decent back up though.

French very nearly came for the start of the season, but Wigan made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

• Like 1

After watching Leigh last week I thought they would run out of steam this week - they just keep proving people wrong. They’ve been impressive and I’m glad to see them up there (typing this with gritted teeth!). That shirt is still an abomination though.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes so he did at Canberra Anita, I got that wrong, but never the less what Mr Lam has done in 18 months at Leigh is nothing short of remarkable and that after most Wigan fans glad to see the back of him saying he was hopeless, I would sooner be watching this Leigh team than the boring stuff Matty Peets team are serving up, less French and Field of course, and they were both Lam's recruits at Wigan.

Assembling a squad at huge expense is a remarkable effort from the club’s owner,Lam’s done a good job but remarkable ??

Just now, Davo5 said:

Assembling a squad at huge expense is a remarkable effort from the club’s owner,Lam’s done a good job but remarkable ??

Yes I would say so Dav, in 18 months from zero according to Wigan fans to hero 3rd in SL with a team many expected to be fighting to avoid relegation.

Which team would you expect has spent more on this years squad Leigh or Wigan,I would say Wigan even with the 'Club Trained' allowances.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The 2017 Leigh squad was assembled at huge expense, as was Toronto 2020 and Salford 2016 and even the Leigh 2018 squad that failed to even make the qualifiers. Money helps, but it far from guarantees success in a salary capped sport. Of last nights squad there was probably only Mellor with more than 50 appearances for the club, so I'd say it is pretty remarkable how quickly Lam has put this team together and got them working as a unit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

The 2017 Leigh squad was assembled at huge expense, as was Toronto 2020 and Salford 2016 and even the Leigh 2018 squad that failed to even make the qualifiers. Money helps, but it far from guarantees success in a salary capped sport. Of last nights squad there was probably only Mellor with more than 50 appearances for the club, so I'd say it is pretty remarkable how quickly Lam has put this team together and got them working as a unit. 

That is the point , the cohesion he's got us playing with is outstanding 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Doubt it very much. French alone  probably costs any 3 Leigh players. It was rumored that Leigh had offered him £1M for 3 years but Wigan bettered that.

There is not a chance Wigan had to better any offer from Leigh to keep French.

It's a pity a good Wigan vs. Leigh thread was ruined by that bit at the beginning about Leigh and Salford being at the top of Super League.  Maybe the mods can delete those posts.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Harry - what's the long term plan with Leigh? Or is it a case of just living the dream with Del Boy bankrolling the club and the reversion to the mean, i.e., Blackburn/Leicester style.

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you don't know either.

You are the one making claims. From what I've been told you are talking rubbish.

Looking at this objectively I think most people would find it hard to believe that Wigan had to offer more than Leigh to stop French leaving for various reasons. French is happy at Wigan, Wigan are a bigger club, Leigh had only just won promotion, Leigh have been relegated everytime they have been in Super League and Beaumont is erratic and hasn't the best reputation when it come to looking after relegated players.

As such Leigh would have had to offer much more than Wigan to tempt French to leave. Not the other way round as you try to claim.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1